How many years does JD get?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Oct 14, 2020.

?

How many years does JD get to show progress?

1. 2 more years

39 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. 3 more years

34 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. 6 more years

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
  4. 10 more years (5 year contract extension)

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Forever....

7 vote(s)
    7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We don't need to go 9-7 next year, but it shouldn't be hard to tell whether we got it right or not.

2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Teams probably shouldn't make major decisions based on this fucked up - no training camp - all team meetings on zoom - no players in the building - no fans in the stands - covid opt out - season. Firing your GM/HC or extending your HC/GM based on THIS season is probably an overreaction. This season has just been toooo messed up to use it as the basis for making major franchise altering decisions.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Firing Gase would be an overreaction?

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I hope you're not really directing this comment at the Gase situation.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah...COVID or not, Gase needs to go. You CAN’T give him the fucking COVID/injury excuse.

if this was his first year, then I can at least have that conversation. But this is his FIFTH year as a head coach. He sucked in Miami, got fired, and we had the only owners in the entire fucking league running down his door to hire him. No one else wanted any piece of his head coaching brilliance. He sucked then, and the same issues he had there are here with us now...lots of injuries, alienating key players, not using players to their strengths....the list goes on and on.

this is not new news...this is who he is

enough already

And I also agree that REAL talent does NOT take even three years to show.

a great HC will show that rather quickly...you’d see improvement in year one and you’d be pretty damn good in year two. The Rams are a great example of this as well...they canned Jeff Fisher, brought in Sean McVay, and voila. They didn’t need a damn five year plan. You know who needs five year plans? The Freddie Kitchens’ of the world. Or the Jason Garrett’s of the world...

so yeah, we need to fire Gase like yesterday and try the next guy and hope that the Johnsons stay the fuck away from the process

6. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

So what about Rhule who came here and turned around the Panthers to be at the very least a decent team without all the preseason work you just mentioned? Or the several coaches that other teams fired for bad performances this season? Gase is in his second year with the team with many of the same players that came back from 2019 (save the OL). We have been historically bad and may possibly be the worst team in history if these games continue to be blowouts. There is no excuse for this regardless of what kind of offseason training there was.

This is what the Jets try to sell you, that rebuilding takes several years, but we've seen many examples of other teams that did in 1-2 years tops. Hell theres two teams in our division that did just that. The Johnsons' are just taking us for fools to sell a piss poor product.

7. Footballgod214

Just trying to prepare you for the post season press conference.

If Gase was definitely gone, they would have fired him at the bye and slid Williams over. The fact he's still here and in charge, tells me the Johnsons haven't decided yet. And if Gase pulls off a few wins to end the season, who knows? Every fan and every sports talk hosts all say Gase is 100% gone. That alone makes me think he might still be here for 2021.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Sorry I misunderstood. It’s certainly possible but I am not sure how in the world they could sell that to fans. I understand that organizations don’t make every decision on what the fans want, but this is probably a 2-14 team tops. Even if Lawrence comes here, fans are not going to be happy that the same guy who was a big factor in ruining Darnold is going to coach another QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets79 and Footballgod214 like this.
  9. Footballgod214

This is how they sell it but a few things have to happen: Sam has to play well and win a few games, knocking us out of the TL sweepstakes. Second, Covid has to threaten our 2021 TC (again). Johnsons will tell us the team needs continuity due to the uncertain landscape, and Gase gives us that. Johnsons will say they don't wanna tear things down and start from scratch with a new coaching staff. yada yada yada. I still think Gase HAS to be gone, but I can see a slight path were he actually gets another year.

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

the “continuity” argument literally drives me fucking bonkers

it is THE most asinine commentary talk track

media idiots talk about continuity as if it were the CAUSE of success, whereas in actuality it is the RESULT of success

they point to teams like the Patriots and Steelers as proof that you need continuity, whereas those teams have that continuity because they actually have great front offices and/or coaches who DESERVE to be retained.

keeping a shitty coach on board for the sake of “continuity” only ensures continued mediocrity.

why can’t they understand that?

we had Mac for five fucking years! What did he get us??? Jack fucking shit!

we don’t NEED five years to figure out that Gase sucks...we can see that in two years!

what did the Rams get for keeping Jeff Fisher on for years? They got 7-9 like 3 or 4 years running...

Gase sucked at Miami...he has sucked here...he is what he is
    Let’s move on

11. HomeoftheJets

[​IMG]

12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Turned the Panthers into a 3-7 team lmao, Jesus sign me up for that major turn around!!!!

cval likes this.
  13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You are forgetting the coaching angle though. Gase is terrible. Flores and Kingsbury on the other hand are great coaches. This year's Jets weren't 0-9 material. Give this roster to Flores and we would probably win a few.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. HomeoftheJets

I'm talking about patience in general, including coaching.

Brook! likes this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Might as well sticky it at this point because it’s been said so many times. Take a coherent opposing viewpoint and throw that in as well, and then we wait.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! Continuity only is a positive factor when the leadership and CS a team has in place is good. When they're mediocre or bad, it just means continued mediocrity and frustration for the players and fan base. Stability is what we should be seeking, and that only comes when one has a solid foundation of leadership and excellence in the FO, quality teaching, coaching (including game prep and planning, making in-game adjustments, and game management), and player development with the HC and CS. This includes a shared vision and identity and way of doing things.

ColoradoContrails and Jets79 like this.
  17. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If the team goes 0-16 they're really going to bring him back?

18. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

If there's one thing we know about Woody and the Johnsons, it's that they are easily influenced by public pressure. We saw that in 2003 when we moved up to take Dwayne Robertson, when Mangini was fired, when Rex was given an extension, when Idzik was gone after just 2 years.

Gase is gone. I suspect that the Johnson's aren't as dumb as some here think they are....that they realize firing Gase mid-season does NOTHING to help the team because it might spur whomever replaces him to win 1 or 2 or 3 games and screw up the #1/#2 draft picks (#2 is probably secure, #1 still in doubt).

19. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I will worry about that later.

Let's finish 0-16 first, OK ? :D

20. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

IMO, Gase basically signed his own firing admitting that he's failed to advance Sam's career. If they finish 0-16 can the Johnson's really be dumb enough to entrust him with TL too?