How hard would it be to no longer be a jet fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sack exchange, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Many of us long time die hards have had enough! Especially with Gase. The last 5 years have been hard to be part of. We are weary. That said a lot of have mentioned of Gase is retained, we are out. Johnson’s incompetence is a one to drive anyone away. I was thinking how I would do that, and how it would feel. Would it be like breaking up with girlfriend you loved? Would I miss watching? Would I root for different team? Would I come back if things change in right direction. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I never buy it when sports talking heads pretend that they are no longer fans if any team. I think it’s very hard to shut down that inner part of your childhood and stop being a fan. You may not be a Jets fan, but they ALWAYS suck you back in. ALWAYS.

K'OB, Jetsfansince95, azhar80 and 3 others like this.
  3. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

For me I am a fan for life win or lose. It sucks but I can't root for another team. As I get older I realize the chances of them winning a Super Bowl in my lifetime get less and less. For me it will always be Jets, Isles, and Yanks.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I already stopped being a Knicks fan once the Phil Jackson experiment failed. The Jets will be harder because I'm much more into football than basketball, but I don't have an unlimited tolerance for stupidity.

NYJetsO12, Cman68, azhar80 and 2 others like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When I say that I'm done if Gase remains as the HC, what I mean is I will stop following them until he's gone. I may even extend that hiatus as long as the Johnson Clowns remain as owners because if they do decide to keep Gase it will prove beyond any doubt that they could fuck up anything.

As to rooting for a new team, I won't. I'll be pretty much done with football at that point. The game has changed - for the worse - since I started watching it almomst six decades ago. I know the younger fans probably love it, but for me the ever increasing micromanaging by the coaches, and the slow pace, taking over 3 hours to play 60 minutes, and the obvious ways in which the NFL rigs outcomes to suit its marketing purposes, just make it almost unwatchable. I won't really miss it at all.

Brook!, NYJetsO12, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Yeah, I see your point. My bucket list has go to Super Bowl when jets play in one! In 83, the md bowl, I was in high school, so that’s when I made it on m my bucket list. In 86, I thought it was year, we were 10-1, but had injuries, but still had our chance but lost to Cleveland in double OT. Not sure I had enough $$ to go then. Lol. I had my heart set in 1998, would have tried my best to go, and in 2004, I even went to Pitt to watch the game, heartbreaking to be jet fan in that crowd. We should have won. Then in 2009 and 2010, I actually bought the airline tickets both years, and would have gone if we were in it. But Sanchez fumbles and return for TD, on 3rd and 18, less than 2 min left in half. The last 5 years have been the worst torture in my jet fandom. No fun anymore. Not even a Rex to make me laugh. Well that said the way things look now, it will take at least 5 yrs. to get there... lol. My bucket list item not looking good right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brook! likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I suppose it would be easier to quit after moving away from the NYC area.

Local bars elsewhere would be less likely to show the Jet games.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I could never switch teams. The Jets are my football team. BUT I would be forced to care less as they have already made me do in 2020 for my own health. You have to treat it differently. Expectations at 0. Don't waste your time watching press conferences or pre-game/post-game. It takes the joy and fun out of it though. Don't buy any team gear. I normally buy a hat and shirt at least each season. Can't justify it this year. I am a Yankees fan. I am a Capitals fan, but the Jets have always been my #1 team. It just can't be the same as it used to be. Even with a new Head Coach. They burned me out the last few seasons, especially if they give up on Sam.

9. Id stop watching before id pick a different team unless an expansion team came along i somehow identified with.

Even w the whalers leaving Hartford nearly 25 yrs ago i still cant 100% commit myself to a different NHL team Though i do consider myself an Isles fan. The teams we pick as children are for life

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

The only way we'd ever quit on the Jets is if they moved us to say Oklahoma and we became the Oklahoma Jets. And from there we'd quit on NFL all together. We never quit after a 1-15 1996 disaster. We never quit after 1998's AFCCG heartbreaker @ Denver after not making it that far dating back to 1969. We never quit after back to back AFCCG loses of 2009 and 2010 and we never even quit on the Jets when they left Queens for another state of NEW JERSEY either; due to keeping our name and roots of NEW YORK in the team name (and yes a lot of us would straight up quit if they ever renamed us the NJ Jets because we'd be losing our DNA, our roots and our identify).

