Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

It's clear with all the trades that the Jets are making, they will be drafting a QB... either Lawrence or Fields. I think it's possible, they will go 1, 2. I dont think the Jets will be trading down. They'll go QB with the #1 mostly like Lawrence due to his height.

#1181 JustinDaseezin, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Jets_Grinch likes this.
  2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Still think I am trolling? :mad:

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Very much so.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jackson would move the chains though unlike Darnold

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

130 yards passing yesterday. 120 the week before. It's 2020 not 1950.

WTF go back to the surfboard Darnold

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Neither am I. But apparently I hurt some fragile feelings.

Who was he supposed to throw to? You can't get passing yards if you have no one open to get the ball to. Tom Brady would be Ranked 32 if he were on this team.

ColoradoContrails and rammagen like this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No argument about Gase, you know I have been a big advocate for his removal immediately. The damage to this team to keep him till year end far exceeds the risk of missing on the number one pick.
    You are right, fair point, I am living in the past with MM. cant stand him and we are only one year and one draft/free agency removed from a roster that has his fingerprints from top to bottom. Plus the schedule this year got much tougher. I cant get off my mind that the worst GM ever was not fired along with Bowles, instead allowed to hang around for one more draft/free agency, and be a pawn in the selection process for Gase....the worst HC ever.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

#1188 matt robinson 17, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Usually the quarterback is supposed to throw to the open receivers. If he had any clue how to read zone coverage he could probably find them a bit easier. But he's pretty awful from pre-snap to when it's time to throw so it makes it difficult to figure out if it's not a predetermined throw outside the numbers or a wide receiver tunnel screen.

Yesterday was pretty reflective of that. That wasn't the 2002 Buccaneers out there playing against him.

REVISion and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It seems like on many plays Darnold is just taking what the defense and his WR's are giving him: which is NOTHING. When he tries to create something, he is crushed by the pass rush. It's a no-win situation for Sam. Literally.

11. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

Maybe if the coach was smart he would put the qb into positions where he could excel but in this case gase does not do that enough. limit reads roll him out of the pocket, make blocking assignments easier, help the qb none of which this Gm and coach have really done.
    It starts with coaching the coach tells the gm what type of players he wants and the gm gets them. the coach then puts them into schemes to get the most out of the players can any honestly say Gase has done that?

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There's no way you're actually watching the games. There are a ton of mistakes every game that are solely Sam's fault. Missing open receivers, holding the ball too long, throwing interceptions into triple coverage.

I'm just baffled how someone could be watching the games and still have such a wrong opinion. There is no chance you've actually watched the games.

94Abraham and matt robinson 17 like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I'm not dismissing Darnold's role in what's happening, but there is no way that those things you mention are all on him either. When a QB has absolutely no time to read and throw, when the running game is non-existent, when the receivers drop balls, don't run the right routes, fail to get separation, that all contributes substantially to the things you're totally blaming on Darnold. The bottom line we're not going to be able to properly evaluate Darnold independent of these other issues until these other issues are improved, starting with firing Gase.

14. REVISion

I'm not talking dropped balls. I'm perfectly capable of knowing the difference between a receiver dropping a pass and the QB missing the throw. This really isn't difficult if you watch the games closely. I account for the times when it's not Sam's fault due to pass rush, drops etc. There are a TON of plays every game that are 100% Sam's fault.

15. ColoradoContrails

I too, watched the games. There are NOT a "ton of balls" that are 100% Sam's fault". Sorry, you can't isolate it that exactly. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

16. REVISion

You consistently watch Sam play and you don't think he has major issues with:

Pocket presence
    Footwork
    Holding the ball too long
    Throwing into multi coverage
    Missing defenders underneath and throwing picks
    Overthrows

Really? I guess we'll just never agree then. There are reasons his stats have been so bad over his career and it's not entirely because of coaching and surrounding talent. You don't rate as the worst starting QB in the NFL entirely because of outside reasons.

17. semperfigreen

semperfigreen Well-Known Member

some of you are absolutely lost, still sticking up for Darnold. He sucks and would suck with a better offensive line or better receivers. He is inaccurate and has happy feet. On top of it he still can't read a defense. Joe Burrow is on a whole different level than Surfing Sammy. Trevor Lawrence is as well, and you will see how an elitenqb makes those around him better.

18. ColoradoContrails

I've never said that Darnold doesn't have those problems, but I maintain that in large part they're due to poor coaching and surrounding talent. IOW: had he received the proper coaching from Day 1, and perhaps allowed to sit and learn for a season or two, you wouldn't see those problems, and/or they would not be as great. Lots of even great QBs have those problems to some degree - not saying Darnold is great, or even will become great, but simply saying that these problems aren't proof that he's a failure.

And I haven't said that his problems were due to "entirely because of outside reasons. But you often DO rate as the worst starting QB in the NFL when you play on the worst team with the worst coaching.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I doubt the scenario. I think opposing teams would have a safety spying Jackson full-time given the Jets lack of talent elsewhere. I think he'd be more likely on IR than leading an effective offense.

20. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member