Tracking Douglas' First Rookie Class

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Every week it seems they show out more and more, but I couldn't find a singular thread to post updates in.

While it may not end up some legendary/all-time amount, the quality it appears he's pulled from the 2020 draft and UDFA period is such a stark contrast to his predecessors, and gives me a lot of hope that there's a legitimate turn around afoot - especially with the amount of picks he's proactively accumulated for the upcoming drafts.

Regardless if you like Douglas or not though, here's a thread where we can track how the rookies look each week.

barfolomew, hobgoblin, donkey and 5 others like this.
  2. Snatch Catch

3. Snatch Catch

4. Snatch Catch

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Mims and Becton clearly have what it takes to be legit starters in this league. I think Becton, if he can stay healthy, will be a top tier player at his position for years. Boy am I glad I was wrong about that one. Mims has all the tools necessary to be one, but we're going to need to bring it out of him. Considering we haven't developed an offensive player in, I don't know, 20 years, my hopes aren't high. But as far as drafting the right guy goes, Douglas absolutely nailed it with Mims. Perine... TBD... I think he's more of a committee guy but that's what you're looking at when you draft an RB where we drafted him. I like him though.

Even though he kinda got lit up, I love the way Bryce Hall played. He's super aggressive. He hasn't played football in what, a year? He's going to get it, no doubt in my mind. Again though, we need to get him there. Will we? Who knows.

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now all we need is a HC with a brain..

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Everything you said plus Ashtyn Davis might end up being the steal of the draft

8. BroadwayAaron

I was so jacked up about Hall that I forgot to add Davis to this list. He definitely needs some coaching because he’s all over the place right now but he has some great instincts and a knack for finding the ball.

9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Becton has to stay healthy. When he plays he s a force and has a huge impact.

Mims I really like and wish he gets more target but that will come. Good hands and hopefully going to be a star.

Davis still gets beat pretty easily but learning the routes and schemes. Is a tackler what I like.

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

you're right about Hall...he may be another steal.

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

And we need to hold onto the number one pick. Which is not a given. We still have a lot of wirk to do to get that pick. If the team keeps scoring like they have done the last 2 weeks it is likely they will win 1 or 2 games. We have 3 games left we likely could win if we play well. Most of all we need to lose next week.

The future looks so much brighter with Trevor Lawrence than without him.

Rockinz, Cman68, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Becton looks great as long as he stays healthy...he’s missed quite a bit of time already

Mims also looks really good tome...big, contested catches...he’ll be good

Davis may get there...he’s fast and active but haven’t really seen him make impactful plays...hasn’t broken up a lot of passes, no turnovers I believe....to me we’ll see. There is potential but not there yet...which is ok midway through his first season. He’s on track

Perine so far to me has looked like a Bilal Powell type back...someone who can play and be decent, but he hasn’t really made too many plays on his own, and seems more like a committee type guy I agree...someone that you can put in there, but you’d always be looking to upgrade as opposed to someone who you say, ok...we have our #1 RB

Too early to say much about Hall...he got beat a lot yesterday but Keenan Allen is a really good receiver...that’ll happen. He’s got a chance

Zuniga hasn’t done much but he hasn’t played much either.

Mann has been great, and for a team with a shitty offense like us, a great punter is important

Morgan ... what can I say? Kind of like Hackenberg...if you can’t get on the field even in such a losing season, that’s a bad sign. Like someone posted on another thread...the Jags run out Minshew and the other guy...6th round picks or something like that...at 0-10, what the fuck are we worried about? Losing a game? I get this was a long term pick for the future, but it’s not a great sign so far.

overall it’s great at the top, potential in the middle....and if Becton can stay healthy and give us dominant play on the line and Mims can develop into a really good receiver, it’ll turn out to be a nice draft class

blackssmagic and egelband like this.
  13. Snatch Catch

14. Snatch Catch

15. BroadwayAaron

That's where the numbers get funny. Because Davis and Jackson were scored on, their pass rating against is way higher. Hall got burned way more, his is god damn near half of Davis. Again... I don't care. I love the way Hall played, this is just another example of numbers playing tricks.

16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It’s worth noting that scouring Twitter and the likes that Hall held up pretty well out there despite him basically being the #1 CB and this is like his 2nd start of the year. He’s aggressive and he sticks on guys, you can tell he studies and has the quick twitch to make plays. Playing a vet like Allen who’s legit top 5 as a route runner is big time to me. There’s a difference in him then say Arthur Maulet who saw a ton of time and really had a tough go of it out there. Playing almost an all rookie secondary is hard to ask against the Chargers.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

18. NCJetsfan

Great thread. Thanks! It's nice to finally see some positivity.

nycarl, Pags2112, Ptflea2 and 4 others like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I don't think it's so much a matter of Morgan can't get on the field as Gase trying to save his career. If you were trying to turn things around and get some wins, would you start or play a 4th round rookie QB? I wouldn't. Gase can care less about developing players for the future or letting the Jets see what they have in Morgan. He's probably also done zip to help Morgan develop. Even if some of the pessimists here are right and Gase is returning as HC, he still doesn't want to go winless. He's going to play a veteran whom he thinks will give the Jets the best chance to win, and who will also utilize Mims and Perriman better than a rookie probably would be able to.

Morgan was a productive player, is a bit older and more mature and was in grad school, so he obviously has smarts, and he has talent. I don't think there's any way that it's a matter of him not being good enough to see playing time. Also, when have the Jets been so far ahead that they could afford to put Morgan in and let him get some reps?

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

In before someone mentions Claypool.

blackssmagic, K'OB and FJF like this.