Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well whoever that is on top if cutting in and there's a safety there which eliminates him from the play. The deep route should have been the one, but at this point Sam is scared of his own shadow. The damage is irreparable. But let's not pretend like this is a perfectly fine play call or play design.

SOJAZ and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah dude. It's an over crossing route with a 9 route on top. You can dislike it if you want but this exists in NFL playbooks.

When your team faces a lot of pressure and you can't throw the ball down the field you call for max protect.

hornblower and REVISion like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

I know what the play is, I'm saying that it's not a good playcall or really good play design for this QB and this team. The OL is bad... better than last year, but still bad. This is gonna sound crazy but, I actually don't hate that we don't take deep shots a ton. I think we need to do it more, but this OL and this QB aren't built for that. Maybe if you have, oh I dunno, Peyton Manning and prime DT that's gonna work 9 times out of 10. But that's just not a good play for this team especially when the QB is regressing. Easy to see why he's regressing.

4. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He looks the same as in college and he wasnt that great looking there.

People loved the potential not the actual film. I always think its a bad idea to draft a qb with bad mechanics and potential. If you dont have those things by this point, youre not gonna get them at all. He lacks arm talent consistency along with other qualities and thats why you get what you get with him, an erratic qb. He needed to sit and fix those things before coming in. Bridgewater should have started.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning struggled to throw the ball down field much as he got older. He worked in the WCO pretty well without the aforementioned deep shots.

I understand your viewpoint but not throwing the ball down field or at least flinging the ball over the receivers head to open up a perceived threat of it being there is bad for NFL offenses. You get a result of Cam Newton versus the 49ers yesterday where they are him up short because he can't throw deep.

Darnold has the arm to at least show it. The porous offensive line is why max protect is called in.

I like deep shots so we definitely disagree in philosophy. Worst case scenario is you get a punt to their own 25 while the defense is playing well. If you don't connect you might get a PI.

6. BroadwayAaron

I like deep shots too, but deep shots, not a game predicated on the deep ball a la Tampa Bay. I agree that Sam should have released it there and he should have a ton more times throughout the last two years. My point is that's not who he is right now. His confidence is shot, help him out a bit. It's not absolving Sam of all blame but it's a continuing trend of this staff not adjusting to what they have and helping their QB. IF they had done that, we wouldn't be on the verge of looking for a new one.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Sam can look really good when he has time to throw. Sam can show good pocket presence when he is not getting beat up repeatedly by unblocked blitzers. Lack of talent is a secondary issue where Sam tries t do too much, take risks and everything breaks down. Most of not all of this is the fault of and stubbornness of Gase. For 2 years he has failed to adjust to defenders overloading blitzers and killing our QB. The problem is all these beatings have made Sam hesitant and nervous in the pocket. I don't think it is going to happen here with Sam. It may never happen anywhere for him but he needs a change of a scenery. Can he rebound and reset mentally with a new team? Put him on a good team with a good OL and an OC that will protect him and allow him while allowing his confidence to grow and he might become a very good QB. Pittsburgh would be a great place for him. I like Sam. He has a great attitude, he works hard and he does not complain but I am ready to move on to Trevor.

SOJAZ likes this.
  8. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

How exactly is Darnold more talented? He has an an average arm at best. Darnold maybe slightly faster out of the pocket but I’m not seeing any major difference between the two as a pure talent level.

REVISion likes this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darnold's arm is pretty good. He just doesn't use it effectively

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Sam may not be the answer for this team, but some of the fans here are highly under estimating the impact to Sam and this whole unit due to piss poor if not atrocious offensive coaching and play calling. Trevor or not this team will go no where until we get rid of Gase and most of his staff. Appalling. All the QBs we make reference to have a far better coaching staff playing to each teams strengths, from Cincy to SD, from the Panthers to the Giants, you name it. Most every game I watch on a weekend has new, young coaches everywhere, many ex coordinators lighting it up with passion and clever play calling. Only the Jets and the Cowboys sit there stinking up the play book with pathetic game plans, and continue to use the skill talent base as the only excuse for their demise.
    Gase has literally destroyed this team from top to bottom. . Sam may turn out to be another victim of the system, but make no mistake, Gase has done fuck all nothing to improve a kid in desperate need of development. Worst hire ever.
    Keeping him around is literally poisoning this team and its future, TL or not.
    Sorry for venting, but the second half yesterday was the most disgusting offensive display ever, beginning and ending with an idiotic, never changing game plan. Never once adjusting or countering the changes the defense showed in the second half.

