1st pick haul

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hornblower, Oct 19, 2020.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

I make it a point to watch every Trevor Lawrence game and it's not stats that I love. It's how he plays the position. He's flawless.

And Mahomes put up those numbers in a crapfest defensive conference where every QB puts up big time #s.

And give me a break about the talent BS. Clemson was up 49-0 @ the half.

Clemson benched Trevor the entire 2nd half and during the 3rd and 4th Qs because of 49-0 @ the half.

Clemson's backup couldn't put up a single point. He looked horrible. Couldn't even pick up first downs without Trevor in @ QB

and the game ended 49-0.

THAT IS HOW IMPACTFUL TREVOR IS.

Clemson's offense looked like crap without him.

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Ya--I just confirmed this. Highly unlikely, I agree. Thx.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

1-5 throughout 6 games? 1-5? Wow. What is going on in Minnesota?!?!?

Speaking of the Vikings. Dalvin Cook is an upcoming Free Agent RB. And I want him a Jet too.

I'm an FSU fan and I flipped a head gasket when Macc drafted MARCUS MAYE instead of Dalvin Cook only to watch my boy Cook get drafted immediately thereafter I've honestly truthfully low-key disliked Marcus Maye ever since.

Passing on an offensive game breaking machine in #4 for a mediocre to average @ best Safety in Maye still bothers me to this day.

Lawrence. QB.
    Becton. LT.
    Mims. WR.
    DALVIN COOK. RB.

Sign me the fk up already!

IDFjet likes this.
  4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

No haul is worth a generational QB.

REVISion, NCJetsfan and grkmanga31 like this.
  5. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Lawrence. QB.
    Becton. LT.
    Mims. WR.
    DALVIN COOK. RB.

You're an eternal optimist bro--I'm expecting more like

Morgan/White QB
    Fant LT
    Vyncent Smith WR
    Perine RB

and Ray Handley as head coach.

6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yes.... that detail is coming back to me now after all these years.

The fact that Luck basically ran an NFL offense in college was a factor that put him at platinum level scouting wise because in addition to all his viewable and in some cases measurable physical attributes the "yeah but can he run an NFL offense" variable was completely removed out of the equation. Everybody knew exactly what he was capable of and to be honest looking at his career and how it turned out as good as he was you almost have to say it worked out fairly badly. Even though, like probably Darnold, it was really no fault of his own at all. He just got his ass pounded..... repeatedly.... for years.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the effectiveness of this particular example.

During Pace's tenure in the NFL (1997-2009), the Jets had the following LTs:
    Jumbo Elliot 1997-1999
    Jason Fabini 2000-2004 (Jets' Four Decade All-Time Team member, Jets allowed the fewest sacks in the league in 2000)
    Adrian Jones 2005 (God help us all)
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson 2006-2015

Other than 2005, I think I'm okay with missing out on Pace.

This haul brought some duds, but James Farrior, Leon Johnson, Dedric Ward, and Jason Ferguson all came directly from this trade and made significant contributions to the Parcells/Groh/Edwards eras.
    The better trade would have been if we stopped after Trade #1, which left us with #6 overall, which is where Walter Jones was selected. Walter Jones was better than two we got for him (Farrior/Leon Johnson) combined.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

If we get the number one pick we take TL. If we get number two we trade down maybe one spot so we get that monster LT and set up Darnold or whomever is our QB. Build the OL and the offense will follow.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Holy smokes! You make DarthVader look like a brightsider! LOL

Why would we have Fant at LT when we have Becton? Why would we have Morgan/White at QB? If Lawrence refuses to sign with us, Douglas could still trade down and take Fields or Trey Lance.

10. Pepsiguy5

My opinion is that if you NEED a quarterback that is absolutely true.

My problem with this Lawrence-mania is that I kind of believe that QB is one of the very few (and as we see all every Sunday I mean VERY few) things the Jets actually are pretty well set on.

Is it possible you could draft Lawrence, absolutely hit gold, and go on to some Super Bowl run of domination? Sure I guess so. Is that likely? Probably not. Is he better than Darnold? Probably a little. Enough of a difference to actually make a difference? Possible.... but I'm very skeptical.

I reserve the right to change my mind and be completely wrong and all that :) But right now I think the Jets would be better off with "the haul"

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

First things first, let's just make sure we get the #1 pick. Don't F that up Jets.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They will. I think they have 2-4 wins left on the schedule.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  13. JetsNation06

Wouldn't surprise me but I really hope not.

14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I'm OK with trading the #1 if we "earn" it. I just don't think this team is capable of drafting and grooming a franchise QB. Who was the last successful QB we drafted? Pennington? O'Brien? Namath? Were those guys franchise QBs? Sure, Namath won a SB, but a look at his overall numbers and his winning percentage as a Jet is not pretty.

We've spent high picks on Sanchez, Geno, and now Darnold and they've all stunk. Part of that is on them, part is lousy coaching, part is organizational ineptitude, and part in unrealistic expectations and pressure from fans and the NY media. Losing those picks, and the picks we gave up to get them, has set us further back. I think we should give up on the franchise QB idea, focus on accumulating draft picks, and sign veteran QBs. We can't keep making the same mistakes over and over.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other thing to remember is that the Colts went all-in on Manning.

They had a great back in Marshall Faulk and when Faulk got unhappy with the way the team was using him in Manning's rookie season they traded him without blinking an eye. Then they immediately drafted a round 1 back in Edgerrin James because they knew they needed the great back to get the most out of Manning. However they needed one who was down with the program and would let Peyton lead instead of trying to co-lead along side him.

Then they had Marvin Harrison, a great receiver, who was drawing too much attention from opposing defenses so the next year they spent a #1 pick to get Reggie Wayne to take some pressure off of Peyton and Harrison.

That's how they built that offense. A bunch of #1 picks made to ensure their franchise QB could succeed.

The Jets traded 3 high 2nds to get Darnold and then abandoned him on the field.

16. JetsNation06

Dilger, Pollard, haven't heard some of those names in ages damn.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

In 2019 these were Sam's league rankings in the following stats:

Yards per attempt:
    32nd

QB rating:
    32nd

Completion percentage:
    30th

Interceptions:
    Tied for 6th worst (and that was while playing 3 fewer games than most QB's)

Passing TD's
    30th

Yeah we're totally set at QB.

18. Pepsiguy5

Well... not to quibble but I would say anybody who watched any of the games in 2019 would agree you can pretty much throw those results right into the trash bin (from a QB analysis perspective) . Plug any quarterback in league history you want into that mess and I think the results would be very similiar.

Your right though.... results have not only not been good, they've been horrible so far.

blackssmagic likes this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I disagree with that because Sam was even worse the year before with different coaches. Sam also had a guy (Anderson) who is the 2nd leading receiver in the league this year.

Sam is a terrible QB. I wanted him to be good but he's not. He's awful. Passing up the best QB prospect since Luck because of him would be absolutely insane.

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the man’s thinking was along the lines of, ‘because Jets’.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.