Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

All the media LOVES Sam !!

Every media outlet is positive on Sam and on us being able to match or exceed the Josh Rosen haul....Sam has played BETTER with less weapons than Rosen.

Just today, SI's Albert Breer is discussing the possibility of multiple bidders for Sam.....Indy loved him in 2018. You want Sam or Rivers the next 3 years ?

NFL Network talking heads -- love Sam. ESPN talking heads -- love Sam. The Athletic with lots of praise for Sam.

Look, Sam may be a less-talented version of Jeff George who never lives up to his hype. Maybe the bidding market for him (assuming we are trading him) never materializes. Maybe he's out of the league in 5 years (I doubt it). Maybe he's only a career backup (doubt it).

Call me stupid, but I still think Sam has a chance to be the best of the 2018 QB Class. He just has to stay healthy (would help if he doesn't get slammed by DL'ers who get flagged for breathing on Mahomes or Brady but non-penalty on Sam). He needs a decent OL and some WR's and continuity....continuity......continuity.

2. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The interesting thing is that so many are coming out of the woodwork to tell Trevor to stay in school if the Jets have the #1 Pick.. Steve Young being the latest.

That’s not a knock on Sam, quite the opposite...
    The Jets have done nothing to help this kid.

I’ve never have been a believer in a Qb being ruined. I always thought they either had “it” or they did not.

The NY Jets and what they have done to Sam Darnold has 100% flipped that script for me.

Since1969 likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We haven't done much to help Sam but Sam's main issues in the NFL are the exact same ones he had in college. He still throws boneheaded picks and has bad footwork. Because of that it's hard for me to fully buy into the "we ruined him" thing.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The media has always been high on Sam even before we drafted him. I don't think the league is as high on him as the media is.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darnold said in interviews prior to the draft that he was not planning on changing his throwing motion, at the time being professionally criticized for having a hitch at the top of the motion, for the NFL.

His best chance to be really good at this point is to find a genuine QB guru whom he respects and is willing to listen too. That's the best chance he gets the hitch taken care of and his footwork becomes solid.

JetsKickAss and REVISion like this.
  6. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

That I don’t get. There’s going to be the Giants at 0-16 picking next year with no talent. He’ll come out. Clemson doesn’t want to lose DJ too..

JetsKickAss likes this.
  7. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

That raises the interesting question of whether his mechanical issues can be fixed. A few years ago, SI had an article in which QB guru Tom House said that significant mechanical changes require at least 10,000 reps before they become muscle memory. Those reps have to supervised by someone who knows what he's doing to make sure the QB is doing things right. That shows just how difficult it is for a QB to change his mechanics and why so many young QBs never successfully change.

This isn't baseball, where a pitcher has plenty of time between pitches to think about mechanics. Once the ball is snapped, the QB has plenty of other things to think about, and his throws have to be pure muscle memory.

The larger question is just what QB problems can be fixed. Look at how many highly touted prospects get drafted high and fail. Many have issues when they're drafted: locking onto the primary receiver, a mechanical problem in throwing motion, happy feet, accuracy issues. Few of these guys seem to be able to fix those issue, and many highly drafted QBs wind up as game managers, career back-ups or out of the league.

MoWilkBeast, Br4d and JetsKickAss like this.
  8. JetsKickAss

He did ? Are you sure ? I wonder if he is saying that just because he's a BIG Sam fan.

Anybody saying that TL should stay in school if and only if the Jets have the #1 pick is a 1st-rate MORON. First of all, he's not going to the Steelers or SanFran or New England or any other well-run team. The team is going to stink.

Second, in NY the marketing $$$ he can make will be fantastic. I suspect TL or any other "savior" can make as much in marketing/commercials/endorsements during his rookie contract as the contract itself.

9. JetsKickAss

You could be right.

But right now....it looks like the Jets, if they are trading Sam in 4-5 months, could find themselves with MULTIPLE bidders !!!

10. SoylentGreen

He basically said the Jets are dysfunctional and he wouldn’t advise going to a team with no plan + you had to try to carry on your back... better to go back to school Trevor.

Fans are the only ones who think a Qb alone can win in today’s NFL.

I think in a lot of experts minds, Darnold is not the issue. On other teams, Qb’s have 7/10 throws that are routine and maybe 3/10 throws that are under pressure, no window, etc.. On the Jets it’s the reverse... Darnold has not been good + is making more mistakes but he’s being asked to do more than any other qb in the league right now... very hard for the game to slow up when you got no running game, a shoddy pass protecting line, and journeyman WR’s besides Crowder... take away Crowder and in the games he’s played, he’s had nothing. The TE’s are terrible, and we run 53 year old Gore 20 times/game... you can’t win games with who they have and how they game plan.

Darnold is just 23... we need to take a step back if TL or Fields don’t materialize...

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

On Monday Night Countdown? Steve Young basically questioned Adam Gase, and then Schefter said "Gase is not going to be the Head Coach" and then they all agreed Lawrence was coming out and moved on. Wouldn't say Young told Lawrence to stay in school. Kind of misleading, unless he said it on some other show.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The problem with that thinking is that Rosen was traded after his first rookie year. At that time it was not obvious yet what player he was going to be, since he was just a rookie. When Rosen played a few games in second year and sucked his value went literally to 0.

