2021 Draft Strategy

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MaximusD163, Jul 31, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I did a simulated mock draft on TDN and got the following picks:

• 1. Ja'Marr Chase WR, LSU
    • 31. Josh Myers IOL, Ohio State
    • 33. Kenneth Gainwell RB, Memphis
    • 65. Tyree Jackson CB, Ohio State
    • 94. Merlin Robertson LB, Arizona State
    • 96. Jake Ferguson TE, Wisconsin
    • 128. Anthony Schwartz WR, Auburn
    • 129. Daelin Hayes Edge, Notre Dame
    • 179 Leon O'Neal Jr S, Texas A&M
    • 192. Trey Hill IOL, Georgia

The OL overhaul continues, more weapons are added for Sam, a CB with upside is taken in round 3, and potential depth on both sides is acquired in the late rounds.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Your score is: 45113 (GRADE: A)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 23 (ARI): DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 29: Shaun Wade, CB, Ohio State (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 5: Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 6 (MIA): Jackson Carman, OG/OT, Clemson (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 9 (DAL): Najee Harris, RB, Alabama (A-)
    Round 2 Pick 18 (S.F.): Tyson Campbell, CB, Georgia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 23 (ARI): Xavier Thomas, DE/OLB, Clemson (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 5: AmonRa St Brown, WR, USC (A)
    Round 3 Pick 9 (DAL): Cade Mays, OG, Tennessee (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 28: Asante Samuel, CB, Florida State (A)
    Round 4 Pick 5: Chazz Surratt, ILB/OLB, North Carolina (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 2: Alijah VeraTucker, OG, USC (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 5: Tyler Vrabel, OT, Boston College (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 5: Dazz Newsome, WR, North Carolina (A+)
    Round 7 Pick 29: Sam Williams, DE/OLB, Mississippi (A+)

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

1: Trevor Lawrence QB
    Sea: Davonte Smith WR
    2: Najee Harris RB

that would be a nice core moving forward

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Where does Rashod Batemen go in the 2021 draft? His footwork and ability to off the line is pure sex.

5. CotcheryFan

I've seen him mocked in the late 1st to somewhere in round 2. Would be a nice pick if we can get him.

dawinner127 likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Are you a paying member? I tried to do a 7-round draft, and all I could do was 1st round.

7. CotcheryFan

No, I'm not. I can still do a 7 round mock. Is this the site you're using? https://thedraftnetwork.com/mock-draft-machine

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Yes, thanks. It's working now, but the other night when I clicked on the drop-down menu, 1 (round) was the only choice.

9. NCJetsfan

Here's my first draft this year on TDN:

• 1. New York Jets
      Trevor Lawrence
      QB, Clemson
    • 26. New York Jets
      Terrace Marshall Jr.
      WR, LSU
    • 33.New York Jets
      Najee Harris
      RB, Alabama
    • 65. New York Jets
      Brevin Jordan
      TE, Miami
    • 89. New York Jets
      Patrick Jones II
      EDGE, Pittsburgh
    • 102. New York Jets
      Elijah Molden
      CB, Washington
    • 141. New York Jets
      Reggie Roberson Jr.
      WR, SMU
    • 144. New York Jets
      Jack Anderson
      IOL, Texas Tech
    • 190. New York Jets
      Chris Rumph II
      EDGE, Duke

10. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I love this draft, particularly with Marshall and Harris at 26 and 33. However, I'm concerned that it doesn't adequately address our pathetic pass rush/pass defense. Desir will be gone, Austin does not appear to be a #1 CB, and who knows what we have in Hall, but it's certainly questionable that he will be the #1 CB next year. I would hate to have Lawrence pressured to put up 45 points a game to have any chance at winning. It's certainly questionable whether Patrick Jones II will be available at 89 (Draft Network has him at 51 and Great Blue North has him at 64), and I'm sick of our cornerbacks being slow (Draft Network notes that Elijah Molden has "a lack of good deep speed").

Our current three wide receivers (Perriman, Crowder, Mims) look at least adequate when healthy and with good quarterbacking (which Lawrence will provide). Also, we need to factor in that the 2021 WR crop is judged to be exceptionally deep, with many intriguing sleepers. Consequently, a good WR is very likely to be available to us at pick 65 (first pick in 3rd round). These will possibly include: Amon-Ra St. Brown, Tamorrion Terry, Justyn Ross, Seth Williams, TJ Vasher, and Damon Hazelton.

In this light, I think we should consider shoring up the pass rush/cornerback situation first. We could take a CB at 26 (possibly our choice of Shaun Wade, Jaycee Horn, Tyson Campbell, or Eric Stokes), and an edge rusher at 33 (possibly our choice of Quincy Roche, Kwity Paye, Joseph Ossai, Hamilcar Rashed, Patrick Jones II, or Azeez Ojulari).

