Trevor Lawrence hints at staying in school

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Shea Jet, Oct 27, 2020.

1. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I lived down South

Never liked it

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Would love to see the two Joe's, Douglas and Namath as the only guys in the room for that interview. Give Lawrence a look at the last great Jet QB and the GM who will be filling in the gaps around him during the rebuild.

3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

To be fair, O’Brien and Pennington were not too bad. They had good careers. Todd and Sanchez were serviceable and had few good moments. Other than that Lucas played well couple of yrs, playing above talent level. But have to agree with the rest! No home grown talent. We have not done very well and all.

Jets 1st or 2nd round QB picks:
    Namath - HOF - only super bowl
    Todd - serviceable - 1 championship game
    O’Brien - good career - several playoff games
    Nagle - complete bust
    Pennington - good career - several playoff games
    Sanchez - serviceable- 2 championship games
    Clemons - dud- backup
    Smith - dud - backup
    Hackenburg - complete bust
    Darnold - ?

I can only imagine this list, if we would have drafted better, a few names we had chance to draft and were linked to with personnel folks here at the time...

Marino
    Farve
    Manning - stayed in school
    Wilson

That’s 4 HOF QBs... how different would be jets history?

Lawrence. Will we even have him if we go 0-16? Sure hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 Sack exchange, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

He’s declaring. Jacksonville will select him at #1

5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Who's the last big time QB who announced at the beginning of his season that he was definitively declaring for the draft?

I'm honestly asking, because I can't remember, and it feels like it's one of those things that never happens even though everyone knows they're gone. From my general memory, guys ALWAYS say stuff like Lawrence did until the season is over, and THEN they formally announce their intentions.

tl;dr isn't this standard operating procedure for high profile NCAA players, especially QBs?

#25 Snatch Catch, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

No one here wants him to stay in school.

So lets say he comes out this year. But Jacksonville get him, and we get the top pick next year! Not THATs painful.

7. Get some fathead wall graphics of Mekhi up in whatever room that they meet in as well. Who wouldnt want that protecting their blindiside & only entering yr 2 in league?!

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What hint?

"My mindset has been that I'm going to move on," Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen."

He says his mindset is to move on, he is only being sanguine with the latter part of the comment.

He will be in the draft 100% bar injury.

NYJFOREVER, FJF and Borat like this.
  9. Sack exchange

Would take him 1st even if injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K'OB likes this.
  10. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I read this articles that the title is misleading bullshit. He didnt say anything of substance

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You can't read these "news" headlines anymore and assume you will get actual reporting. The headline is absolute BS. I heard this actual interview. He was asked that he made it clear that this is last season, is there anything that would make you reconsider? He was like, wow, it's a tough one , I don't know (what would make him reconsider). There was no "hint" of staying in school. It was more like he didn't make final decision yet, but more than likely he is declaring. This is the same exact stance he had before. Literally nothing had changed except this BS headline.

To summarize, yes, there is a small chance he might stay until he declares officially, but more than likely he is declaring.

12. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

He's been watching some Jet games recently to make that type of comment. We don't know for sure what he's exactly leaning towards but if he spent a few hours watching the product the Jets put out on the field, he has to be wondering wtf this abomination is all about. I would be questioning why Gase is still the HC after ruining a young QB and when 3 other teams fired theirs with better records. He's not stupid.

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yes. The reality is the #1 pick in the draft always goes to the worst team from the prior year. That's just how the draft system is set up. Would he really want to play another year, risk losing millions due to injury to avoid playing for the Jets? Sounds silly. What would prevent the Jets from having the #1 pick in 2022? And if not how would he prevent the Jets from obtaining that pick in a trade ?

If the Jets have the first pick Lawrence will be the guy.....

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. How do you even know what what he has been watching? He has his own season to focus on, and it is far from stupid to do so. He will end up going the shittiest team in NFL, be it Jets or someone else. That's what #1 picks do. He is not some FA who decides which team to pick up. He is the #1 overall pick, whose job is to go to the absolute worst NFL has to offer and hopefully make it better, that's NFL designed the system that way. As a smart guy, he knows it. If he is that good, he will get the worst.

Brook! and JetsNation06 like this.
  15. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Watching the video the impression I got was that he was saying who knows I’m not focusing on that I’m focusing on winning a championship. I think he is coming out no matter what.

K'OB likes this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He wouldn't have to return to school. He could just say that he wont report and demand a trade, which usually works.

17. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

How do you know that he's not been watching the Jets? He is THE #1 pick and he knows this. Don't you you think he has some curiosity as to what teams are in the running? Wouldn't you? No , sorry, he has options. He can stay in School, he can tell the Jets he won't play for them. He can hold out IF the Jets pick him. He's controlling his destiny. There are some very reliable sources noting this.

Why would he say the things he just said? To get headlines? Nope' He's throwing some clues out there.

18. Sack exchange

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Or he could just be saying if the Jets keep Gase around and keep taking guys like Adams, Anderson, Bell and maybe Williams away he may have to reconsider entering the draft.

20. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member