A Case for Joe Douglas and the Slow Burn

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 2, 2020.

1. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

the steelers are phenomenal at drafting. they know what positions on their team are important and make sure they find the best players available to fill those positions, either via the draft or free agency. when was the last time that the steelers didnt have a dude playing nose tackle? not in a long time. because they play 3-4 and have to have a solid player there.

2. Nothing wrong w what he is doing.But he shouldn’t be given credit for it nor should anyone get excited. Breaking things down is the easy part.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent point about Anderson only having one TD. A WR with that many receiving yards in 8 games should have at least 3-4 TDs. The one TD that Anderson has is because the coverage was blown. The DB on Anderson misplayed, was late getting over, then whiffed on the tackle, and there was no deep help. Even then Anderson almost didn't score because he started showboating about 5-10 yards from the EZ and a DB who was hustling almost caught him.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I've been saying the same thing since the season opened; every day Gase is driving the bus is another day that no one knows what Darnold can do. There's half a season ahead where someone else could be put in charge, told to loosen the reins and see what he can do. It is very obvious to everyone that whatever Gase's philosophy is it's just not working.

Jets81 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I don't think they went into the season planning to tank. I think with Covid, all the injuries, and the horrible job that Gase has been doing, Douglas decided to not worry about this season and is focusing on next season and beyond. I'm sure that Gase has gone to him, but Douglas told him that he (Gase) had until the end of the season to straighten things out, but had been so inept that there's no way he could probably return as HC. Douglas told Gase that he (Douglas) had provided him with the types of players he wanted, and that Gase had failed to develop them, had failed to adapt his offensive scheme to the talent he had on hand, and that if he hoped to get another coaching job in the NFL, he better keep his mouth shut and just do the best he can the rest of the season even though he (Douglas) was going to start making moves with the future in mind and had written off this season.

6. NCJetsfan

I think it's a fatalism, a hopeless sense that nothing is going to happen the way that it should, that the Johnsons are so stupid that they'll still think Gase is a great HC. The Johnsons have certainly given them reason to think that way and all the years of losing and disappointment have just beaten them down and worn them out.

REVISion likes this.
  7. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

We've got plenty of draft picks. Now it comes back to the eternal, groundhog day issue with this team...the draft.

The talent evaluation around here has been piss poor for wayyy too long. Douglas had a decent first draft, nothing more. He needs to nail on more impact guys in rounds 2 and 3. No more Ashtyn Davis' when a plethora of proven college stud receivers are still on the board. I know the verdict is still out on Davis however the early returns are a fail. The bigger issue is passing on guys who can help immediately at a larger position of need like skill talent.

There's too many good players in college that I watch every week that the Jets never seem to even consider or just flat out miss on. That has to change. Teams like the Steelers go after name brand college guys. The Jets need to start doing the same. These continued draft reaches will doom this franchise forever.

8. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell - all of these trades are great for the Jets and for the players who got traded. Someone on twitter said that players and their agents remember these kinds of moves favorably because the jets are letting these players go to better teams and it's true - Avery Williams just ended up a unbeaten Steelers team, Bell (not traded but released) on former SB winner and SB contender Chiefs, and McLendon on Tampa superbowl contender.

To get draft compensation is another win for players that were not going to be on the team going forward. Joe Douglas isn't a perfect GM but he clearly has a plan/vision for this team, and the path forward. Obviously it's one piece of the puzzle because we have to make the picks count, but I believe the jets are trending in the right direction.

Now to secure the #1 pick with an 0-16.

NCJetsfan and rickjet like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nobody, probably not even his mother, has claimed that Anderson was the second coming of Jerry Rice but Robby Anderson is better today than any receiver on the New York Jets and he had a great working relationship with Sam Darnold. That's a fact and it's not at all getting "carried away." While no one here really knows what the relationship between Gase and Douglas is, everyone with eyes and ears knows that Gase has been on thin ice. If management wanted Anderson around to help see what Darnold is capable of Gase would have had to go along with the program. It has been glaringly apparent for his entire tenure here that Gase has fallen dismally short of being even a halfway decent head coach.

Keeping Anderson would not have been about Darnold being dependent on him but might have been the crutch needed to determine what potential is still there. A lot of people here had Darnold rated as not only a top flight NFL quarterback but a franchise quarterback and future Hall of Famer - I wasn't one of them but I'd still like to see what he can do if he gets out from under the weighted blanket that is Adam Gase.

#49 Ralebird, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    rickjet likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The Steelers have had a blueprint that they build to for years, decades. It's the ONLY way to build a sustainable contender. Ravens have done this as wel.l I do believe Douglas is doing this now with the Jets, finally, but until we can see a few FA and draft seasons we can't know A0 if this is really true, and B) how well he can acquire the right players.

alleycat9 likes this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would think that it would be hard to overhaul that area of the front office in a quick manner. Teams are not going to be willing to part ways with people in these departments, especially in these circumstances when it would be obvious that the person being considered is thought of highly enough to attract the attention of someone from another franchise.

