Jets trade Avery Williamson to the Steelers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Nov 1, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Per Manish. Compensation not out yet.

2. BroadwayAaron

Good for Williamson. A good player with a lot to contribute. Another guy I’m happy to see get the hell out of here and land with a contender.

3. BroadwayAaron

A 5th. Probably weren’t gonna get much more elsewhere. But Jesus Christ we can’t even capitalize til 2022? Questionable.

BomberJet, Royal Tee and NYJalltheway like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Just last week I was so in favor of moving Williamson because he's obviously not helping us win any 0-8 games and he's obviously not a long term option I have no idea what we received in draft value but I'm excited that JD is giving us more draft capital even despite already having more draft picks than any other NFL GM over the next 2-3 draft's.

I remember I was claiming Avery Williamson could go for a 3rd or more likely a 4th . I was pretty much laughed at (and maybe rightfully so) but I feel he's more valuable than just a 5th 6th or 7th round pick again I could be wrong but I'm anxious to see what type of draft pick we received in return.

Even if it's for a 5th that could become a nice round to find a sleeper RB, OLB, CB, O-Line or heck even a SS because as of right now lol we have none.

JD at this rate will seriously have 40+ picks over the next 3 drafts and rightfully so because as of right now Becton, Mims and QW are our only long-term keepers on a soon to be 0-16 roster.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Actually 2022 is better than next year because Pitt just might win the SB this year.
    That said ... if the best we can get is a 5th, I'd rather just keep the player ... but good for him.
    They did him a favor.

alleycat9, Vida, Royal Tee and 4 others like this.
  6. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Fantastic. I'll trade anyone over age 27, (except Gore obviously) and take whatever picks we can get.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Actually we had to give up Williamson AND a 7th round pick just to get a 5th round pick. I think that sucks. Was Douglas that desperate to shed salary? I'm not impressed.

ouchy, alleycat9, Vida and 3 others like this.
  8. NYJalltheway

Can't wait to trade Mcgovern and a 2024 7th, for a 2025 6th.

SOJAZ, rickjet, Centiment and 3 others like this.
  9. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I would feel so bad for this kid listening to him on joe and evan....

10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

He wasn’t worth much on the last year of a contract...it’s basically an 8 game rental for Pitt. Only worth a swap of our 7th for their 5th..

but it’s exactly what we knew we’d be doing

full 100% tear down...anyone with any value is gone

I would think JDis going to listen to any and all offers....

Br4d, JetBlue and Royal Tee like this.
  11. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I hope we use the pick on a practice squad QB...we will probably need another one after we trade White for a 1st.

JetsNation06 and NYJalltheway like this.
  12. bigbucks24

bigbucks24 Active Member

Then the JD will have more draft picks in the next 47 years than any GM has ever had in the history of GMing.

13. NYJalltheway

After some failed googling, can someone give an updated list of all our picks in the next 2 drafts?

14. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Not quite.

"First draft was in 1936 and was 9 rounds, went to 20 rounds in 1939, 30 rounds in 1943, 25 rounds in 1949, 30 rounds in 1950, back down to 20 rounds in 1960, 17 rounds in 1967, down to 12 rounds in 1977, then down to 8 rounds in 1993 and then down to the 7 rounds we have today starting in 1994."

https://landryfootball.com/nfl-draft-history-free/

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I just wonder how many years we will be getting the #1 pick overall, next year will be a guarantee, this message board will be suicidal and very abrasive fire the next 5yrs

16. BroadwayAaron

I get that he was going to walk anyway so might as well get something... but we’d probably get a 5th or 6th round comp pick without having to give up the 7th. Made sense to do it but I have a hard time acting like it was anything more than lateral. I’m happier for Williamson than us.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The way to look at this is not whether we can draft a guy like Williamson with a 5th rounder, but whether the 7th to 5th rounder swap is worth more for us than keeping Avery for 8 more games left in this season. After this season he is UFA, and any team can sign him, even the Jets if they want. Having him on the roster in 2020 does not make him playing for the Jets in 2021 any more likely. And with us actually benefitting more from losing this year than winning, a 5th rounder over 8 game rental is another trade that makes sense.

It is also good this was not a 2021 swap, since currently with us last and Stealers first, we are only moving up really one round. In 2022, the move up in the draft to Stealers pick may be a be a bit better.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

It’s a horrible trade.
    Of course you aren’t impressed how could you be?
    All Douglas has done is dismantle every good piece we’ve had, for little to no compensation, without replacing them.

But the one piece he stands by is Gase.

Not being impressed is kind.
    Douglas has been a straight up disaster.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  19. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Well-Known Member

The guy has had one full offseason and he's acquiring assets and avoiding burdensome deals because he understands this team isn't good enough to compete for a title, and won't be without a serious infusion of young talent.

What would you have preferred he did?

amuck57, Br4d, NYJFOREVER and 3 others like this.
  20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Not sure on the comp pick. Doesn’t signing a lot of free agents usually net it out to be nothing? I don’t quite get how the compensation process works but I always thought it was a net of who you lose vs who you sign and it’s weighted by some sort of talent metric. I assume (and hope) we are quite active in free agency this offseason.

Jets79 likes this.