Like it or not. The Jets are like our spouse who we deeply love since childhood and will continue to love until we die. No matter how many times we get frustrated and threaten divorce deep down inside we'll never truly leave because we love them until death do us part due to being a piece of our heart. As fans we are married to the Jets and that'll never change; unless they moved us far away to Oklahoma or Mississippi etc.

No matter how bad we dislike Gase we'll never absolutely quit on this Franchise. Gase isn't worth it. Trust me when I say.... Gase isn't worth it.

This past game against Miami was the first game I intentionally didn't watch. And afterwards I apologized to my daughter because I felt guilty and at only 9 years old she was super confused why her dad wasn't watching the Jets on Sunday with her uncle (my older brother). The only days me and my older brother link up and hang out are on Sunday's for the Jets. I'm 35 and he recently turned 50. I've been in Florida since I were a teenager but even in Queens down in the basement I always watched Jet and Knick games with him throughout the 90s. My brother called me after the game on Sunday and told me little bro, win or lose, watching the Jets without you wasn't the same. He told me he had no one to vent to during the game and felt lonely watching the game without me. He told me win or lose his favorite part about the Jets is being able to BBQ together, yell at the TV and more importantly spend time with his little brother. He told me ever since we were kids he always wanted the Jets to win for me more than himself and that growing up during years he knew we'd never win he never had the heart to quit on our Jets and ordering us pizza and wings just to catch a ball game together and it's crazy because I've always felt the same I've always wanted to celebrate a Jets SB more for my older brother than for myself because I grew up idolizing him as a man and always wanted to be just like him growing up so when he called me over the phone to tell me all of that on Sunday night he didn't know it but I became emotional and wanted to cry I really love that man. I realized when I refused to intentionally miss last week's game? I wasn't just quitting on Gase I was quitting on family and my childhood of Queens down in the basement and felt guilty having to explain to my wife and especially daughter why I wasn't watching last week's game. And I felt extremely guilty knowing I left my older brother to BBQ and watch the Jets lose without me. He didn't deserve that because as my older brother he never did that to me. Even the day his daughter my niece was born (years before I became a father myself) he had me come to the hospital room and we watched the game on my phone with him and he thanked me for teaching him how to love as a father figure before he ever became a father himself and gave me a hug I'll never forget I've never once forgotten those words.

I'll never allow Gase to make me miss another Jets game again. Ever. I've truly had a passion for Jets football before Gase ever arrived and I'll never let him take that from me again. I'm glad I boycotted last Sunday's game because I felt bad in doing so and taught me a lesson to never do it again. I don't think I'd be able to forgive myself if the Jets ever had a SB winning season and I wasn't there to hug and celebrate next to my older brother my lifelong hero. Na. Gase isn't worth it and it'll never happen again. That's my promise to myself.

If we haven't quit on the Jets before? Face it, we'll never quit. Lock and dump this thread because it's a stupid idea and moot point question because it's never going to happen.

#10 DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    NYJalltheway, Brook!, azhar80 and 2 others like this.
  11. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I was just about to post how I would never stop rooting for the Jets and then saw this post. Yes, if the Jets moved far enough away from the NY area I could no longer root for them. Over the years, there have been speculative articles about someone buying the Jets and moving them away from NY, and I'm like "please God, make it happen!" Nevertheless, as long as they are the New York Jets, I'm a fan.

12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Even if I could switch off and try to forget about the Jets all it would take would be a good season. Oh, the Jets are 9-2 and look really good. They might go all the way. And I'd watch, out of curiosity with all good intentions not to get sucked in, but they'd win and I'd watch the next week too. And they'd lose a close one. But then it was a close one, this might be the year. After all the misery I can't miss the chance of it being the year. And the I'm invested again. It's how addictions work.

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be difficult because I've been teetering on the edge of quitting on them for years already. I'd just stop paying attention for the most part and pick a secondary team to root for consistently. Would probably come back to the Jets if they showed they can be an actual competent NFL team but I've had false hope way too many times so I'd have to be very convinced they had turned a corner.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

What if something more realistic happened. Like, we were renamed the NJ Jets?

