A Case for Joe Douglas and the Slow Burn

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Our interior line was just horrible yesterday, I get Chris Jones does it every Sunday. But it was really bad. That’s where most pressures came. That pressure worst for QB. To me, OL not better than last year, so much for the OL upgrade by JD. But think it was smart on the contracts he gave. Not tied to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOJAZ and Jets79 like this.
  2. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I do discount it. I think hes a lame duck coach. Theres no way they're gonna bring a young qb to this team. I think they only way he stays is if we somehow dont get the first pick and thats more self sabotage than anything else.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

What bothers me me about this whole 'tanking' process, if indeed it is true, how is Gase still the coach? If I were the coach and I was NOT part of this , knowing full well that I could go down in flames and look bad doing it, I would expect the GM and front office some explanation! But, on the other hand, if I was told all is good with the reassurance that my job is safe, I'll go along with it and still be part of future plans.

This is unprecedented. Tell me an org that tanked purposely and kept their coach during the tanking and remained the following year? I can tell you right now, it was not the 1-15 Kotite Jets, for the fact that they didn't purge that team. Hess wasn't the type of owner to fire coaches mid-season, like the Johnsons. But Kotite was gone the moment the season ended.

I don't get the same feeling here.

#23 BomberJet, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Jets79 likes this.
  4. Sack exchange

Sure. But a lot of those moves were when the team thought Gase was the answer and delusional enough to think he would turn season around. So what is done is done, those players era are gone and Gase had a say in that. Now 0-8 he probably is lame (in many ways o may say). So hopefully he will he gone by bye week is l hope (he has earned the right to be fired over and over), but with the Johnson’s who knows? We may have to deal with him to end of year. Or, He could be back next year to groom our new QB, she nice Darnold not his guy and failed to implement his genius game plans.

SOJAZ likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh I get what you're saying but I don't think cheap contracts to bad players are acceptable. Lewis and Van Roten are backups at best. McGovern doesn't look like an NFL starter either.

SOJAZ and Sack exchange like this.
  6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

For the life of me I cannot understand why people think Gase will be here next year. I honestly think they are just saying it for something to complain about. Just because he is not released mid season, doesn’t mean the Jets want him here. And there is still time for him to be released at the bye week if they do want to go that direction.

7. MaximusD163

Winters is just as bad and more expensive so you can explain your reasoning for that if you want. Who would you have signed for those positions?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Sack exchange

Common sense tells most that he is gone, and done deal the only question just when. But we are jets fans, and unfortunately the Jets way is not sensible at times. Like he was hired in the 1st place!

Jets79, Noam, NCJetsfan and 1 other person like this.
  9. MaximusD163

I guess. Frankly at this point I want him to stay through the season. I want the 1st pick now, and I don’t really want to give anyone else a shot to win a couple games. The Chargers and Patriots have shown they are capable of handing over a win. Browns too. I’d rather get the first overall riding comfortably on Gase’s incompetence.

rickjet and NCJetsfan like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Although times running out quick, there IS one scenario where Gase stays.

Gase and Sam are playing for their NFL lives. They both know it.

They both are desperate to win just enough games to prevent JD from drafting Trevor/Fields/etc.

IF Jets win 2-3 games down the stretch (think BOTH NE games), and one more, then there's at least a 10% chance we keep Gase for continuity for Sam and our new team. Basically an exact replay of 2019.

Win big, draft great, continuity with Gase/Sam going forward with a far better oline and new weapons for Sam.

Especially if we have another non-TC were continuity is paramount.

That's pretty much the only path forward for Gase or Sam.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Excellent post. Thanks for trying to keep this place sane. I fear that it will do little good, however, as some posters seem intent that the sky is falling. The next thing we know posters will be jumping out of the windows in high rises or slashing their wrists. I've never seen the amount of hand wringing and sheer panic in posters. It's sad, but I guess it's understandable, as most of us have never seen a real, honest-to-God GM go about his work. We've only seen schlubs who didn't know what they were doing. In addition there is so much disappointment with Sam not developing, Mosley being another wasted big FA signing, Bell not working out here, so many of the rookies being injured and not contributing/playing, and all the inept play on the field.

#31 NCJetsfan, Nov 2, 2020
    IIMeanDeanII and MaximusD163 like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Robby would have been a nice player to have been kept and with a different HC, should have been kept, but he's no Megatron or Jerry Rice, so let's not get carried away. I'm certain that Gase had made it clear to Douglas that he didn't like and wasn't going to use Anderson. If you were the GM in that situation, would have re-signed a player that you knew your HC wasn't going to use? It would have just been wasting a roster spot and cap space. Douglas had to try to support Gase and he couldn't have fired him if he wanted to. He had to give Gase what he wanted and give him the opportunity to succeed on his own terms. If Gase succeeded, great, then Anderson's loss would have been inconsequential. If Gase failed, then Douglas knew he had plenty of ammo to go to the Johnsons with to get control of the team in his hands, and likely be able to hire his own HC. He's no dummy. He knew that he couldn't be blamed for Gase's hiring or firing. He could honestly say that he had supported Gase and tried to help him win, and it would become glaringly apparent that Gase just isn't even a decent HC.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I guess you haven't been a Jets fan very long.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

i would bet that if the jets get QB Lawrence with #1 pick, Douglas takes a center with Seattle's #1 pick or a different INTERIOR offensive lineman. I know, we need WR and CB also (actually throw a dart at the map, we need everything), but I bet Douglas goes to the middle of OL with Seattle's pick if he does not trade up or down.

15. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Mims was the much-higher rated WR prospect. Claypool didn't have much production at Notre Dame. He had one season over 800 yards. Mims had 2-3 years of excellent production, with two seasons over 1,000 yards and another with almost 800, and is a willing and good blocker and a complete WR. Mims was rated as a 1st round prospect, Claypool as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

#35 NCJetsfan, Nov 2, 2020
  16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

I would agree. Without knowing exactly what will be available in the draft and/or FA, just in general it should be easy enough to add another receiver or two in FA that will at least be competent enough to, along with Mims, provide Lawrence with enough solid weapons to not feel as though he's going to a war with a plastic knife and one arm tied behind his back. Shoring up the interior line for the long term would be more important and should be Douglas' first priority outside of the QB, unless there is some absolute stud of a prospect at another position sitting there when we make the Seattle pick.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

In addition, Gase may not have liked Claypool, and Claypool wasn't the same level of prospect as Mims.

Jets81 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Yes, synergy is valuable, and in normal circumstances (sans Gase) Anderson should have been kept, but if Sam is that dependent for success upon one WR who isn't even all that, then Sam isn't a topflight NFL QB prospect.

19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Gase's HC career is all but over. He'll have to be the OC for several years on a very prolific offense to sniff another chance.

Sam's career? It's just beginning. Decent chance he's soon moving on from the Jets, but he's like 12 years old and a former overall #3 pick who's shown terrific flashes at times. Other teams know his offensive teammates have been dog shit for three years running. He'll probably get a chance to start somewhere else right away. If not, it's just a matter of time.

20. NCJetsfan

I was surprised and a little disappointed when Douglas didn't fire at least a couple of the scouts, but I thought then and still do that he was trying to be fair and see what kind of job they did with him giving them a completely different set of parameters with which to work. They must have at least initially passed the test since he didn't fire any. There's also the possibility that no one he liked better was available. It will be interesting to see in the coming year or two if he replaces any of the scouts.

Jets81, jets_fan and tomdeb like this.