Good news about Becton's injury...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Nov 10, 2020.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Good news, I was expecting a peck tear or something of that nature.

Jets head coach Adam Gase gave an update on the condition of rookie left tackle Mekhi Becton‘s condition on Tuesday afternoon.

Becton was forced out of Monday night’s loss to the Patriots after playing just 15 snaps. Gase said the team did “all sorts of things” to see if Becton could go back in, but ultimately decided that it was better to be cautious with their first-round pick.

“It was a chest injury that caused him to have difficulty breathing,” Gase said, via Andy Vasquez of NorthJersey.com.

Gase said that Becton’s injury is not muscular in nature and that the team is hopeful to have Becton back in the lineup after the bye week.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll accept it on face value, but given the Jets track record on covering up serious injuries, I won't be surprised to find out it's worse. I hope I'm wrong.

Royal Tee, Ralebird, K'OB and 3 others like this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Regardless it was good they were cautious with him. He will also have 2 weeks to recover.

Though at this point I would be extra cautious if possible. We know he’s good and he had played against some of the best edge rushers in the game. I know he kept his weight in check but it may make sense to have him lose another 10-20 pounds if he keeps him from getting injured.

BudJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Is it possible to be TOO big? I think there's most likely a physical limit as to how large humans can get without it becoming a liability.

5. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

I have a kid that is 6 ft 7 inches and 340 pounds that works for me He is only 18 and I see how hard it is going to be for him as he gets older. I am 54 and I move better than him on some days. I hope Becton can settle into learning how to preserve his body in the NFL, we have a lt that we can not depend on

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This was my concern going into the draft. Big men like that tend to have more issues both physically and with their health in general. The human skeletal system isn't designed to carry that amount of weight under such consistently stressful situations. That, and the fact that he gets by on brute strength more than technique makes me concerned about his long-term viability in the NFL.

Cman68 likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Difficulty breathing? Knowing our training staff, dude's probably dying of Covid.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't like the statement that the Jets tried all kinds of things to see if Becton could go back in. Why? I understand that Gase is trying to win, but you don't mess with a player like Becton. He's too important to the future of this franchise and the health of our QBs. Let him rest and heal until after the BYE.

Also, aside from getting the wind knocked out of you, what kind of chest injury that isn't soft tissue could cause problems with breathing? I think it would have to be a broken or bruised rib(s).

LAJet, Brook!, BrickcityJet and 2 others like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

Get out of here with that nonsense. You make it sound like he's just a big, dumb fat slob with no technique at all, and nothing could be further from the truth. He has worked very hard on both his conditioning and his technique, and while his technique may still be a work in progress on some aspect, he has good technique in general.

10. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

You're reading way more into what I wrote than is actually there. No one said he hasn't worked hard on both, yet for all his conditioning he's missed significant snaps early in his career and while his technique will continue to improve, he does rely on his strength in one on one matchups. There's nothing wrong with that, per se, he wins those battles. That wasn't the point I was making. He's a big man, a really big man - and while he's young, strong, and athletic now, there has to be concern about his ability to maintain his agility long term, especially with the wear and tear of each passing season. Heck, people have the same concerns about Zion Williamson; that's not a knock against the player, it's the reality of being a super-sized athlete.

11. NCJetsfan

OK, sorry if I misunderstood, but it seemed that you were knocking him.

Freak injuries happen, and I think he, like many players this season, are suffering injuries that they normally wouldn't due to no OTAs, mini-camps, and no preseason.

12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Can he play LG? I know a team that would be interested.

BomberJet, K'OB and Cman68 like this.
  13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It could be a bruised sternum. It hurts like hell just breathing, I had it happen to me years ago.

14. NCJetsfan

Thanks.

15. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Recovery time?

16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I know Becton has worked on his technique a lot since coming here but could it be that he still needs to improve his technique to avoid injury? He’s gotten two upper body injuries so it just makes me wonder.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With all the 'tank talk' going on around here I was afraid to open this post. I though the 'good news' would be he is out for the year!

twown and Leicester Jet like this.
  18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

You are 1000 percent correct
    They suck and cause lots of breathing pain

PS
    enjoy your retirement Joe

19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Could also be a matter of tweaking his workouts. There must be a lot of pressure on rookie OL to add upper-body muscle-mass. Even for beasts like him.

20. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Mekhi Becton is an indestructible beast

I’m not gonna sweat any upper limb injuries at this point

It’s the hips, knees, ankles and feet I worried about due to the amount of weight he carries around

So I’m thrilled the lower limbs remain in pristine condition

Go Mekhi!