We then take one of the sleeper receivers at 65 and the best available RB, TE, IOL, and CB at 89, 102, 141, and 144. Agreed that we can't fix all our problems at once, but I think we can shore up our pass defense in a major way and still get a good WR at 65.

11. WoodyHarrelson

I will say this. There are plenty of WR options emerging this year that could be taken with that 2nd pick in round 1 or trade back. The first two that come to mind are Elijah More, WR Ole Miss who is lighting it up this year. Secondly is AMA St Brown on USC. Terrance Marshall will get some looks too. Again, if Justyn Ross opts they can draft him and stash him as he recovers from neck injury in round 3 if I had to guess.

an edge rusher in really high on is Jalen Phillips number 15 on the U. Always around the ball and more noticeable than Roche imo.

as of now, I’d go
    Lawerence
    Best interior OL, Trey Smith
    Address round 2 with a slight trade back maybe

12. NCJetsfan

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I think your approach would lead to whomever is our starting QB failing, and if we're going to approach the draft that way, then we might as well just trade down and try to get a bevy of picks.

I think that Edge and CB can wait until 2022 if necessary. QB is THE most important position, and the most important thing after that is making sure that the QB succeeds. Drafting D high will not do that, in fact, it will probably guarantee that the QB struggles, and quite likely fails just like all of our previous QBs that we've drafted in the last 20 years. First and foremost imo, is surrounding whomever is the new starting QB with topnotch offensive skill position players so that he has every chance to succeed. Surrounding that QB with "sleepers" who could take time to develop, and more than likely will, or who are less talented will do nothing to help that QB. Can we possibly find decent or even good WRs lower in the draft? Yes, but that isn't the goal nor should it be. We need to find the best kill position players that we can. One of the Jets glaring issues for years is that their skill position players on both sides of the ball have been average or worse, subpar. Whereas we definitely need a stud pass rush and a #1 CB, those will do nothing to help the rookie QB develop, and the lack of quality offensive skill position players could cause him to fail, just as we have helped cause Darnold to fail. How many times do we have to repeat history in order for people to wake up? We can draft an Edge and #1 CB in 2022 after our QB has a year's experience with the best weapons with which we can surround him.

With great skill position players around Lawrence, we at least have a chance of scoring 45 points and winning. With "adequate" or mediocre or average skill position players, we may be lucky to put up 20 points, and we won't win with D alone. The NFL is an offensive league. The rules favor the offense. Yes, a good D is needed in the playoffs, but one has to reach the playoffs first, and a mediocre offense and great defense isn't getting you to the playoffs. As it is, we're going to miss out on the top WRs, and quite likely the top TEs, and the top RB. Waiting to draft offensive skill positions to the mid rounds will all but guarantee whichever QB we draft will fail and will just continue the same dumb approach the Jets have been using for the last 10-20 years.

Amon-Ra is a slot WR. We have zero use for him. Justyn Ross is a slower, possession-type WR and is an X as is Mims. Seth Williams is a very good prospect, but he too is an X, supposedly has a limited route tree, has some hip stiffness, and likely will have problems getting off the LOS. Tamorrion Terry is also an X, has a problem with drops, isn't a good route runner, and supposedly has some issues tracking the ball. Damon Hazelton is an X, looks like a meh-type prospect, and I don't like the fact that he has transferred twice. I love Vasher's height, but no 5th or 6th round WR is likely to help our rookie QB.

By putting a priority on Edge and CB, you'll improve the D, but the D alone won't be enough to win, and you'll more than likely cause our rookie QB to fail. We'd have a much better chance of winning and being competitive with a strong offense that can put up a lot of points, than with a continued mediocre offense (Lawrence or Fields alone aren't going to get it done), and a strong defense. That is just not what the NFL is these days.

REVISion likes this.
  13. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Maybe you're right that we should concentrate on offense to support Lawrence. As I said, I couldn't complain about getting Lawrence, Marshall, and Harris with our first three picks. However, I think you may be overestimating the importance of taking a WR in the first round. Let's check out the first round WR's in the last five drafts:

2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquan Treadwell (the next two picked were Sterling Shepard at 40 and Michael Thomas at 47)

2017: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross (JuJu Smith Schuster was taken at 62, Cooper Kupp at 69, Chris Godwin at 84, and Kenny Golliday at 96)

2018: DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley (Courtland Sutton was taken at 40, DJ Chark at 61, Michael Gallup at 81)

2019: Marquise Brown, N'Keal Harry (AJ Brown was taken at 51, DK Metcalf at 64, and Terry McLaurin at 76)

2020: Henry Ruggs, Jerry Jeudy, Cee Dee Lam, Jalen Reagor, Justin Jefferson, Brandon Aiyuk (Tee Higgens was taken at 33, Michael Pittman at 34, Laviska Shenault at 42, Chase Claypool at 49, and Denzel Mims at 59)

