Tracking Douglas' First Rookie Class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Nov 23, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that Becton and Mims are going to be stars and great players. Davis has a chance to become a great player. Mann is a great punter. Hall has a good chance to become a good #2 CB. I think his lack of footspeed is the only thing that would keep him from becoming a #1 CB. I think Perine is a solid backup, RB by committee type. That's already a great draft. It's at least a triple, maybe a HR. If we get anything out of Zuniga and Morgan, then it's definitely a HR. The negativity and unrealistic expectations of some posters is ridiculous.

papapump likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Who cares about Claypool? Not me. He's had a great rookie season and I'm happy for him. Let's see how he does when Roethlisberger retires. Let's see if he can stay healthy. I think Mims will be as good and probably better than Claypool.

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Becton is trending towards elite
    Mims looks very good.
    Perrine looks like he belongs in the league
    As does Davis
    Liked the energy from Hall, I’m pretty high on him. He just needs some seasoning. Corner in a league when everything’s is DPI is a tough transition. The screen he broke up early in the game shows me he can diagnose a play, has good instincts and can and will tackle. He can be a good one.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It was in jest as a result of so many posts lamenting that we passed on him. It's too bad that Mims got hurt in TC. Otherwise, who knows where his production and would be right now.

Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

Sorry that I missed the sarcasm. Carry on.

6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

It's so awesome that there actually IS so much positivity in this easily separable subset of players on the roster. And every week more keeps bubbling to the surface - we knew Douglas was considered a rock star GM candidate, but as this class really starts emerging each week I keep getting the, "oh wow...is this really actually happening?" feeling.

Hopefully I can keep bumping this with positive results for the rest of the season.

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

perine loks so medicore to me. I don't get it. most teams have better backup RBs then him. I don't see him as anything more then a depth guy

with that said mims looks like a legit starting WR. maybe not a WR1 but at least a WR2. we'll have to see how he goes. Davis looked good to. will improve as he learns the game more. mann is a solid punter. Hall played well all things considered. Becton looks like a pro bowler. Zuniga hasn't shown much. clark hasn't played but they are mid round picks that need time. really the only pick I don't like so far is perine. morgan we won't know for a while

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've seen enough to feel good that Douglas is the best GM since at least Parcells (and IMO he's probably better than Tuna), so that gives me some comfort. That said, if Gase is retained, it doesn't matter because he'll continue to screw things up and have players performing less than they're capable of - at a minimum - and ruining some altogether. For me, the entire prospect of this team going forward hinges completely on whether Gase is the HC, everything else follow from that.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Like your assessment, only guy I’m not extremely high on is Davis, I know he is a good tackler but that is all he seems to be good at this point, someone else pointed it out but he does not blow up plays, break up passes, even when he’s asked to blitz he is not effective.

I’m not saying he’s a scrub, and I know he needs time to develop but you would think that with the amount of playing time he has gotten that he would have made some plays by know and even had an interception.

I’m still high on Joe Douglas draft class, like what I’m seeing.

FJF likes this.
  10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I can’t disagree with most of this thread. It looks the best draft class in a while, if only because the roster is so thin that pretty much all these rookies are getting a chance early.

However, I’m not sure about Perine. He doesn’t seem to have any burst, any power or any elusiveness. He might be a duel-threat back but he doesn’t seem to do much once in possession of the football.

blackssmagic likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Based on Joe Ds scoring system he is a good player that needs development, to your credit his 4.6, 40 is why he dropped to the 4th round.

Perrine is 5’11 and 215 lbs, could get a little more explosive with some time in weight room. Hope he doesn’t get too big though.

12. NCJetsfan

13. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Compared to the last 5-10 draft classes, this draft is elite. 3-5 starters, maybe some depth players. Normally 1 or 2 would have already been cut. Imagine, we have literally no players on the team from most of those draft classes, pathetic. JD seems to have the draft figured out, now he has to clean house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. NCJetsfan

15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That dude is on crack if he thinks Darnold will net the Jets a first round pick.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm absolutely loving this rookie class because of both Becton @ LT and Mins @ WR being+ blue chip prospects and I have to admit that Ashtyn Davis is beginning to look like a young Jamal Adams to me out there (12 tackles was amazing for me to see). Behind a much improved O-Line (moving forward) La'Mical Perine is going to become a Powell type of #2 household Jet name especially if backing up a Najee Harris type of animal.

We're going to have A+ draft capital come 2021's draft and I'm so anxious to see what JD can do.

17. NCJetsfan

18. NCJetsfan

19. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

This.

I said this before, the only way we’re going to see Morgan is if Flacco gets injured. The way he got rocked on that one play....it’s still a possibility, but Gase is going to do it as a last resort. I don’t think he’s tanking on purpose, he’s really trying to win, but he’s Adam Gase.

JD...I like what he’s doing, every one seems to be coming along except maybe for Zuniga. I can’t see him blowing all those picks next spring or even some. I think he’s going to build a very good team in a couple of years.

20. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

JD please do better than this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk