A Positive Viewpoint on the Jets' Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Nov 27, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There is certainly good reason for optimism given what Douglas has done so far, and the projected assets he has the opportunity to acquire in the next two years. But until he actually acquires those assets, I'm going to remain skeptical, or a "dark sider" as you put it. And I'll be even more of a dark sider if they retain Gase. In fact, I'll be so "dark", I'll vanish into the shadows of former fanhood.

88toon, Ray Lucas, REVISion and 9 others like this.
  3. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

As much as I think TL would be great, I’m accepting we may win a couple of games and that’s probably because Darnold played well with his full complement of offensive players. If so, I trust joe can move us forward in the right direction regardless.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I agree. We have some things to be hopeful for but we have heard this before. Were perfectly capable of blowing this. Most fans are at the "I'll believe it when I see it" stage.

But here we are again holding a bag full of hope. At this point if we don't get the #1 pick our future is looking pretty average.

Noam, Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree on all accounts, my friend. I don't consider you a darksider. Being skeptical is one thing, and probably THE right place to be considering our past, but being pessimistic and almost totally negative is what I consider a darksider, and sadly, we have several of those here.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Aside from issues with ownership we really could end up in good shape a couple seasons from now.

We really, really need to avoid giving huge contracts to bag holders like Trumaine Johnson who took a ton of cap space and gave us nothing in return.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree...but at least JD has already shown us that he isn’t going to operate that way...he could’ve signed a bunch of free agents last spring. He didn’t. He signed a bunch of very average guys to short term low dollar deals....most of them only for one year. He is very clearly operating with the long view in mind.

I am happier with JD so far than any GM going all the way back to Parcells....and that’s only because of Parcells the coach, not Parcells the GM. This is the best guy we’ve had since then...the loser list of Bradway, Idzik, and MacCaagnan is only broken up by a few years of success under Tannenbaum, and then he got too full of himself and his trade ups.

the one thing that really worries me though is Gase. I just don’t think he’s any good at all....not as a QB whisperer, not as an OC, and certainly not as a Head Coach. His record speaks for itself. It’s not just a one or two year fluke....it’s a includes two teams over 5 years. I’ve seen enough.

but until he’s fired, there’s a chance he is retained, and that scares the shit out of me....

remember, the Browns were stupid enough to retain Hue Jackson after an 0-16 year....they had to fire him mid season the next year. Does anyone think our owners are smarter than the Browns?

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

To be fair, I think JD has very little to do with the Gase decision, but if they do retain him, dark sider will not begin to describe my hope for this ownership.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Terry Bradway and Bill Parcells had some great drafts and got us some awesome free agents.

Parcells the GM got us Kevin Mawae, Curtis Martin, John Abraham, Shaun Ellis, Chad Pennington, Vinny Testaverde, Laverneous Coles, Randy Thomas, Jason Fergeson, Bryan Cox, Jason Fabini, and that's just off the top of my head.

Name anyone else who brought two hall of fame players here.

VegasMav and PJ4Ever like this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Yes, Douglas' 1st draft class looks great and we do have cap space, legitimate building blocks and lots of draft picks but there is a night and day difference between having the number one pick and any other pick.

Pair Trevor Lawrence with our assets and we should be attractive to any coaching candidate. But, to get the number one pick we might have to be perfect the next 6 games. It all starts with a loss to Miami which is not a given. Lose to Miami and I will start feeling a lot more optimistic about our future. We still have a lot of work to do these next 6 games. Go Dolphins.

Thanks for posting the article NCJets.

#10 Noam, Nov 27, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Even if we win 2 games we still will be picking second, which means Justin Fields would probably be the pick. I would rather have Lawrence but I would be quite happy with Fields.

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yes agree Parcells did get us some Greta players, but he also had a LOT of duds in his draft picks.

I think those were Parcells not Bradway...he was TERRIBLE.

13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Not really impressed with Fields. If we are at # 2, trade the pick and stock up.‘Darnold can be salvaged with a good coach. He’s still that young.

14. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Although they have yet to play one game in the NFL, Lawrence and Fields may be a better value than Darnold, especially when factoring in projected future salaries. For his best shot at success, Darnold obviously needs to go to a team that is ready to win now. Asking Sam to hang around for another complete rebuild would be demoralizing and unfair to him.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

To clarify, I wasn't implying that Douglas has the power to fire Gase, simply that if Gase is still, regardless of whatever other moves are made, they'll fail and I'll be done.

NYJetsO12 and LAJet like this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If JD simply drafts the right players, doesn’t overspend in FA, and properly builds a consistently good team the Johnsons would probably be more than happy to stay out of his way.

The problem is hiring the right coach......would Woody or Chris budge a little and give JD some leeway there?

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Due to my complete lack of faith in the dopey Johnson brothers, until Gase is actually fired, this remains my biggest fear.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Here’s my positive take on where we are at in the rebuild.

JDs draft is looking better every week. It was a rough start with all the injuries but Becton, Mims, Hall and Mann look legit starters moving forward. Perine I see as a 3rd down guy reminds me of a Duke Johnson.

$80 million in cap space in a free agent pool that has potential to be unbelievable. With guys like Dupree and Judon out there off the edge. Juju and Robinson at WR. Also with that cap space and teams that are way over the cap like the Saints (-94) million or Philly (-63) million a or Atlanta (-25) million. These teams will need to make some major moves and only team in a good cap situation will take that on.

Draft capital is the best the Jets have had in a long time. There is also a generational talent available with the first pick. It’s not a guarantee we get Lawrence but there is a chance. The exposer to prospects is limited because of Covid so preparation for the draft will be different and more about the eye test rather than dissecting 100’s of prospects

All in all for a 0-10 team the future could be bright just need a few lucky bounces to make it legendary.
    1. Get #1 overall and draft Trevor Lawrence
    2. Fire Gase
    3. Hire a great coach Harbaugh, Riley, Beiniemy, Arthur Smith.
    4. Take advantage of our cap situation through free agency and trades.
    5. Draft BPA because we have a lot of holes.
    6. Develop our young players.
    7. Sprinkle in some vets with strong character.

19. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Any chance that with teams way over the cap that we trade for a player with a big cap hit and get a draft pick as well (I think Cleveland did this at some point in the past few years where they took on a bloated contract and got a 2nd)

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we can do all that, we'll be consistent contenders for the AFC East title. But even at 25 years old, I've been a fan of this team for too long to hold my breath.