Bell to Chiefs. Done deal.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

He realized Mac as the wrong man for the job, wether he was ethical about it or not, he got him out. So IMO he deserves some level of credit. For all we know, he knew early on in the interview process Mac wasn’t the right man and planned on ousting him once he got in.

He didn’t want Bell, and yeah, he didn’t necessarily use him perfectly. That said, all the training camp reports I have read said he seemed to be slow, intimating past his prime. I don’t believe he’s lit it up in KC just yet. There’s a good chance he’s shot.

Regarding Mosley, I think the day after Mac and as ousted, reports surfaced that he didn’t want him or Leveon.

10000% I’m happy he’ll be out, but, the point I was making was that he isn’t a 100% complete moron and was right about 3-4 things. Had those things not happened and he gotten his way, would it of mattered? Ultimately, no.

azhar80 likes this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

From Merriam Webster:

1 : a very stupid person They were acting like a bunch of morons. 2 dated, now offensive : a person affected with mild intellectual disability.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If you're implying that Gase is smart/knowledgeable relative to other NFL head coaches, that's not true. The "Gase is smart" narrative is something he crafted to make himself employable; in reality, most coaches run circles around him with Xs and Os.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Br4d

How do you objectively know this to be true?

There are so many things wrong with the 2019 and 2020 Jets talent bases that it is hard to make the case that what Gase is doing is inherently unintelligent.

It's easy to make the case that he is a bad head coach because that's what his results over several years suggest. It's much harder to make the case that he is not as intelligent as the average NFL coach in terms of understanding the X's and O's. We just don't know enough about what those guys do for a living to be able to accurately compare them on that basis.

The biggest problems that Adam Gase has faced as the NY Jets head coach are those of perception and talent. The perception was stacked against him early on when a roomful of people who obviously did not understand NFL football presented him as the guy who was going to fix Darnold and move the Jets towards being a good team. That's when all the blinking began.

The second obvious shortfall was in talent as the Jets had drafted very poorly for an NFL lifetime before he arrived. Again, this fact was glossed over in his entry phase (and in Joe Douglas entry phase) as the marketing folk tried to get Jets ticket and merchandise sales out of the toilet - which is where a decade of bad drafting and team management tends to leave those things.

I'm all for getting rid of Gase at the end of the season. I'm fairly sure he's an average NFL coach at this point but he's clearly damaged beyond repair in the NY market and there's no point in moving forward with him. Why would we want an average guy in that job anyway? We should want a great HC not a guy oversold and under-supported.

azhar80 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Since Gase left Denver, where Peyton was almost certainly doing all the important work, this is how his offenses have ranked (note that he had a borderline elite QB in Miami albeit one who missed a lot of games; then again, there seems to be a pattern of Gase's QBs getting banged up):

2015 Bears: 21st total offense, 23rd scoring offense
    2016 Dolphins: 24th total offense, 17th scoring offense
    2017 Dolphins: 25th total offense, 28th scoring offense
    2018 Dolphins: 31st total offense, 26th scoring offense
    2019 Jets: 32nd total offense, 31st scoring offense
    2020 Jets: 32nd total offense, 32nd scoring offense

No way do your offenses do that badly over six years if you're good with Xs and Os. Plus there have been numerous articles criticizing his play-calling. For example: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2837130-stats-dont-lie-adam-gase-is-the-wrong-coach-for-sam-darnold-and-the-jets#:~:text=29.5 percent of Tannehill's completions,in 2017 were failed completions.

6. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Gase is not average coach! He is aurguably the worst coach in Jets history! And maybe nfl history! This team had the worst point differential of any team in nfl history, and he is the coach. Please the whole Gase is a genius scam the CJ bought is over, for the love of God, it is torture to watch my beloved Jets!!!! Gase is bad at many levels. And coaching is just one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

One word: "BRUTAL".

K'OB, NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

"You are what your record says you are" - Bill Parcells

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You could have added a word before it for greater effect tbh

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

So we can officially put the whole "the Jets ruined Bell!!" thing to rest right? He routinely looks as pedestrian with the Chiefs (as he did with us) and has been replaced by Darrell Williams in the four minute drive who looks like he's been shot out of a cannon in comparison.

Did we do that already and I missed it?

It's a shame. The dude ruined his career because he wanted more money (don't blame him on the latter part though). Probably could've been in contention for the HOF and maybe another SB run with Pittsburgh (in the three years he sat out/was with us) if he didn't do what he did.

11. Br4d

He got what he wanted, which was his money. He didn't get what he thought he was going to get but he made about $27M from the Jets.

I would be really happy if the Jets never signed another big name free agent again. Now and then a big name signs for a large guarantee and then earns it but nobody coming to the Jets does that. If you're willing to sign a big deal with the Jets that means you won coming in the door and are happy if that's the last winning you ever do.

We're a freaking graveyard for careers and we pay top dollar for that privilege.

12. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Leveon Bell is slow as molasses and a shell of his former self. There's a reason why you saw Damien Williams in the game late and not Bell. Why they gave Bell the ball twice on the goal line before settling for a field goal at one point is besides me and the Chiefs are lucky they didn't lose because of it.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

LOL.....Seahawk fans are screaming about running Bell (over the younger horses) the same way we yell about running Gore.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Has he moved again?

stinkyB, Footballgod214 and Centiment like this.
  15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I think he meant Chiefs.

I saw him last night, he's done. He's slow, dosnt break many tackles and his patient running is more negative than positive.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Chiefs were marching down the field with Darrel Williams (who?). They put Bell in and the play immediately went for a loss.

It doesn't really matter but the media hammered the Jets and talked about him when we released him like he was going to put a SB contender over the top and suddenly become his 2014 version again.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

From the little I've seen, the pattern seems to be they put him in midway through the first quarter, call a swing pass for him, and it gets 8-12 yards. After that, he's awful for the rest of the game.

How anyone can be surprised by this is beyond me - it has been obvious he was nothing like the runner he used to be from the day he joined the Jets. If this isn't a cautionary tale to both players and GMs about the wisdom of sitting for a year I don't know what is. It will be very interesting to see how all of the players who sat this year because of COVID (including Mosley, of course) do next year - if they're young it might not affect them much, but if they're veterans they should be scared shitless by just how bad Bell was when he came back.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

yeah he looks done. bell actually started for them CEH was out. bell didn't do shit. he still has great hands but not much else.

19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Well, according to some posters, Bell was part of a solid core of players that Douglas inherited when he joined the Jets.

I just don’t know who to believe.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If there was a solid core in place, there would've been no need to replace the GM last year. Gase's one good contribution to the organization was letting ownership know that Maccagnan was incompetent and had to go.

#140 CotcheryFan, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020