Sam is a 3 year veteran now, and he plays like Rosen did in Rosen's rookie year. If this continues, there is no chance he can get anywhere near the same value Rosen did after rookie season, but more like after second one, which is pretty much zilch. If he steps up a bit, plays a few games like Flacco just did, then he can raise his value. But if he ends the season with 65-70 passer rating, his value will be pretty close to 0, like Rosen's was after his second year.

Exacerbating his current disastrous performance is the fact that old washed up Flacco coming off significant injury, after 4 games is pretty much at the same level statistically as before. The argument that Sam sucks so much because Jets other players are bad, while old Flacco is pretty much playing as expected does not really hold much water any longer.

REVISion and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. SoylentGreen

I didn’t hear what he said on MNC... but I read several articles that basically quote him saying exactly what I said. Including this one from today:

https://rubbingtherock.com/2020/11/12/trevor-lawrence-stay-clemson-young/

14. SoylentGreen

Sam played without starting WR’s against 5 good defense: Bills x 2, KC, Colts, SF

Last game was against a wheels falling off, depleted NE team... it was miracle the Jets found a way to lose.

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i watched that show

Young DID say he should stay in school if the Jets have the first pick...and the reasons he gave were exactly those...that the Jets don’t look like a team with a plan, and that he’d have to carry the team on his back, and that Gase is the coach. Basically saying the Jets have a shitty head coach and are a hot mess, without actually saying those words. But you can tell he doesn’t think much at all of the Jets as an organization and doesn’t have any faith we’d get better

then Schefter reacted to Young’s comments about Gase and said something like “Well, Gase won’t be the coach”. But the way he said it, he didn’t cite any sources or say he has any inside info on that...it was more like two guys talking and one says “well, Gase sucks” and then Schefter answered “well, what if Gase ISN’T the coach”...kind of like asking Young a hypothetical question like ok well, if Gase isn’t the coach, would you STILL tell TL to stay in school?

it was that kind of tone. It was not AT ALL like one of Schefter’s insider updates telling us that he knows that Gase will be fired. Not at all.

so you really can’t take his comments about Gase being fired as anything other than the same conversations we have here on this board. Everyone with eyes and a brain KNOWS Gase needs to go, but then the Johnsons are morons and we wouldn’t put anything past them when it comes to their propensity to make absolutely idiotic decisions.

On to the real point, I think the stay in school discussion is interesting, and there is precedent for it....Peyton did it to us before. The reality is that pretty much ANY team picking first overall is going to suck. The question is why they suck. And much like the Browns and Bengals, we have a long history of sucking....not quite as bad as those two teams, but every bit as dysfunctional as they have been, and we have owners who are so clearly and obviously incompetent that it’s a valid discussion.

TL can look and see how we failed at building around Darnold and say yeah, I don’t want to go down that road. Realistically, it would not make sense to go back to school and risk injury and pass up on millions now, but he could also try to force a trade. There is precedent on that too.

so the key to me is Douglas. First, we need to fire Gase. That to me is a nonstarter...that HAS to happen. Then Douglas is going to have to convince TL that he has a plan and the history is just that...history managed by other bad GMs.

we have all the leverage...TL can only either stay in school (not likely due to risk and the fact that next years top pick is going to be a shitty team also) or demand a trade (again, he has no leverage here either other than sit out and delay signing for millions, so again not likely)

but I think JD is going to have to sell him a bit

but anyway, this is way ahead of things...there are still 7 games left, Jacksonville is not going to win more than 1 more most likely, and may not even do that, and we are still far away from that top pick

#1315 Jets79, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

If theres one thing I learned about the media its that they parrot narratives. Most of them don't actually understand the game more. This simply repeat what they hear

Darnold is a problem with this team. His mechanics are awful and that's why he has the problems he has. You can see it in players like Cam Newton, who also has bad throwing mechanics. This is why he struggles with accuracy time and time again. When he can't run and dominate with his legs Cam Newton is average to below at best

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

17. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Stupid.

18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

How about we stop clamoring for the guy with "potential" thats all we do as jets? How about someone who can actually play that doesn't need to overhaul their entire mechanics?

We love having qbs on this roster that fit this above description. Im done with Sam, hes worse than sanchez ever was, stop blaming the talent. Crowder has been great, Robby was solid, he had 3 decent tight ends and even last year when we were winning, he still didnt look that good.

Yes gase sucks, but Sam deserves some blame too. Inaccuracy, inability to stay healthy, cant read defenses. I mean cmon

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sam hasn't played with ALL three starting WR's but he's played plenty of games with most of them healthy. Getting one more starting WR back doesn't take a guy from worst QB rating in the league to "good".

And if you want to nitpick like that then Flacco didn't have his starting LT for most of the Pats game.

Borat and matt robinson 17 like this.
  20. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

An anti Jets agenda definitely exist in the media for whatever reason.

zace and The Dark Knight like this.