Sam darnold and why we should keep him (read before you flame)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was initially on board with keeping him and trying to hope for a Rivers/Brees scenario but I just don't think it's a good idea.

There's a slim possibility we help ourselves a ton and a very big possibility we hurt ourselves a ton. If you keep him and pickup his fifth year option and he struggles or is unspectacular then he untradable. Because you then trade him and essentially mandate a team take on the 5th year option on a contract that is not cap friendly in any sense.

If he stays and he plays very well, then how much value did he really add? Because if you draft Lawrence or Fields the only reason you're keeping Darnold is to improve his trade value as he has no future here with a top pick waiting in the wings on his rookie contract. Does he move his value up from say a 2nd round pick (#37?) up to a 1st round pick (#20?)?

I just don't see the risk being worth it honestly. Take the second and the fifth if it's there and move on and add some more ammo to build a stellar offense around Lawrence or Fields.

REVISion, Red Menace and K'OB like this.
  2. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I would think teams like the Steelers, Colts, Saints, and maybe the 49ers if they want to move on from JG would be interested in a possible trade for Darnold. The Jets are most likely taking Lawrence and if they don't get the #1 pick then it will be Fields.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Would be nice if we could get back our two 2nd's for Sam, even if in different drafts.

ukjetsfan and K'OB like this.
  4. Footballgod214

Brady could be one and done in Tampa as well....they have a stacked team and won't want to start over looking for a QB if Brady retires (or he keeps playing like he did Sunday night against the Saints!).

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Why wouldn't any of those franchises want to draft a guy with a clean slate that they can indoctrinate into their system much easier?

I think people try to look at Darnold through the lens of him as a prospect. Unfortunately he's not. He's an NFL veteran who has been used and abused by the franchise and league he plays in. He has three additional years of bad habits and bad coaching under his belt than any prospect has.

I don't think your choices in teams is inherently wrong (except the Steelers - they don't make deals like that as they draft their own), but I think it's what makes dealing Darnold for anything significant problematic.

6. Footballgod214

Due to the chatter on here and the high possibility we might end up with him, I started watching him a bit. Really impressive. I wouldn't be mad, especially the new 4 yr rookie contract plus the extra pick(s) we'd get for Sammie.

7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i think we're selling Sam short -- i.e., selling low. I can imagine all kinds of teams being interested in him including ones who know how to handle QBs, e.g., Packers, Saints, maybe Tampa, Indy. they would just have to start bidding against each other

I'm also in no hurry to dump Sam. Not saying I'm against it, but admitting i'm not a QB guru (far from it) to tell if he's good but a "victim of circumstance" (to borrow a phrase made popular by the three stooges) or whether he's bad/mediocre. How would he perform with a well defined pocket, a full complement of capable receivers, and an effective running game (e.g., have to imagine Derrick Henry is just as responsible for Tannehill's performance as the OC)? I don't know, but i hope that JD or one of his people is capable enough to diagnose the root of the problem(s) -- whatever it is -- and fix it (now that we have the money and cap assets to do so)

8. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I can't agree. Sam is damaged goods. He needs a team that is ready to win now and he needs far better coaching.

Keeping him doesn't help him or the Jets.

REVISion likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sam has consistently been a bottom 5 starting QB in the league and has often been dead last. You don't get much in return for guys like that. You can find game manager QB's who won't lose games for you for a cheaper price.

94Abraham likes this.
  10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Is this a strong QB class once you get past Lawrence and Fields? The teams I mentioned are playoff bound so look at where they will be picking in the draft. You have to figure low to mid 20's and in the case of the Steelers probably late 20's or last in Rd 1 if they win it all. Plus Darnold has experience playing in the NFL and is still young. A team like the Steelers may have him back up and learn the system and then takeover when Ben retires.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Did you not read it? I never said to extend him lol

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Well. I'll answer a question with a question. Are there ever any "strong" QB draft classes after the top 2-3 guys every year?

I see Pittsburgh taking a long look at Kyle Trask. I don't love him as a prospect but he's in Big Ben's mold. He floats a lot of balls because of bad mechanics but he's a big strong dude.

As far as the rest of the class - I'd assume Lance also goes in the top 15 so you're looking at guys like Brock Purdy (solid prospect but letdown year - he had Heisman whispers), Zach Wilson (Heisman potential - strong arm down the field/so-so to the sidelines and can run), Trask (big strong prototypical pocket passer), and Jamie Newman (more of an unknown as he opted out).

#32 Jonathan_Vilma, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    REVISion likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

bingo. teams who never pick at the top to land a QB will be willing to move a late 1st or late 2nd to get a possible franchise QB

14. GasedAndConfused

the funny thing I thought of is if we trade him to indy for a 2nd. it would basically mean we gave indy our 6th overall pick and 3 2nds for a future 2nd

15. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I like your logic on this and it is bit out in left field because of the chances that this may all go to pieces if Sam doesn't improve. I think this all hinges
    on who the coach will be. Nothing can be determined until then.

We can thank the ownership and JD for making the future of the Jets all so very clear. :rolleyes:

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

i mean i don't like to toot my own horn and i've been far from right all the time, but had the jets listened to me and the shit i've posted here over the past few years, we would be a playoff team

Acad23 likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think the factor of a new Head Coach erases anything we think or want. If they want Sam and feel they can fix him, they keep Sam. If they want Lawrence or Fields (which seems likely) you trade Sam and give him a new start elsewhere. There is no rush to trade Darnold though. Douglas can name his price and then wait for a team to meet it. Picking up Sam's 5th year option makes no sense though. Doubt that happens.

SOJAZ likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No? Then what do you call the bolded above? Did someone hack your account? Were you sleep walking when you typed it?

19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

not saying this will happen to Sam, but Steve Young was labeled a bust too. took some time for things to click

20. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

The 5th year option does not need to be declared until May 3rd if I recall correctly. That is after the season and after the draft, but we don't need to wait that long. If we have #1, we know what we are doing. If we have #2, we know what we are doing. Either way, we know at the end of the season and we'll make a move with Darnold between the end of the season and FA. His new team can decide whether to pick up the option.