Sam just isnt good... (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by championjets69, Mar 4, 2020.

1. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This isn't the same.

The relevance of my comparison stemmed with the coach and potential of both players.

Tannehill and Darnold have a very similar story. Darnold is more talented, but, they both suffered the same fate while under the influence of, Gase.

I'm not saying Darnold will have the same trajectory or result when/If he moves on from us, but, I fucking hope so for his sake.

The rest of those guys don't compare to either of those two In terms of talent and potential In my opinion.

2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The best Sam was at the end of his rookie year. He was starting to hit his stride, and it looked like all we needed to do was hire a good coach, and we had our franchise QB. Then Chris Johnson hired Gase, and that was it with that.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Darnold has kind of a unique skillset and it is unclear if anybody was going to get a lot out of him the first couple of years as he adjusted to the NFL. He's basically a mobile risk-taking QB who almost never gives up on a play. The lack of talent around him on the Jets aggravates the downsides of that type of talent.

Running around with the football is only really effective when you have guys around you who are coming back to the football when the QB is in trouble or can get separation on the route tree late in their routes. The Jets have maybe one guy who fits that description in Crowder.

So Darnold throws some outrageous picks and makes some outrageous throws on the run, frequently after doing a 25 yard sprint behind the LOS. If you put that on a team with good assets at WR, TE and RB, like the early 80's Broncos it allows a guy like Elway to get past his early yips and become a good QB. On the Jets, well it's permanent yips.

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

That he went 9/10 to start the game and played really well down the stretch last season says he's not a trash QB to me. He has times when he looks really, really good - in control, accurat, composed and moving the ball well. And then times when he looks Hack bad. It all seems to stem from pressure and game situation. He's broken, but may be fixable with the right coach. Just like Lawrence could be breakable with the wrong coach.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Watching Darnold I see Mark Sanchez, which is not good, good pass, bad pass, indecision, looks lost in the pocket, like it all too much for him, doesn't get rid of the ball soon enough, doesn't decide to run soon enough

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You really have a shitty attitude dude. Don't get into a message board debate and cry "Jesus. Stop," or tell others to educate themselves.

You just have to follow football to know that (regardless of situation or this talent everyone likes to throw around), Sam is a bottom 3 quarterback in the league right now. The Bills are a bottom 10 defense and he couldn't move the ball against them in either game.

Ryan Tannehill has never been that bad. Find me any 5 game stretch where he has a 65 quarterback rating with 3 touchdowns/6 picks and 182 yards per game. Sam's been sacked 18 times and is 0-5.

His worst 5 game stretch is likely in 2018 under Gase where he had an 86.9 quarterback rating with 7 touchdowns/4 picks and averaged 160 yards per game. They were 2-3 over that span and he was sacked 23 times.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TannRy00/gamelog/2018/

The Ryan Tannehill comparisons are old. There are literally HUNDREDS of quarterbacks that bounce around the league and never emulate success in different systems. Not to mention Tannehill had a career 87 quarterback rating when he left Miami. It was above 90 for three of his last four years. He was always a middle of the pack QB after his rookie year Sam isn't close to that - he hasn't clawed out of the bottom 5 in any year.

#906 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Watching Justin Hurbert with the Chargers and Joe Burrow with the Bengals makes me wonder WTF are the Jets doing. I am sure Darnold doesn't have the "IT" factor but the Jets and their lack of getting him any help played a part in this. I really hope Trevor Lawrence can be the Jets version of Hurbert/Burrow with a new CS.

SOJAZ and Red Menace like this.
  8. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

So you talk shit, and then tell me to relax and try to act like the mature one? Get a life pal....2 am responses prove that.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I was going to post something similar, Kyler Murray is another one that can be thrown into the mix. These guys are going to experience some growing pains but their fundamentals are already so far ahead of Darnold and he’s going into his third year in the league.

I know Kyler has two studs at WR but he’s not throwing Hail Marys to them, he’s accurate and puts the ball where it needs to be for them to catch it.

I’m also going to give credit to the Cardinal organization, they moved on from Rosen with no questions asked, and handed over the reigns to Murray instead of stubbornly trying to make it work with Rosen.

