Would you trade up for Lawrence?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ukjetsfan, Oct 22, 2020.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of good discussion on here on whether or not the Jets should consider trading the overall No. 1 pick (if they get it) for a boatload of picks to build around Darnold. I was wondering what people think about it from the opposite direction.

If we finish with the second or third pick, for example, would you be in favour of putting together a package to move up to the top spot? With two first round picks in the next two seasons we would have the ammunition it would take, but it would be a very different proposition to get Lawrence without the extra first-round picks to build around him.

So would you trade up? Is Lawrence that good and that much of a sure thing? And how much would you give up?

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No, with how much of nothing is on this roster. It ended up being a mistake with Darnold and it would be a mistake here

Vida, TwoHeadedMonster and ouchy like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

No way. We’d empty the cupboard even more than it’s already been emptied. It makes a million times more sense to take a WR with whatever pick we get and build out the rest of the roster with the picks we’d have to give up.

4. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That’s the way I’m leaning as well - it would likely cost so much just to move up a couple of spots. But I know there are people who say Lawrence is THAT good.

To play devil’s advocate - would a solid free agency influx be enough to build around Lawrence?

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No. We need to lose and get the #1 pick.

If we don't, I would not be happy trading the entire farm for Lawrence.

Vida likes this.
  6. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Trade ups in early 1st round have not worked out recently (Wentz, tribisky, rg3). But if they sure (can’t miss) Lawrence is the great QB we have not had in over 40 yrs (Peyton, Brady) must pull the trigger. But personally I would not, we have lots of holes to fill on the roster and don’t think Lawrence is can’t miss prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Sack exchange, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I’d probably look into Trey Lance or Justin Fields unless Darnold proves he’s the long term answer

I like Darnold and think he’d be fine in a good situation but there’s a huge money difference between rookie QB and what Darnold will probably get...”Fine” wouldn’t be enough for me

Vida and FJF like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we 'trade the farm' so to speak, then I think we're damning TL to the same fate as SD. A good QB playing on a terrible team, with no way to improve the situation.

Sam is going to do everything he can to put the Jets into this exact situation. And if JD choses to 'trade the farm', then the Jets are the LAST team Sam (or any QB) will want to play on.

Just curious: If the draft is on, the first pick is about to be announced (Jets move up to top spot), can TL say "Good luck with that, I'm out. C'ya next year"?

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's sort of mixed results as of recently. How has Wentz not worked out though? If he doesn't get hurt he wins the MVP in 2017. The Eagles won that trade.

The Titans/Rams trade for Goff is one of those weird deals that worked out decently for both sides. The Rams have went to a SB and the Titans have found their FQB and are perennial contenders.

Two of these look like good trades, two look like bad trades.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ninern...aft-brief-history-trade-ups-quarterbacks/amp/
    The Trubisky was a bad deal that had nothing to do with the player they selected. The Bears bid against themselves when there were no other takers and got duped by the 49ers. And they took him over Mahomes and Watson.

I would not trade up for Lawrence. The price tag will be too steep.

REVISion and Sack exchange like this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s extremely unlikely that any of the teams in contention would trade the pick.

The only way would be the Bengals getting the first pick and us the 2nd and they still really want to be in position to draft Sewell.

Every other team would take Lawrence themselves.

FJF, NCJetsfan and Sack exchange like this.
  11. Sack exchange

Yeah, I agree some mixed results, although I don’t see Wentz or Goff at the Brady/Peyton Le’Veon, but they are franchise QBs for sure. My point is I would not trade up unless I thought Lawrence was Brady/peyton type.

12. Sack exchange

Would Giants take him? Cowboys? Chargers? Good question. Jags, certainly would.

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. The Jets need help on both sides of the ball. The one good thing JD has done is he has acquired a lot of picks including multiple 1st Rd picks. If the Jets are going to move on from Darnold then hopefully we get the #1 pick draft Lawrence and use the other picks to build the team around him.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

If the Jets fall short of the #1, from all indications, they're going to build with Sam. The idea that they would trade up makes no sense based on all the draft picks and cap room they'll have. They have been wheeling and dealing of late to trim their payroll. Plus the fact that they have like 20+ players on the roster with only one year contracts ( not exactly sure of the number). JD looks to be planning on doing some heavy FA signings in 2021.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I mean it should be considered, right? You are telling me if they finish with the no.1 overall pick they absolutely have to take Lawrence. But if they finish with the no.2 or no. 3 overall pick, Sam Darnold deserves a chance and you build around him. Talk about a low bar right there. Just get us 3 wins and you keep your job

The Dark Knight and ukjetsfan like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

you chose 3 random examples just so you can declare 1st round trade ups as not working.

Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, recent 1st round trade ups you might have heard of. Possibly the 3 best QBs in the league. 2 of the top 3 anyway. It works, just gotta pick the right guy

17. Sack exchange

Of course sometimes it works out, but when it does not it is 100 times worse. You draft a QB that doesn’t work out plus you gave up valuable draft capital.

Brings up good point, should we have stood pat, and took Allen? That way we would have had several high 2nds to address the OL, WR. In hindsight that would have been best plan... but Allen with Shitshow Gase probably would not have worked out any better. We gave up a lot of draft capital to get Darnold. Only 3 yrs later we might be in same situation. Good teams trade up because they love the player, chiefs and ravens are good teams, they had chance to get that player and went for it, did the teams that traded with, make out? Not sure, but I am sure they thought they had their franchise QB in house. But Mahomes arguably best QB in NFL. Personally since prospect analysis is in exact science, I would stand pat and draft BPA if we don’t have #1 pick.

Teams like KC, BALT, PITT, NE are well run teams, as it stands, they probably rarely get top 10-15 pick. The trades where the teams traded down with them, give them the chance to get a franchise QB. Otherwise they would never get a chance to draft top QB and have to get “lucky” later in draft.

#17 Sack exchange, Oct 22, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  18. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I think you are pointing out an inconsistency in people who would take TL #1 (instead of trading) if they had the pick but would not trade for the #1 pick.

The fact that a person would not trade for the #1 pick indicates that one values the picks more than TL.

But when you have the #1 pick and take TL, then you value TL more than the draft picks you could get.

The consistent approach is to prefer trade of your #1 and prefer not trade for the other guys #1.
    Or keep your #1 and trade for the other guys #1 if you can.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Giants absolutely, Cowboys absolutely although I doubt they get the pick, Chargers wouldn’t but they are also very unlikely, of course the Jags would and Football Team as well as Vikings and Falcons.

So basically the only teams that wouldn’t take him are the Chargers & Bengals who are both unlikely to get that spot.

Realistically at this point this is down to the Jets, Jags, WFT and Giants.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Torn on this. I'm as high on Lawrence as anyone but I'd lean no.

We just need to lose out so we don't have to worry about this scenario. We have so many early picks that we can build around Lawrence very well if we can draft him at #1.

NCJetsfan likes this.