Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

You've guy rookie's in Herbert and Burrow putting up way better rookie numbers than Sam is putting up during his 3rd year; it's disgusting.

Aaron freaking Brooks had better numbers than Sam, during a time where Saints fans used to wear brown paper bags over their face titled; Aints.

The more I watch Sam the more he disgusts me.

REVISion likes this.
  2. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

lets go further and say Tannehill has much more success in a system that suits him the yr before gase got there tannehill threw for over 4k yrds 27 tds and 12 interceptions with a qbr of 92.8.
    Gase got there threw for 200 more yrds but lower qbr and tds same interceptions.
    following yr under gase qbr went up tds went down and interceptions were the same.
    This was in a yr where he did not play all games so his qbr could have gone down just as his interceptions would have goen up with tds same with the following yr shortened due to injury
    64.2 1979 17 9 35 92.7
    what I see here is a coach how has high track record of injuries wont or cant adjust his system to playersand Tannehill has left the fins/gase his qbr is over 100 in both yrs so far and statically better
    2019 stats
    70.3 2742 22 6 31 117.5
    67.4 1823 17 3 8 109.8
    Can someone remind me how much of an offensive genius Gase is agin? He does not pout his players into a position to cosntantly succeed.
    Part of the blame for Sam is on Sam most of the blame is on the Jets and the final piece is Gase. He was hired to make Sam better he failed in the one single most important part of his job. Maybe Sam never was going to be great but maybe Gase was never going to succeed as a head coach either. You start with the coach and go from there

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

and for Jarvis Landry his numbers are about the same
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandJa00.htm
    20 less games targets 200 less times and 1500 yard off of what he did in Miami versus Cleveland and in 1 less yr. That is sharing the ball with another diva wr

4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

What isn't true? Nothing in your post refutes anything I said.

I didn't say QBR was worthless, nor did I say anything to excuse Darnold. I just said a pitcher's performance isn't nearly as reliant on his defensive teammates as a QB's is on his offensive teammates. Is this even controversial?

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

and oxygen

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

You're missing the point here yourself.

A pitchers ERA shows how bad to good to great they truly are.

And a Quarterbacks QB Rating shows how bad to good to great they truly are.

That's all I'm saying.

As an MLB pitcher your ERA says who you are and as an NFL QB your QB Rating says who you are.

And right now Sam's career QB Rating (3 years later) is surrounded by the likes of nothing but career backups and his 2020 QB Rating is 32nd dead last amongst all QBs (he's absolutely pathetic).

matt robinson 17 and REVISion like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I have to say that if Darnold played tonight instead of Flacco, the game wouldn't have been close. Flacco made some mistakes, but overall looked cool, calm, and collected and made some big time throws. The INT he threw though was classic Darnold - you could tell he locked onto Mims from the snap. Other than though it was a professional performance.

But TBF, Darnold has not had these three WRs together, and I'd like to see him have that opportunity. That said, Darnold hasn't done enough with the opportunities he's had. Maybe not fair, but that's how life is.

Jets81 likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Where are the Darnold truthers now? Flacco is clearly a better QB, and Flacco is not a good QB at all.

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I'd still like to see him play with all the WR’s on the field together. Not sure he has Flacco’s deep ball, though.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Joe Flacco's 2020 QB Rating: 80.6.

Joe Flacco's QB Rating last night: 128.7.

Sam Darnold's 2020 QB Rating: 65.9.

Sam has to go.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I know you are trying to be fair to Sam, however your first statement is correct, with Sam the game is not close, because you can’t fix what he chooses not to fix, throwing off back foot, long wind up, poor decision making, forced throws, locking in to first receiver, inaccurate, Sam is making same mistakes in his third year he made in his first year, this has become a pattern of who he is as a QB.

It’s time to move on from Sam, another Macagnan pick that is not going to work out.

REVISion and matt robinson 17 like this.
  12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"What he chooses not to fix?" Isn't that what coaches are for? Wasn't that need acknowledged when he was drafted?

He's making the same mistakes now because he hasn't been coached out of them. If Belichick talked to Brady on the sidelines for almost twenty years do you think there just might be some value in some coach on the Jets talking to Darnold occasionally?

Get Gase the hell out of there now and put somebody in who can find out what Darnold has before the season is totally wasted. The excuses that he couldn't be judged with the line and the receivers on board were disproven when sleepy Joe Flacco put together a pretty decent game with basically the same crew. Maybe, just maybe this is the end of Gase going into the bye but the "part of the solution" talk makes me leery.

#1252 Ralebird, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  13. ColoradoContrails

You're probably right, and if the Jets have the chance to get Lawrence (or maybe Fields if he's actually better for the Jets?), they have to do it. That said, some of Sam's "mistakes", may not be as fatal as you suggest. Look at Newton, even the announcers pointed out that he still has problems with his footwork, and he isn't the most accurate passer, although he's accurate enough. If the Jets had to stick with Darnold because a better option wasn't avaialble, if he had better coaching, play calling to suit his abilities, and better talent around him, he might be fine. I don't think he's the trash some here believe. All that said though, the Jets and he should part ways for their mutual best interests.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Friday, Mar 02, 2018 01:57 PM

Sam Darnold not tinkering with throwing motion
    [​IMG]
    Chase Goodbread
    Original Content Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- If there's any tinkering to be done with Sam Darnold's throwing motion, it'll be up to the team that drafts him to do so. The former USC quarterback isn't changing anything, despite scouting concerns that his delivery can be too elongated.

