If this is true JD needs to go too

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Nov 3, 2020.

1. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

He said exactly what you're supposed to say as the head of a struggling organization.

azhar80, BomberJet, Since1969 and 4 others like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

What Joe Douglas should have said:

"Look we all know that Adam Gase sucks and he should be fired now but will definitely be fired at the end of the season anyway. Sam Darnold is not very good and he'll be replaced also, as most of my predecessors draft picks have been. We need a total overhaul around here and I will get on that as soon as ownership gets the message and lets me do my job!"

That would have made lots of Jets fans happy and it would have turned the Jets into a laughingstock (again) and ensured that Douglas left on the wave of departures at the end of the season.

What he did instead is what *anybody* in his position would have done. He made as few waves as possible and is likely to be the only survivor of the purge to come. Which gives him the best chance of doing the job he was hired to do: which is to rebuild the NY Jets from the ground up.

BTW, the first part of this post was just to remind all the people posting above that what they posted was to vent - not a realistic picture of what reality presented.

SOJAZ, twown and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. At some point you have to care about the fans first and foremost. All he had to state was "no comment" or "next question". And there would have never been this type of fan reaction.

And for him to be honest and state how he must do a better job of finding out what players value is on the open market in regards to Robby? That's a red flag and making me believe he's an incompetent football mind.

Let's face it. He's a rookie GM and it could become a very long time before he's EVER considered as a competent one, rookie.

4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Anyone who has his heart set on JD being fired should treat himself to a three-year cruise somewhere.

5. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No, the coach and gm never have to care about the fans. The minute you start thinking about the fans is when you start sitting with them. The problem with this franchise is they try to half ass it to placate the fans. It doesn’t work . Fuck the fans, the fans are you, you’re an idiot, no one should think about you. Let the pr dept worry about that. Take the time to get this right. The fans will come back when the team wins.

stinkyB, Cman68 and Br4d like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Douglas did the job he was hired to do in that article - he represented the franchise in as favorable a light as possible given the circumstances. Doing anything else might have made you, as a disgruntled fan, happier but it would also have been a firing offense.

The only people empowered to make the kind of statements that would make you happy right now are ownership and they are wisely keeping out of the conversation.

Endless cruise somewhere is more like it. Cruise to nowhere.

SOJAZ and FJF like this.
  7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It’s not JD’s decision. There would be no positive outcome to say Gase is the problem.

You all want a real coach to come here? A real coach isn’t going to bother if the GM is throwing coaches under the bus to the media.

That said, I am concerned JD said he believed Darnold is the QB of the future for this team. Though JD said similar things about Jamal and we see how that ended up. JD took the miracle opportunity.

I hope to believe he would do the same if they are in position to draft Lawrence.

#27 GQMartin, Nov 3, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No one is in a better position to push, prod, cajole and threaten the Johnsons into blowing Gase out than Joe Douglas. Every day that goes by without that being accomplished is another day of failure by Douglas.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Was Douglas supposed to say that he wants to fire Gase right now, and certainly when the season ends? or that Darnold has regressed and doesn't even show the flashes of being the real deal that he showed as a rookie? and that he will draft Trevor first?

If there's anything that should be clear, Joe Douglas is not going to pour gas all over a fire that already exists. Joe said the right things, didn't trash anyone, but assuming the Johnsons allow him to, he will get rid of Gase and Darnold at seasons end. This is all talk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

GMs will never ever show their hand

can’t take words at face value

ColoradoContrails and Mogriffjr like this.
  11. Cliv Clav

Cliv Clav Active Member

I think a lot of this, is just making sure that he is saying the right thing at the moment.

JD doesn’t want to say Gase is gone as soon as the season finishes. He also doesn’t want to say that he will draft Lawrence if we get the number 1 pick. If you admit you are going to move on from Sam or doubt his potential, you drive the trade price for him down and destroy what is left of his confidence.

Some players on the team are still working hard to improve and play well, so you don’t want to get in their heads either. Even if you are embracing a ‘tank’ season.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

First and foremost he represents the New York Jets, not some raging teen fanbase, he seemed honest throughout even admitting letting Anderson go was a mistake. As he said before he will build through the draft as long as that takes. Once we beat the Pats twice we can all move along from the TL saga :)

13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Fire everyone. Every other year. Until we win the VLT. :rolleyes: We were all hoping JD would call Gase the worst coach in NFL history but that was wishful thinking.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If JD is forced to stay with Sam and the NFL cancels TC again, then Gase probably stays just for continuity.

15. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

That’s not what I’m saying. I get downplaying the situation and not throwing Gase and Sam under the bus.

He doesn’t need to say that he wants to fix the problems with Gase and make it feel he’s here for the rebuild.

Just say Gase is working hard and he’s been ravaged by injuries that’s made his job tougher. No need to bring up the future.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I agree with you then. I didn't watch the press conference, just read articles about it. Does anyone find it ironic JD chose election day for it? Maybe a bit less notice... When was the last time we were STUNNED they kept a coach? Keeping Gase after this year certainly would be stunning. It's probably why I joked about it. I can not see it happening. I've been wrong about the Jets before. Fans often have a quick hook, and I usually argue against fast-firings but there's no reason at all to keep a coach - any coach, with a W/L record like the Jets will have this season. The only example I can think of would be an expansion team. Two years was as patient as they need to be, all other reasons aside. Let's not forget the circumstances by which JD got this job. There was the feeling the Gase got him the job, so JD is probably being as loyal as possible - to a point.

17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I have been relatively critical of Joe D over the past couple of months, but ANYONE taking what he said fro the presser yesterday seriously really needs to chill out. What do you want him to say about a coach the could be in the building the next 8 weeks? You want to destroy what little culture you have left, have the GM cut the coach down at the knees at a presser. I think he was being as honest as his position allows. Can't fault him from anything on that call......he even admitted the miscalculation with Robby.

18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, as usual, Manish Mehta wrote a pathetic article about this. Douglas said everything right. Is he supposed to trash his Head Coach? Is he supposed to trash his QB? Is he supposed to say he is tanking for Trevor? That would be way more embarrassing than being (0-8) right now. Fans are ridiculous to be upset with anything Joe said. (Besides letting Robby go, which we all agree was a mistake now)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Rockinz

There is a difference of being loyal and putting your career in the hands of Adam Gase. If JD was just dumping water on the situation then I’m ok with this but if he even has a 1% thought of keeping this coach then he’s got to go too. Bottom line.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. Rockinz

He’s not supposed to trash them but call a spade a spade and don’t say that you want to fix it moving forward with Gase. There is just no need to say that or go there. When he makes those statements it makes me nervous that he is actually thinking about retaining Adam Gase. If that’s even in the conversation they both need to be fired and we move on with a clean slate and Trevor Lawrence

Ralebird and SOJAZ like this.