How hard would it be to no longer be a jet fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sack exchange, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

In NC as well, about 5 yrs now... I am penguins fan, but root for Canes as well, been to a few games. As for the Panthers, not so much, but don’t hate. Been to few games there too. Jets fan for life. I met a lot of jet fans here, they even have a group that get together for games. Until quarantine...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I wish I could. If it was possible, I would have done it 25 or 30 years ago. Unfortunately, I'm a permanent part of this awful, disgraceful franchise. Lucky me.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Not hard at all...in fact it's happing right now all around you.

Lifelong diehard Jets fans will never just cut the chord and start cheering for (pick a team) The Rams. Doesn't work that way.

What happens is we are no longer possets fans who live and breath JETS. We no longer have a terrible Monday and even Tuesday if we lost on Sunday.

Us long time fans have skipped important family events over the years because some dumbass scheduled something for Sunday, 1pm. We felt bad skipping the event to watch the game, but then felt like crap even worse when we lost. We missed something important just to be tutored. But as years go on and the Jets still suck, we will sometimes skip a game or part of it to do something else. Ya, we hope no one ruins the score so we can rush home and TIVO the ending.

We prefer to set ourselves up to watch the game, yell, scream, but we are now willing to catch some of the game on a phone tucked under the table.

I guess we slowly learn to balance our Jets fever with other parts of life.

Maybe someday if the Jets become NE we can go back to blacking out Sundays on our calendars so no one DARES plan anything for that day! Just like before.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It will be very easy for me if Gase is going to be the HC next season regardless of how FA and the draft go. I will be sad, but will not even think twice. I'll be done.

Even if Gase is fired and we have an exciting new HC, if Douglas doesn't address the offensive position skill players in a serious manner between FA and the draft, I'm more than likely done, because even with a new HC, if Douglas doesn't surround whomever the QB is with playmaking talent, that QB is not going to succeed. That will show me that Douglas doesn't have a clue what he's doing, and all hope for the future of the Jets will be gone. If that happens, I'll probably root for Green Bay until Rodgers retires and then I'll be done with the NFL and will find other things to do with my time.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Na. I've given you hard times before NC but you're a stand up man. Not happening. TGG would never be the same without NCJF. You aren't going anywhere anytime soon even if we draft a 1st rd DT over Trevor you'll still be here giving us a mock draft in absolute disgust lol keep posting man I want to see an early off-season mock draft from you here shortly curious who you'd bring to the Jets to help us finally winb

6. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Very, Jets fans are used to a losing culture with bursts of competency. If you're still around to consider quitting now then you're already too far down the rabbit hole. I think people will become passive fans. Rather than block off time to watch live. We'll catch highlights somewhere and keep stepping.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

If it weren’t for the Rangers I wouldn’t know what a championship feels like, but I was way to young back then to truly appreciate it, not too mention it was tainted by OJ Simpson and Al Cowlings.

Stopped following the Knicks after the Houston loss. Stopped following the Rangers after they won that cup. Same year. I’m almost positive that my fandoms for both teams was more to do with being a kid with nothing to do on school nights and having access to the MSG network. Started high school the following year and never really gave them much of a thought after that.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Idk if I can stop rooting for the Jets... but I can definitely tune them out of be emotionally involved in the team.

Right now i definitely don't care if they win or lose right now game to game, probably even prefer a loss so we can draft better prospects.

9. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I stopped following the Knicks when Ewing left. I stopped watching the NBA entirely when the game devolved into they way the game is played today. I don't miss it at all.

As for the Jets, they are unwatchable this year so instead I have become a huge fan of the NFL red zone and haven't watched more than 10 min of any Jets game. If Woody/Chris don't do the right thing this off-season I will be giving up my season tickets after 24 years and continue to watch the NFL red zone or a marquee match up if there is one on that weekend. I don't have to root for a team to enjoy football but I'd prefer the Jets to be competitive and make the playoffs.

Cman68 and K'OB like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

As a UK based fan, it will probably be easier than for you lot based in America, we get no news of it in the papers or the radio/TV etc but generally, you're a fan for life.

No Jets means no NFL for me.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

K'OB likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Redzone is an amazing thing really, it is just action after action after action etc, when I had SKY TV I used to put the RedZone on for the later games and watch until my eyes couldn't stay open lol

Way better than a live game really and certainly this season for us.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is spot on, my wife of 25 years would always ask me what time are the Jets on? She would go shopping, hang out with her friends or lounge with me and watch the game.

Now I simply tell her the game is not worth watching and we do something else, the only downside of not watching them is not being able to see the young kids develop, I want to see Mims, Zuniga, Bechton..etc

If Jets leave NJ then I will for sure have to find another team to root for.

Jets81 likes this.
  14. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

That’s exactly why they keep the name “New York” despite having very little physical ties to the state. I live in NJ so I can’t complain. I prefer the stadium being a drive or train ride away. This was years ago but what was the issue that they didn’t want to put the team on the west side of Manhattan? I remember there was a lot of opposition to it in NY from a political standpoint. If that’s the case how can fans from NY get mad when Woody wanted to move them back to NY and he got pushback?

15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

If I weren’t a Jets fan, I’d just be an NFL fan. I couldn’t have the same passion/enthusiasm for another franchise. It just wouldn’t work. 24 years of being a fan for 1 team isn’t something you can just turn on/off.

Having said that, I hate the Jets.

Go Jets...

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  16. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Be serious :p I still feel like this is nothing compared to the Steve Gutman days (look him up). Maybe it's because I am beaten into submission, but in reality the league is structured differently. You can turn it around quickly, and going from worst to .500 isn't too hard at all. Gase has not been here two years yet, and will not make two years. Hang in there.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

It worked out for the Jet fans as a whole. Yea being from Queens it's easy just natural for me to want a stadium in Queens even share a stadium with the Mets etc all I care lol or Manhattan like the Knicks but then I ask myself, what about our passionate Jet fans and Jet families in NJ? I know I wouldn't like it if we became called the NJ Jets after already playing in New Jersey. I'd feel lost as an NY fan. I'd feel like i like our roots. I wouldn't love NFL football anymore. I'd hate it. And I'm sure that NJ Natives diehard Jet fans would feel lost if the Jets bolted for NY like the Nets just left for Brooklyn too.

18. Quinnenthebeast

I appreciate the concern for us fans in NJ. It’s nice having a pro sports venue to go outside of the Devils (and Redbulls) where we don’t have to leave the state. I did drop the Nets when they moved to Brooklyn not because of the geographic change but for various reasons. They tore down the team, they didn’t seem to care about NJ anymore with the new “rebranding” of being a Brooklyn team. I imagine that’s how Islander fans felt when they were also moved to Barclays as well.

As far as the Jets are concerned if they moved anywhere within the NY metro area it would be fine by me but if they left the area then I would be done. A big part of my fandom is rooting for the local team and I believe one of the few legitimate excuses where you can end your fandom is if the team moves. Idk who I would choose to root for it that’s the case. It might be no team like I am with basketball. I doubt the team relocating would ever happen so I haven’t thought much about it.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I wish y'all just stop with the "I'm moving to Canada if Trump gets elected". "I done with the Jets if Gase ain't fired".

Ain't no one moving to Canada. Ain't no one ditching the Jets.

For life baby!

20. Quinnenthebeast

Does moving to Canada and becoming a Winnipeg Jets fan count?