#930 LAJet, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Ralebird, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

It’s really hard to pinpoint blame when literally EVERYTHING sucks.

coaching has been terrible across the board, from game planning to playing time decisions to player relationships....all terrible

OL play has been pretty damn bad....Becton is pretty much the only bright spot....a new line, but not much better than the old line

Receivers have been bad....yes some of it due to injuries so far, but outside of Crowder, they all drop way too many passes that hit them in the hands..,Berrios, Herndon, etc. these guys can’t catch shit

RBs haven’t been great...all the talk about Perine yesterday...dude had what, 40 yards on 11 carries? He was ok not great...no idea why we keep featuring a 37 year old dude who is not part of our future, but that’s back on coaching again

and yes, Sam has been bad...yesterday was a tale of two halves, but that damn pick at the end of the first half was killer....

it’s just hard to pinpoint exactly where to start. I really think our roster is FAR and AWAY the worst in the league across the board....maybe only Jacksonville comes close....

these discussions are interesting, but there is so much crap on the field, that it’s hard to diagnose exactly how bad Sam is or how good could he be under different circumstances.

personally, if we get the top pick there’s no way we can pass on Lawrence, but I also think Sam can do better than he’s done...

SOJAZ and MoWilkBeast like this.
  12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They were showing the Titans running similar 2 receiver sets and Tannehill was hitting them in stride as they came across the field.

We need to stop making excuses for Sam, he should be a bit better at this point, when he had Anderson in similar formations he would just chuck it and let Anderson either make a play on it or overthrow it!

He can still do the same with these formations.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

One good quarter proves to you that he's not trash when we have 2.5 seasons mostly consisting of trash play? What?

Sam is not a good QB. It was obvious to some of us last year and it should be obvious to everyone at this point.

SOJAZ and matt robinson 17 like this.
  14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The only problem I had with the game was the fourth and one on in the red zone. A straight ahead handoff to the back who was stacked up. Perhaps if Sam had pulled it back and ran it could have turned out better. But I guess with his injuries he didn't want to risk it.

15. stanblinkasarm

stanblinkasarm New Member

No,he actually looks worse. Sam Darnold had one of the highest QB ratings in the league for the last 4 games of his rookie year under Jeremy Bates.

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

65.0!

Sam Darnold is another USC NFL BUST and he has to go; asap!

The more I've thought about it? The more I've realized that...

Cover 2 been the same since little league.

Man to man coverage been the same since little league.

Cover 3 been the same since little league.

Zone defense been the same since little league.

Etc. Etc.

And that's the problem here folks. Sam Darnold? Regardless of the freaking "play call" is absolutely horrible above the shoulders after the snap because he CAN NOT and I repeat CAN NOT read defenses without being a turnover machine.

And that's because he was a FREAKING CONVERTED LINEBACKING LB IN HIGH SCHOOL!

Take Trevor Lawrence for example. His parents PAID MONEY for a professional QB trainer while Trevor was in MIDDLE SCHOOL! Sam? He was practicing how to TACKLE at that age, lol.

Heading into yesterday's Buffalo game I predicted the turnover machine would toss 2 INTs and a fumble. Well. He proved me right and threw another 2 INTs!

How many coaching staffs, HCs, OCs, O-Lineman (who are starting for other teams right now), WRs (Robby Anderson) and excuses are we going to have to go through before realizing that Sam Darnold is truly the one to blame?

3rd year in the league? 32nd ala DEAD LAST amongst all QBs in QB Rating @ only 65.0?!??!? This is not allowed.

We seriously need to stop blaming ADAM GASE for SAM DARNOLD.

Because the worst QB Rating Ryan Tanny ever put up under Gase during their two years together were QB Ratings of 93.5 and 92.7.

Sam Darnold?!??? 65.0?!?!?

So who's the real loser now?!?

Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez were better than this bust and even MATT MOORE had a better QB Rating under Gase than Sam Darnold!

My rant is over I'm officially done with Sam Darnold talk because he's a bust who makes everyone around him worse and absolutely dead to me.

Not being able to get a whopping 5 2nd half yards on offense is all on the QB. Sam is the worst QB in all of football and his 3rd year QB Rating dead last 32nd is proof in the pudding. He stinks!

Ray Lucas and semperfigreen like this.
  17. REVISion

If you're using 4 game stretches to prove your point then it isn't much of a point. There are tons of QB's across history who have played well over 4 games. Idk why we'd ignore the other 27 games Sam has played. He's been below average to terrible in almost all of them.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  18. stanblinkasarm

stanblinkasarm New Member

your correct. My point is that at least he seemed to be on an upward trajectory toward the end of his rookie year,although to be fair,his last game against New England was poor. I think we are on the same page,Jets need a QB. I was just emphasizing that Sam's best moments were actually as a rookie.

19. REVISion

Honestly the excuses should've been over last year. It was pretty obvious then and painfully obvious now that Sam is not good. I can't take anyone seriously who's still making excuses for Sam's poor play.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So did Geno Smith in 2013.

Not trying to blow up your argument but it's not unusual for rookie QB's with some arm potential and mobility to look good against beat-up teams sitting some regulars at the end of the season.

Jonathan_Vilma and REVISion like this.