Hoping Jets do the same, if Lawrence is the man then just move on from Sam and don’t try to stubbornly make it work.

SOJAZ and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its not so much the turnovers, its overall situational awareness. The clock will be running down and Darnold will run with the football when you can't do that. Of course he misses receivers. He never picks up on a free play opportunity. There are times when its obvious the defense is daring him to throw it into coverage and he still takes the bait and throws it.

Josh Allen doesn't do that stuff by the way. Yeah, he's got more talent around him, but his football IQ and awareness far outweighs Darnold.

3 years of this shit is enough, time for a new QB

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

There are many things out of Darnold's control, but yesterday proved, yet again, that he is not the answer and often times hinders this teams ability to win games.

The offensive line is not very good and our wide receivers leave much to be desired, but the offense was moving the ball quite efficiently in the first half. Mims looked very good, Perriman looked good, Herndon looked good again, and Perrine and Gore were running great. Sam continues to make horrible mistakes. He kills drives with dumbass interceptions and his decision making remains a big concern.

There comes a time when a franchise just needs to move on from a young QB. We have hit that time and Lawrence now needs to be our #1 priority. I think Darnold could have been better with a better situation, but I also hold him HIGHLY accountable for his mistakes. We were sold a bill of goods this offseason with his so called "huge improvements". He looks the same as he did his rookie year.

12. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Good point. Kyler Murray is another one who has the "IT" factor. The three most important things going forward with the Jets are.

1. Win the Lawrence sweepstakes and select him at #1
    2. New CS and not just bringing in a good HC for the obvious reasons but the OC and QB coach need to be solid as well in helping Lawrence develop into a franchise QB.
    3. Joe Douglas. He needs to have a strong draft with all of the picks he has acquired. Drafting Lawrence is a no brainer but he needs to hit a home run with the other picks as well. They need plenty of help on both sides of the ball

Sack exchange likes this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Confidence is a crazy thing especially when it comes to QB's. Sam at this point in his career has no confidence. Can he get it back that remains to be seen. Look at Baker look horrible made a couple plays confidence sores he looks like the next coming.

Can Sam get confidence in this current situation? I am not so sure, it would not surprise me if he goes somewhere else and is successful.

14. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Kyler, is different skill set altogether. Unique he is. so quick and hard to contain on the run. One thing Darnold does not have. Can use that if all else fails. He has HOF receiver as well, you could say he has infinitely better skill around him. I agree, if we get chance to draft Lawrence we have to take. And trade Darnold. Just like they did. Remember they had all new CS as well, probably why HC took the job. Their situation may very well be same as ours next yr.... New CS, new QB, lots of new draftees, etc. we could only hope will be as smooth as theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Tannehill's 3d years stats (similar to when he was with Gase): 66% completion, 27 TDs, 12 INTs, 93 passer rating.
    Sam so far in 3d year: 58% completion, 3 TDs, 6 INTs, 65 passer rating.

He is entering Rosen's territory I am afraid rather than Tannehill. (Rosen as rookie: 55% completion, 11 TD, 14 INT, 67 rating.)

#915 Borat, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    bigbucks24, SOJAZ and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I agree with a lot of that. And I loved Sam but at some point even with all teh shit he has to deal with, he has to make some plays

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is astoundingly bad play design. This is the definition of not belong out your QB. The playcaller is not the problem, the plays are.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He's supposed to throw the ball up and let his receivers try to make a play in single coverage. This isn't some absurd concept in the NFL. Two man routes are shot plays and plenty of teams run them.

There are so many things to pick on Gase about, but trying to isolate things he runs, that every other NFL team runs, is silly.

The quarterback knows he has no checkdown. Throw the ball up or throw it over their heads. There aren't many outcomes. Hit your back foot and let it fly. There's nothing to read.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

31 career games. 34 career interceptions

SOJAZ, REVISion and matt robinson 17 like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am afraid to say it's both. We have speedy receivers, you can throw to them in a single coverage. Or thrown the ball in their direction but over their heads if they couldn't break coverage. Not just stand there wait to be sacked.

Sack exchange likes this.