"I'm not trying to change my throwing motion at all. I think I get the ball off pretty quick. There is kind of a wind-up, but I think I get it off quick and that's what matters," Darnold said.

Expected to be an early first-round draft pick, Darnold has opted out of participation in passing drills at the combine. He'll instead throw for NFL coaches and scouts at USC's pro day workout on March 21, and they'll see the same delivery there that they see while studying Darnold's game film. The Trojans two-year starter said he can shorten his delivery when necessary.

NFL clubs prefer a shorter, quicker delivery in quarterbacks, in part to because a longer one can allow pass rushers a better opportunity to disrupt a throw.

"The motion I have is what got me to this point, and I really haven't gotten into trouble with it. It doesn't change how fast I get the ball out. If I need to shorten up and get the ball in right now, I'm able to shorten my release and get it to them," he said. "But if I need to throw it downfield, I've had a tendency of really cocking back and trying to let it go, where I just have to get my hip through more. That's something I've been working on, but I don't think it's changing. My throwing motion is fine."

This was an article that quoted Sam, at the NFL level adjustments have to be made, we can blame the coaches but he already had his mind made up.

Im not a fan of Gase and I want him fired however, forcing throws is not on any coach, those are decisions that a QB makes because he has overconfidence, or went to the wrong receiver because he made the wrong read.

I’m sure this team looks at film like every other team does and Sam sees the same things Adam sees, do you really believe that Adam and Sam are not trying to put together a solution to avoid the same mistakes he keeps making?

As you stated, Flacco has proven that the players around him are not as horrendous as we thought and the only difference was the QB, with same coaches on sideline.

I’m not buying it, he is not a good QB, he has some flashes of being a good QB but that’s it. You know how hard it is to find a franchise QB let alone develop one, after three years we would think that he would need less to work on not need more development.

15. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

This game confirmed that Darnold is not the guy:

No arm strength
    Poor decision making

See ya dude...

matt robinson 17 and 94Abraham like this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree with you here but thanks for putting the article up because it just helps prove my point about the dysfunctional relationship between the Guru and the QB. In any business, not just those that pay their employees millions of dollars a year, you do what the boss tells you to do. If the boss wants you to change the way you do your job, that's what you do. It might be that Darnold could get away with shaky footwork and an unconventional delivery if everything else worked out, but it's not working out. Perhaps his attitude is different now that his failure to date is so obvious.

You say that forcing throws is not on the coach, and you're right to the extent that it's the guy on the field doing it but what about the root cause of forcing those passes? If Darnold has not been trained enough to find the right target before his time is up, that's a coaching failure. Decision making is definitely coachable - what we don't know is if he has had the right guy working with him on this enough or if it's Darnold himself who is uncoachable. Successful quarterbacks reach a point where the game slows down for them in their minds because reading the field and making the right decision becomes second nature, even reflexive rather than a repeated chore. Instead we got the "ghosts" comment and evidence that they come and go even now.

Flacco no doubt reached that point years ago and it is automatic to him. I have no idea how much time any coach has spent with Darnold watching film and building the mental skills he needs before he can reach the next level but we don't see that written about, it's certainly not obvious and, as I said earlier we never see anyone working with Darnold on the sidelines looking at the coverage printouts that every other team seems to use.

Absolutely nothing is being accomplished by retaining Gase but the opportunity is at hand to make a change today to find out if Darnold is salvageable. Waiting until January takes away seven games of valuable time that can be used to evaluate every guy on the field to help off season decision making.

17. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

The Patriots are also trash so how is that a comparison?

18. REVISion

Sam knows what his weaknesses are. It's ultimately on him to fix them. There's a quote from before the draft of Sam saying he felt no need to change his throwing motion. That should've been a red flag in hindsight. You can get away with things in college that you can't get away with in the pros.

Also coaches can't do anything about poor decision making in the heat of the moment leading to turnovers. That's a processing issue that Sam alone is responsible for. He knows he shouldn't do it but he can't help it. That's on him.

19. ColoradoContrails

Good response. While I agree with all of these points about how poor coaching has definitely had an impact on Darnold's development, there is also the matter of a poor OL and WRs/TEs. When a QB is under as much pressure as Darnold has been, and he hasn't been coached up to handle it, it's a downward spiral, which is what we've seen. The bottom line though is he just isn't good enough. Now, if the Jets weren't in a position to acquire a significantly better prospect, I'd say fire Gase, add more talent and hope that he can be resurrected. But in life, everything is timing. For Sam that means the timing of having a Trevor Lawrence or a Justin Fields available sucks for him. I still think he can be a good QB, even win a SB with the right team, but that won't be the Jets. Watching how Flacco moved the team showed me that the weak link right now is Darnold. It's not his fault, and like I said, maybe he could be "fixed", but both he and the Jets need to part ways for that to happen.

But the Jets had BETTER fire Gase!

rammagen likes this.
  20. REVISion

Bro I'm sorry but listen to yourself:

"If Darnold had better coaching, play calling and talent around him, he might be fine."

So if his situation was ideal he "might be fine". That's not good enough in the NFL unless you have a top defense to go along with it. The top QB's compete for titles every year with very little exception. Sam just isn't good enough. Maybe being OK with great surrounding talent isn't good enough and it's a pipe dream to think we could even surround him with enough talent. It's way easier to hit on a very good QB and not have to worry about filling 5 other positions with marquee talent.

matt robinson 17 likes this.