One could argue that a team seeking a WR would have been better off picking one later than the first round for years 2016 through 2019. Even for 2020, that we could get Mims, a WR with tremendous talent and upside at 59 has made an impression on me that maybe we can luck out again with a falling WR at 65 in 2021. This is particularly true because somebody has pointed out that many teams won't be taking a WR early in 2021 because they took one early in 2020.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I agree that we don't have to draft a WR in the 1st round to find a good WR. I know that they have been found in other rounds. The problem is that more than likely, we won't get a WR in the 1st round anyway unless it's Marshall or someone drops unexpectedly. The top 5-6 WRs could all go earlier in the 1st round. Both Pitts and Freiermuth (the top two TEs) will probably be gone. Etienne will undoubtedly be gone as well. There's a pretty big drop off after Marshall. I've run a bunch of mock drafts on The Draft Network, and unless the Jets and NFL rate the prospects radically differently, if we don't get Marshall, the next best shot we have is in the 4th round unless we reach. If we could get Pitts or Freiermuth at #26, that's as good as getting a WR, and would help the blocking as well.

We're in a rough spot since Darnold didn't work out. Actually, we may wind up having to take a DE and or CB with Seattle's 1st round pick and our 2nd round pick, as otherwise, we'd have to reach for an offensive player, although there may be a really good OG prospect at one of those spots. I'd love to add either Najee Harris or Gainwell of Memphis at RB, but both may be ranked lower than the #1 pick in the 2nd and go in the 2nd round. Like many other drafts, the best players available at our picks may be defensive players. If we're going to get some weapons for Lawrence or Fields, Douglas may have to be a wizard trading down or getting lucky like he did with Mims falling to him after he traded down in the 2nd.

I don't want to have to depend upon luck, do you? Our luck as Jets fans hasn't been great, but we may really need to be lucky in this draft. I hope that whomever told you that not many teams are likely to take a WR high this year is right, as on two different sites with fans or computers doing the drafting they're disappearing in the mocks by Seattle's pick in the 1st round.

First and foremost, I want Lawrence or Fields to succeed as our QB. Second, I just want to see the Jets have a real, honest-to-God NFL caliber offense that can put up a lot of points. I'm tired of all the scrubs we've trotted out on the field hoping that they can overachieve. I want some real playmakers, studs at the skill positions. Mims and Crowder are a very good start imo, but even if we bring Perriman back, due to his injury issues, we need to have at least two other capable WRs not counting J. Smith or Berrios. For diversity sake and to keep opposing defenses off balance, we need a quality TE as well. We've received nothing from the TE position this year, and I don't want to count on the new HC being able to fix Herndon. We also need a RB who is a good receiver and who is a HR threat.

joelip likes this.
  15. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Yes, part of my defensive speculation had to do with seeing the possible offensive/defensive board in the late 20's. However, again I think WR Marshall would be a fine pick for that spot, and I would be overjoyed to see RB Harris at 33 (I don't care where he's supposed to go; this man is a stud RB who would take pressure off Lawrence, well worth the pick).

I also think you make a good point that, if worst comes to worst regarding WR's, we could go TE with the Seattle's pick, giving Lawrence another target and a blocker for Harris. I do think, though, that some wide receivers will be worthy of being picked between the 2nd and 4th rounds, if we decide to go for RB later.

My main concern remains CB, which in my view is a complete disaster area. My impression is that the kind of play we had this year is likely to continue into next year without a major CB investment, and I think our CB's can give up 80-yard TD's faster than Lawrence can throw them with our OL and receivers. It's hard not to share your frustration with our offensive impotence, though. It seems that we will just have to pray that our Jets draft "luck" has changed, with the hope that Douglas (who had a good draft in 2020) will make a bonanza out of substantial draft capital this year and in subsequent years (and become the "anti-Idzik"!).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. WoodyHarrelson

No! Look at Juju and Claypoool. Same kind of players and work fine.

17. CotcheryFan

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

That would be totally awesome, but I would be shocked if Bateman is sitting there at Seattle's pick and Freiermuth is sitting there at our pick at the top of the 2nd round.

19. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

I for one am very ok with continuing to trade down (after taking Trevor Lawrence) and keep money ball stockpiling picks indefinitely. Even if we knock this off-season out of the park this entire roster is going to refreshed from the ground up over a period of a few years.

We now have the level of draft capital that we have more picks than would likely even be wise to blow in a year.

20. WoodyHarrelson

If we somehow get Allen Robinson or a true number 1 WR in FA then we are set. Maybe Corey Davis but drafting and tracking back for lineman and whoever could be huge, good WR aren’t always readily available.