Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Flacco played most of the game with our starting LT hurt. Becton is probably our best player on offense. I swear the excuses for Sam are endless. There will never be enough evidence to convince the apologists he's bad. I give up.

2. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

Dude this team and coach have failed Sam more then Sam has failed Sam. It is easy to Sam is not good, what are teh reasons why. but when you have a bad coach that does not reinforce good habits, A team that did not get even average nfl players around him.
    To me it starts with coaching and it ends there get rid of Gase he was hired to Make Sam better he failed. Next is Sam if we are in a position to get a better qb you do it and move on from Sam. Sam also needs a change of scenes in the worst way.

I want Gase nowhere near our next qb

Ralebird, Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

I also feel it's time to move on but there's practically half a season left to play so I take it week to week. So many scenerios still at play. Weird thing is, I was watching the Steelers vs Cowboys game and just couldn't help seeing the similarities between Garrett Gilbert and Sam Darnold. Good game after being signed off Cleveland's practice squad but looks like Dalton will be the starter.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Didn't look like the same team on the field last night. Although Flacco took one deep shot too many, it was really refreshing to see a Jet QB air it out.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I agree with you but that's why I want James Morgan playing. Flacco looked a million times better than Darnold has all year. Whether that's because Darnold actually isn't good, or the pats defense sucks, or both, the play didn't lie.

Over the bye week, I suspect Joe & Ownership will meet on how to ensure we secure the #1 pick, while protecting Darnold's trade value.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Darnold is contributing to the suck and not controlling what he can control. He has the gift and curse of making the spectacular look easy and the easy hard. I said pre-draft he had some Fitzpatrick in him and under less than favorable conditions that side of his game rears its ugly head more frequently than you would like. One of the more disappointing things about Darnold has been how his footwork has managed to get worse rather than better with more games played. I’m a feet guy (pause & save the Rex jokes) so that’s a no bueno.

One thing that got lost in evaluating Mahomes in the 2017 draft was how consistent he was & the fact he didn’t make many mistakes despite the look and feel of your typical “gun slinger”. It’s continued in the pros. Between the spectacular plays he pretty much always made & continues to make his layups. Darnold misses too many layups.

Coincidentally, I see a similar dynamic with Lawrence vs Fields to a much lesser degree. Lawrence has more of the wow throws on tape but Fields doesn’t miss layups. There’s under appreciated value in the latter.

7. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, I have started watching as much video as I can on Lawrence and Fields because I believe Jets are in market for a QB again.

What I noticed about Lawrence is his foundation, guy has good footwork and is bouncy, always squares up in direction of pass even when he’s scrambling it seems like it’s something that come natural to him, scramble, square up and release.

He’s versatile, I know Clemson is a little gimmicky but it’s similar to what KC does with Mahomes. Andy Reid uses a lot of motion and misdirection with his RB and WR, it still does not take away from what Mahomes can do as a QB.

Same can be said for Trevor Lawrence, even if he went to a team similar to KC he could still thrive as a passer, he’s accurate and has a good arm.

The one thing I saw with Lawrence that makes me cringe is his forced throws, I believe he is so used to his WR making the plays that he forces throws into coverages that in the NFL will be interceptions, however I believe he is smart enough to not make those mistakes repeatedly or it should be coached out of him.

He will have played 3 full seasons and has proven he is consistent, not a one year wonder.

I’m still looking at a lot of videos on Fields, however, I have noticed there are not many out patterns or cross routes in the Ohio State scheme, he’s throwing a lot of long passes most of the time. Maybe that will change as watch more of his videos.

#1287 Red Menace, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Flacco also looked terrible against the Broncos, Cardinals and Dolphins. Sam would have lit up that Patriots defense too, just as any competent QB would on Monday. Apparently there will never be enough evidence for Sam haters to realize he is good either. You will just have to see for yourself when he is playing amazing for another team in 2021.

rammagen likes this.
  9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

He looked terrible against the Broncos in a game that he played only a few snaps? We know your obvious Sam bias usually but you can’t even attempt to hide it with that ridiculous comment.

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

No, that is not anti-Flacco or whatever you are thinking, that is just saying the offense was bad every week this season. He said there is evidence Sam is bad and would not have played well against the Patriots. I disagree and think Sam would have played well against the Patriots, assuming he was healthy.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Flacco played the best game any Jets quarterback has played this year on Monday Night.

