Jets trade Avery Williamson to the Steelers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Nov 1, 2020.

1. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

This is the worst Jets team we’ve ever had.
    He’s sold off and cut a lot of good pieces, but hasn’t replaced shite.
    He sticks by Gase and subsequently ruined the most promising QB prospect we’ve had since Pennington.
    Veteran players are clashing with this org at every turn, and can’t wait to get out (or opt out).

It’s a disaster. I can’t see calling it anything but that.

SOJAZ and BomberJet like this.
  2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

If you want to become a competent organization it starts with coach and QB. Douglas knew this team wasn't going anywhere with Gase so he didn't waste assets to chase short term success.

Let's see how he handles this offseason before we get too critical.

rickjet, AJW and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I made a thread dedicated to this

4. BacktoQueens

If he thought Gase wasn’t the answer, why didn’t he push for change before wasting this season and QB?

He had such a bad offseason this year, I’m having a hard time being blindly optimistic about next offseason.
    We going to blow a lot of draft capital on QB, again, and likely end with same result unless a LOT changes dramatically and quickly.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that the Jets will be getting any comp picks. With all the cap space they have, and the plethora of players that will probably be available due to the lower cap, Douglas will be signing a number of FAs.

blackssmagic and rickjet like this.
  6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Awesome. Where is it? Cuz I don't see any thread showing all our draft picks.

7. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Not impressed? What the heck did you think they were getting? They’re lucky they got anything.

8. BacktoQueens

I’m happy for Williamson.
    Solid hard nosed LB going to a great LB team, and away from this dumpster fire.

Thank you for your efforts and best of luck in Pitt.

SOJAZ, cval and papapump like this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It was the worst team before he started the dismantle. You act like he's got rid of a lot of important future pieces for this team. The only player you could really make that argument for was, Jamal Adams.. He talked his bitch ass out the door. Fuck him..

I'm glad he Is dismantling such a shite team.. Replacing them comes through the draft. You can't just replace people during a tear down mid-season. It doesn't work that way.

We all have to wait, doesn't matter If we like It or not, that's the scenario we find ourselves In.

JD has ZERO ties to anything on this team. Including, Gase. We are essentially doing the very thing that the Dolphins just did. They completely tore everything down, have started a true rebuild, and they are already much better off for It.

We should've done this years ago.

Ray Lucas, SOJAZ, NYJFOREVER and 8 others like this.
  10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Brook! and NYJalltheway like this.
  11. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

12. That 80 mill in cap space no longer means what it once did. By breaking this team down to this extent, you have roster spots to fill.Id expect alot of second & 3rd tier FAs.Forget anything close to a big name.They cant afford to go “big game hunting”

Also expect even more trades for picks incl trading down next draft. They dont really have any choice bc they need volume so badly

blackssmagic likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yeah I was thinking about comp picks....we are going to be losing and signing a lot of free agents...and I think the formula for getting comp picks is based on losing more free agents than you sign

I’m assuming JD signed so many one year deals for this exact reason....we want to make sure we lose a bunch of free agents, at least several more than we sign with all our cap space....

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

15. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

This team is 0-8 with avery williamson. A guy we picked up in FA as his previous team didnt want to pay him. A type of player that appears every year.

I honestly think if we wanted to keep avery past this year, we would have approached him on an extension, and if rebuffed we know where we stand which was.

1 alright player for 8 games.

So we traded a player who would be a FA in eight games that most of us want to lose, and thats:

- 3.4 million off the books and rolled to next year, a year where top teams will be cutting/trading big contract players due to the much lower cap.
    - a guranteed 5th round pick

Good teams replace/draft average starters like avery every year, and Joe is setting us up for the future.

We just need the execution to succeed.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

16. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Good move for everyone involved when you consider the tenure, contract and age. Some of us won't be around to see this pick turn into the nothing that it's destined to become but hey. Yay, another rebuild:rolleyes:

Brook! likes this.
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This was a bad day to buy an Avery Williamson jersey.

But a good day to buy an Avery Williamson towel.

Brook!, FJF and Centiment like this.
  18. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

You realize that half the people in the league are saying "Never heard of this guy the Jets traded" and the other half are saying "Who are the Jets?"

Ron

apjbfc and Brook! like this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's a good trade because it means somebody who might mean something 2 years down the road gets snaps now. The picks are almost irrelevant, it's the opportunity to develop a long-term asset at ILB that might be worth something.

It's probably 50/50 that the 2022 Jets got something out of this even if the draft that year is canceled.

20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Moves like this pay dividends for many years. Not only is Douglas ridding this roster of older expiring contracts, but he is trading guys away to winning teams while doing so.

Players and agents remember GM's that do this. Douglas has a lot of respect in this league and this is just building on that respect.

SOJAZ, NYJFOREVER, Br4d and 7 others like this.