Should Tod Bowles Have Been Fired After The 2017 Season ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsKickAss, Oct 25, 2020.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I've been thinking a bit about this lately.

So many times a coach inherits or turns a team bad...they get a high draft pick....they draft the Quarterback Of The Future....and the coach has 1 or even 2 years left on his contract....he's brought back for 1 year, let go, and it disrupts the QB's progress.

Bowles was a good DC but showed nothing as a HC. Had we fired him after the 2017 season that would have allowed us to pick a HC that would have been married to Sam Darnold....or whoever we picked in the 2018 draft. You don't waste the 2018 season on a coach who is Dead Man Walking and even the 2019 season breaking in a new coach.

This would have ONLY worked if the Jets knew and loved a HC who would have been fine with any of the 3 top QB's in the 2018 draft (since we were picking 3rd but didn't know who'd be left). You also have to really want the college or NFL OC (DC?) person as your HC.

Chris Johnson fired MM AFTER he spent a ton in FA and ran the 2018 draft (and even picked the HC or at least had input)....so firing Bowles in retrospect AFTER the 2017 season but before the 2018 draft isn't anywhere near as dramatic a change.

Thoughts ?

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not only Bowles but also MacCagnan should have been canned after 2017. They had just finished their second straight 5-11 season. Instead, moron Chris Johnson ADDS two MORE guaranteed years to their contracts. That is why we are still paying Toilet and Mac this year.

5. JetsKickAss

Tough to fire MM after they moved up from #6 to #3 in the draft. But I guess no more tougher than after he spent $$$ in FA, hired Gase, and drafted QW #3.

#5 JetsKickAss, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    tomdeb likes this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Mac didn't hire Gase.

7. JetsKickAss

Still some confusion there....he clearly got the intro rolling. Maybe he even opposed hiring Gase -- we don't know.

8. K'OB

The Jets run an equal footing HC / GM both report to the powder puff brothers

I am sure he had some input but the blame for Gase lies squarely at CJ's door.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thanks Johnsons>>>more woulda coulda shoulda

Toilet Bowles should have been flushed with Mike M instead they were extended??

Stupidity and laziness of Owners...maybe J & J will manufacture smartbrain vaccine just for them

AJW, tomdeb and JetsKickAss like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It's just endless torture for us isn't it?

The Divorce is coming...if Gase stays omfg

Shea Jet, boozer32 and tomdeb like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Frankly he should've been fired before the 2017 season, specifically, right after the 2016 season. He showed nothing as a HC. His lack of HCing ability cost them the shot at the playoffs his first season, and he followed that up with more proof that he was in over head in the 2016 season.

As for Maccagnan, he should've been fired then also, but he ABSOLUTELY should've been fired the second he passed over both Mahomes and Watson and drafted a Safety when they needed a QB! That both he and Bowles were extended after that really should've been the end of my Jets fandom right there because it was eminently clear that the Johnsons are morons. In fact, as I write this, I question why I even still care? I can say that my days as a Jets fan are rapidly dwindling each day that Gase remains as HC.

12. Bowles/Mac should gave been gone after 17 & it was embarassing when they werent.

As for Mac trading up,I believe CJ ordered him to do everything to land one of the big 4 QBs at all costs & that he’d be given immunity regardless of the results in 2018 season.

tomdeb likes this.
  13. JetsKickAss

Fitz cost us the playoffs in Buffalo.

I don't believe that on these or other forums ANYBODY was saying take Mahomes or Watson at #6. The consensus was that we got a great player in Jamal Adams -- and we did. He was just a shitty person.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

As with all posters here, you're entitled to your opinion. I'll stick with mine. Jamal was/is a great player, but he's a Safety which will NEVER be as valuable as a QB in general, and specifically he can't hold a candle to the impact of Mahomes and Watson.

Bowles failed to make the adjustments needed to win that game, but based upon how he coached up until that game, no one should've been surprised.

Shea Jet, tomdeb and JetsKickAss like this.
  15. K'OB

There was one, could have been @legler82 thought he was big on Mahomes before the draft.

16. ColoradoContrails

Yep...he was the one who got me onto Mahomes.

K'OB and JetsKickAss like this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I know it seems like we have had Gase forever but its only been a year and a half. Bowles was fired after 2018.

Bowles was a solid DC but he was way too conservative as a HC. Funny thing is we thought Gase would open up the offense after Bowles overly conservative play calling. He also had a tendency to make little mistakes during the games, clock management, substitutions, and play calling. To be honest he could still develop into a good HC someday and I would take him back as DC anytime.

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Well Gase still had a job then, so I say yes.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I agree. Taking a box safety at #6 overall was stupid when 2 great QBs were there, which he followed up with another safety in round 2 and WRs in both round 3 and 4, both of which are out of the league. I remember watching the draft in 2017 and thinking, how can they keep this guy (MacCagnan) as their GM?

ColoradoContrails likes this.