12. REVISion

Sam doesn't light up anyone ever. The guy has like 3 career 300 yard games. The Jets have had two games this year with positive passing DVOA and Flacco was the QB for both of them.

See what I mean about the excuses never ending? You'll just keep shifting the goal posts to defend Sam. It boggles my mind how you can ignore mountains of evidence that he's a terrible QB.

13. The Dark Knight

Yeah, because he is not a terrible QB. He has not been a good QB in 2020 though. No one is saying he has been. It is clear he has underperformed and disappointed most of the time. He just doesn't have much to work with. All I am saying is I think he would have played well against the Patriots. You can check the game thread. I predicted a Jets win with Sam at QB. No one expected the Jets to play as well as they did on Monday night, but I did. Sam played pretty well in 2018 and 2019. There is enough evidence to see he has a bright future. 2020 clearly has gone the other way, but I think he still has potential, and I think many others would agree.

rammagen likes this.
  14. REVISion

A bright future? Are you kidding? Based on what?

Sam's stats in 2018:

57% completion
    17 TD's
    15 INT's
    6.9 Y/A

Sam's stats in 2019:

61% completion
    19 TD's
    13 INT's
    6.9 Y/A

Sam has the 2nd worst QB rating in the NFL since he entered the league.

All of those numbers put him in the bottom third of the league and often nearly dead last. Sam has a lower career completion % and worse career TD/INT ratio than Mitch Trubisky. Do many people think Mitch has a bright future? Saying he's good or has a bright future is a total rejection of reality. We have basically no evidence that should lead us to believe those things.

#1294 REVISion, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Red Menace and The Dark Knight like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

Yeah, we will see. We know I don't have statistical analysis to back up that Sam still has a bright future, but I believe he does. The Jets have failed him. No doubt about it, but he deserves some of the blame too. The question is can he improve in 2021? I think so. At (0-9), it is likely the Jets will move on to Lawrence or Fields. You don't get to (0-9) with good QB play, so it is clear Sam has played poorly in 2020. No one is saying otherwise.

rammagen likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sam has not had a good year. Hard to argue that. While the results speak for themselves and are pretty clear, the root cause of the problem is far from clear in my mind. Why does a guy that at times shines with enormous talent, particularly when he ad libs, goes thru long periods of poor decision making and errand throws, often running from his life? Is it lack of development, poor game planning to his strengths, or simply his inability to read the field fast enough. The toughest question JD and staff need to answer now is simply this, how much better can he be with a CS that tailors to his strengths and helps him develop properly, surrounded with a better supporting cast, or has he maxed out his potential.
    Even if we move from him, I'm convinced he has far more talent to grow into with proper coaching, and conversely, this CS will not help TL or anyone other QB develop into a top tier NFL QB.
    We have a bigger problem that Sam that needs to be fixed ASAP.

rammagen and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. REVISion

He doesn't occasionally shine though, unless you're saying he has good plays here and there. That is true of every single QB who has ever played in the NFL and it's a far cry from being a good QB. Sam is not a high ceiling/low floor guy. He is a low ceiling/low floor guy.

Sam's career Y/A rankings:

2020:

33rd

2019:

23rd

2018:

27th

I really hate this "he's shown flashes" narrative. He hasn't. Having a good play here and there is not "showing flashes". Showing flashes would be occasionally having a 350 yard 3 TD 0 INT game which Sam almost never has. Has our bar for him dropped so low that we cling to hope because he sometimes has good single plays? It's insane.

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Wow, he’s worse than Mitchell....:(

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  19. REVISion

I was Sam's biggest fan coming out of college. I was thrilled when we got him. I wanted him to succeed so badly but I can't ignore the evidence staring me straight in the face. It became clear to me about halfway through last season that he was just not a good NFL QB and he has only confirmed that so far this year.

I could maybe see an argument for sticking with him if he was a top 10-15 QB but the reality is far worse than that. Even then, not many teams compete for a Super Bowl without a top 5 QB. He's just not nearly good enough.

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  20. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Its sad. I wanted this man to reach the stars with us.

Theres many points towards what happend against the pats. However, the reality is that this game was with Joe Flacco, and we will never know what could have been.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk