Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He got let out to dry. Under the right circumstances he had a chance to be a franchise QB. The Jets didn’t help him at all.

Lawrence will be coming into a completely different situation with a new coaching staff and a lot of new players. Hopefully it works

NYJFOREVER, rammagen and FJF like this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Matt is not a WR, he is a QB. You have to look at yards, but also other metrics of a QB, such as completion percentage, passer ratings, etc. And when you look at all these Ryan is not bad, bot certainly not the best. QBR is basically middle of the pack.

Anderson is top 5 in multiple key categories, like yards and also receptions. That's pretty much the job of a WR. He is having an amazing season now, while with Darnold and Gase he actually regressed from the year before. If you want to have an honest discussion, you have to admit Anderson is playing great, while under Sam/Gase he was just OK.

rammagen likes this.
  3. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Don't think anyone will be able to "teach him" how to stop throwing interceptions. Sam looks bad on a rookie deal can't imagine how poor he'll look if some team actually signs him to a long term contract

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This thread is overreacting. Yes Darnold isn’t any good but he could easily be a very good QB the second he leaves the team. It’s almost like magic how good these players play when they’re no longer hampered by Gase. With that said, he needs a fresh start and no way we give him the kind of contract he will be looking for. To sell this team to a new coach we need to say it’s a blank slate, we have 2 first round picks and you got $80 million in the bank to spend.

5. Ray Lucas

Would love for you to tell me why you believe he can easily be a very good QB on another team?

6. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I agree that he was a promising talent and had an OK year for a rookie where there was hope. However, you must recognize that even under Gase he improved in his second year. He wasn't ruined when Gase just came in, he took a step forward, in particularly in the second half of the season, to the point where a lot of people, including myself, were hoping 3d year would be even better, a breakout year perhaps. However, just like in College, he seems to be taking a big step backwards in his 3d year. Ultimately, while I do agree Gase is absolutely terrible, it looks like the history is repeating itself.

It's kind of like Rosen at this point, who actually got worse in his second season. They were considered similar level talent, but Rosen less durable. Durability has not been a factor for Rosen, but he still didn't develop. The book has not yet been fully written for neither Rosen nor Sam, and Sam has done better of course, but at this point it's starting to look like Sam is going more into the direction of Rosen than anyone has thought after the second season.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  7. Ray Lucas

Things like this happen entirely too often.

8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I thought it was funny on commentary this week when one of the announcers said something to the effect of Sam doesn't sense the rush until it's in his lap.

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's very coachable. Don't even need to be a genius or a QB whisperer, just reasonably competent. What we don't know, and won't know until a change is made, is if Darnold is coachable.

ColoradoContrails and jetstopgun like this.
  10. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

here is the thing one is not exclusive of the other. They go hand in hand As a matter of fact you can say Sam is bad because Gase has completely f'ed this franchise and failed at the one thing he was hired to do. Sam has clearly regressed and is not playing well. That was gase's one main mission.

11. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

I’m sorry you’re not really paying attention he is under siege and is trying to get rid of the ball as quickly as possible..has he made mistakes? Oh yes he has....is he getting help from Adam Gase to fix those mistakes NO he’s NOT ...Add in the fact he has no help In the skilled position receivers if you’re watching closely Other than Crowder not one receiver on this team gets separation...and IF they do separate he’s not getting the time to throw .... first off No one’s going to sign him to a long-term deal ..he’ll get a one or two year at best show me deal... you really believe he’s had a fair shot here?? If you do you guys need to pass whatever your smoking around

rammagen and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

“Quarterback Sam Darnold led New York to the only passing offense to not generate positive EPA per pass play when kept clean for the week so far, and they were nowhere close to being positive (-0.56). When he was free from pressure, Darnold went 7-for-18 for 59 yards and two interceptions. That’ll likely lead to the worst clean-pocket passing grade in a single game this year”.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-week-7-pff-refocused-buffalo-bills-18-new-york-jets-10

I feel like Darnolds highlights usually occur when he’s running/scrambling on a broken play. He never just sits back in a clean pocket and throws a beautiful spiral to hit a WR in stride, or places the ball in a tight space that only his guy can get to. I understand the WR’s aren’t great or even good, tight end can’t catch a cold, but they’re NFL football players and they do get separation on occasion. Darnold rarely makes a defense pay.

In this situation he has to play great to be average, but he’s not. Plenty of blame to go around, and he absolutely deserves his fair share at this point.

#1052 Jets81, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This has been my problem with him now since his rookie year. Almost every highlight he has is when he is running for his life and making something out of nothing. It is never him just sitting back and picking apart a defense.

And the most infuriating part is a lot of people like to say that we should cater to his out of pocket passing ability and let him play "street ball". He can't run for his life every fuckin pass LOL

We need a pocket passer who makes defenses pay in blown coverage. We need a pocket passer that recognizes the blitz and sits back and throws into it. Darnold is not that guy.

14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

At this point, I just don't think even if we get the most out of Sam with a new coach it will be enough. I'd rather try with #1 overall, national title winner, and generational QB...

15. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

at this point, the darnold supporters just dont want to admit that their evaluation of him was wrong

16. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I think you play to a players strengths, but he doesnt really have many that are consistent enough to play to.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

17. Falco21

You absolutely do, but when a players strength is making throws running for his life, how do you play to that? LOL

Maybe that's why our offensive line has sucked for years!! It all makes sense now!! LOL

matt robinson 17, azhar80 and zace like this.
  18. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Maybe weve been the fools all along lmao

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Falco21 likes this.
  19. Falco21

That's our offensive guru head coach working his magic!!

zace likes this.
  20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

We get these every week, but I do wonder if you evaluated every QB, could you find plays like this every game for them too? I feel like you could. Too many plays, too many routes, the QB is going to miss some each game. So it is hard to tell if Sam is just being picked on for his weekly misses or if this is a normal thing for QB's. I really don't know, but he definitely has plays he wishes he could have back every single game, and that is disappointing.

FJF likes this.