That would personally be the final straw for me. That would be like my wife leaving me for another man and changing her last name (mine) to his while we were still technically married. Nope. Couldn't deal with it.

Nothing against NJ but Queens NY and Jamaica hospital is on my birth certificate. The name NEW YORK Jets is the only thing many of us have left to hold onto as a reminder of our begining roots.

I couldn't imagine the NJ Jets. I'd feel no longer welcomed. I couldn't imagine joining a NY Giants forum (their version of TGG/JN/JI etc) and beginning to try and learn about their Franchise. Roster. History. Etc. And trying to explain to them how I'm now a "die hard Giants fan" while getting laughed @ by those guys. Nope. I couldn't imagine posting under the user name "BigBlue85". Not happening. I'd quit on the NFL.

I've been a fan of the Rays since I were just a teenager after moving to FL. I was never really into baseball or hockey as a kid in NY. It was always the Jets and Knicks for me. So I adopted the Rays as my baseball team once moving to the same street (16th St) that the Rays play on here in Saint Petersburg but deep down inside I know I'm an outsider and don't really belong. I don't like any of their fake fans who love the Buccaneers. I hate the Bucs because of their fans alone. Is what I'm trying to say is that I don't have a love for them as I do with my Jets and Knicks. My two childhood teams. I enjoy following them throughout the season yea but I don't follow their drafts or read about them everyday. I even tried to post on TB Rays message boards many of years ago but that didn't last too lost because I couldn't stand their fans who I thought were absolutely clueless about everything etc. Yes. I'll have fun watching them hopefully beat the Dodgers in the WS but deep down inside I know it'll be nothing like if the Jets or Knicks won a ring. I can't even convince my older brother to catch a Rays game with me as he refuses to root for anything FL related the more I think about it the more I feel if the Rays win it all this year; 2020 might become my last year following baseball I'm just not crazed over baseball like I am my Jets and Knicks (only God knows how much I miss the days of Starks, Mason, Oakley and Ewing). I'd really love to see a Rays W.S but on a scale of 1-10 excitement wise I'll give it a 1 because it'll fair in comparison to how I'd go ape shit over a Knicks or especially Jets Championship. If I die I don't want to say the only time I celebrated a sports team was the Rays come on I'm born in NEW YORK dear lord give me a Jets SB and let the Rays just give me a sneak peek!

But yes. The only way me and my older brother could walk away from the Jets is if we had a name change from NY to something else and football would become dead to me. But Adam Gase isn't enough to chase us away. He's just not worth it.

Brook! and azhar80 like this.
  15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This year with Gase is interesting, in the short term many of us are rooting for the Jets to lose. Does that mean we are no longer fans? Or that we are just trying to get to the future a little faster and secure a high pick? Either way it feels weird and wrong rooting against the Jets. I still feel compelled to watch each and every play and then read every article afterwards. So I guess I am still a fan. I expect and hope that my rooting for the Jets will outlive Gase's tenure and hopefully Woody's as well. I am a fan for life Gase is only temporary.

#15 Noam, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Brook! and azhar80 like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Whenever I'm down I remember the Detroits of the league. This has been a rough patch but I have seen more success than some teams.

But it does feel like one day the Johnson's mugged us and stole our favorite team.

That what being a true Jet fan feels like - a mugging victim.

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Give me one more year of Gase and it wont be hard at all....Ill stop being a fan without a second thought.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think rooting for the Jets to lose this season mean we aren't fans. Ultimately, we all want to see the Jets become long-term winners, and it's entirely plausible to think that tanking for Trevor is the best way to get there.

Brook!, REVISion, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  19. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

Try living in Tampa and your family are Buc fans.

onefanjet likes this.
  20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

When I moved to N.C. in 2002, I gave up on the dreadful Islanders and went all in on the Hurricanes and never looked back. Is a part of me still an Isles fan? Sure, but head to head I will choose the Canes every time. If the Islanders are doing well in playoffs I will pull for them still but I do not consider myself a “fan”. I still cherish the memories of 4 straight cups, I was devastated when the lost to Oilers in fifth SCF.

If Gase is not fired, I am done. I will go all in on the Panthers and not look back. If Jets ever get their shit together I would root for them but I will not be vested in them anymore. I will not cherish my time as Jets fan as I do the Isles.