I imagine will see some slow turnover over the time that Douglas is here. They seem to have done a decent job for him in this past draft, as I would say that the class has, thus far, been fairly good. Then there's also all the talk about the players that people in the scouting department for the Jets wanted, but the GMs passed on, so maybe the problem hasn't been entirely on the scouts and more on the guy actually making the decisions.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree...letting Anderson go to me was a mistake. I never liked Perriman because in general I don’t like underachieving first round picks....

Not that Anderson is a #1 WR...he’s not...he’s too limited in what he does, but he’s a great #3 and a decent #2. At some point, you actually have to keep some guys as part of the build process. I’m not gonna kill JD over this, it I do think it was a mistake. Robby was young, reasonably priced, and homegrown....he should have been kept.

For as bad as we’ve drafted over the years, it’s beyond me why we never keep the few guys we do hit on....we always come up with some nonsense about how they aren’t worth the money....we did it with Lavereneous Coles, Keyshawn, John Abraham, Santana Moss, Revis, etc. all these guys were worth keeping and should have been paid. I’m sure we can name plenty of others.

But back on topic, I’m pretty much ok with the way JD has managed this process...he’s taken this down to the bare minimum and set us up with lots of picks and cap space. We may quibble on a few of his moves here and there, but the only one of any real significance is Adams, and he got two first rounders for a selfish player who didn’t want to be here and is not really a premium position. The timing just wasn’t right to pay him megabucks on a team being torn down. I can live with it.

but as we all know, the tearing down is the easy part. Identifying the building blocks is much much harder. So far, I think Becton looks great, Mims has looked like he belongs in limited action, and the punter has been great. Outside of those guys, this draft is still up in the air. I haven’t really been impressed by either Davis or Perine, and for 3rd and 4th rounders, that is a little bit worrisome as we will need to hit on these picks to rebuild the team. So far, understanding that it’s way too early and they have a chance to get better, to me, the early results are pretty meh.

As for Gase, every day he’s still here is another day that there is a possibility that he stays. The tank theory is part of it, but I think that we all have such a low opinion of our owners decision making acumen (deservedly so and more than well earned), that I don’t think anyone here would be shocked to see these morons keep Gase on board...after all, none other than Peyton vouched for him, right?

Remember, the Browns were stupid enough to retain Hue fucking loser Jackson after an 0-16 season...does anyone think the Johnsons are any smarter than those clueless idiots?

I would hope they also see that he was fired during the next season and cut the cord with Gase, but with these morons running our team, that’s not a safe bet. I wouldn’t bet anything on the Johnsons ability to make the right decision.

so while any other team other than the Browns would make the right call, there is always a chance that our team doesn’t.

I won’t rest easy on that until Gase is actually let go.

#52 Jets79, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  13. NCJetsfan

I agree. Douglas inherited a HUGE mess. He had more than he could say grace over and he owed it to himself, the scouts and the team, to give them a year or so to prove whether they should stay or not. It's not like he could just go to the scout shopping store and hire a whole new slate of scouts. I could be mistaken, but in general, think that there's not a lot of change in NFL scouting depts from year to year. Some retire, some quit, a few may get fired, but overall, there's not a lot of movement each year.

He will probably work with them to develop them, and refine the types of players that he wants them to find, first, then if they can't or won't give him what he expects, then he'll move on.

jets_fan likes this.
  14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

There's also the fact that the scouts are asked to evaluate the players based on the parameters given to them by the GM. Keeping that in mind, we've had some BAD GMs here recently who, most likely, put some bad practices in place for the scouts to work with. I would say that the group did a pretty good job with this draft, or at least it would appear that they have thus far. Time will tell, of course, but we got some players in April that will be able to help us as the rebuild really begins in earnest now with the firesale and then into next offseason.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s good to hear and I think the players feel better about our org when we just let them go. I get not caving into players’ demands but this isn’t a competitive team and they won’t even fire the problematic coach. Washington Football team does the opposite makes the players stay there for years unwillingly. They recently denied Ryan Kerrigans request for a trade.

grkmanga31 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Overall and all things considered I feel we are in a good position if JD drafts well.

Right now the o-line and d-line are good overall. some room for improvement but much better then they were. we'll have to start over with a new QB and new coach but.

Hire a new coach, let him decide his staff (basically whether williams stays on or not)
    Draft a QB (tlaw)
    sign a top FA WR (galladay, juju, etc)
    Draft a WR with our 2nd 1st rounder
    Trade Sam (probably get a 3rd at this point)
    Sign a RG to replace GVR (thuney)
    Focus on the offense in the draft and FA
    Build around Tlaw so we don't do to him what we did to darnold

we could compete in 2022 and be watchable in 2021 if we do this

17. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. If that were the case why the recent purge? Douglas is then admitting his mistakes for keeping Bell and Williamson, etc.. Douglas knew Gase did not like Bell to begin with so it had to be Douglas who decided to keep Bell on the team.

Gase could have just as easily told Douglas "Hey you didn't do me good by getting the right players to fit my system, so keep you mouth shut and lets do the best we can".

18. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

“ I won’t rest easy on that until Gase is actually let go.”

Amen brother!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I will he had kept Robby, but we don't throw the ball 10 yards down field anyway!

20. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Gotta keep Crazy Eyes for the Tank!!