Dump on the Jets continues - Roddy White telling Lawerence to stay in school to avoid the Jets.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Oct 21, 2020.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

This is why a made a point on another thread arguing the merits of, at the least, looking good when you lose. If the Jets look bad losing , it just becomes a poop show and gives the impression that this org is so fu%ked up and incompetent enough that players don't want to come here. Please don't trade Sam unless you are assured that Trevor is in your back pocket.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

1. Regardless of what precedent was set, and actually Elway set the precedent of influencing where your drafted, the narrative that Peyton returned to school to avoid the jets is patently false.
    2. Chad was a good qb. Not sure how much more could have been done with him. Coaching gets credit for that, to say it doesn’t is to discredit all coaching. As for Sanchez, he was mediocre and yet this franchise was still able to make him an with the most road playoff wins( until Brady finally passed him) . That’s maximizing a players talent, that flys in the face of the “jets don’t handle qbs right” narrative. They may pick the wrong ones , particularly outside of round 1 but when they use a first they typically have success.
    3. No matter how you try to spin it. JD used his first 2 picks of his only draft on offense. That’s the only evidence we have into his drafting philosophy. There’s nothing to support the defense first narrative. Nothing.

3. BomberJet

This ^. It's a fine line though. Do you wait til the off season to can him and hope that Trevor doesn't make up his mind before then? Trevor has to commit at some point but I hope he's smart enough to at least wait for spell. There' no rush, is there?

ouchy likes this.
  4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

I'm curious how many players in the first round have refused to go to a team they were drafted to since Peyton, and never played for that team? It's not a lot and could probably be counted on one hand. And this is going back 23 years so the probability of that happening is extremely small.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. BomberJet

Just occurred to me that Roddy's former team, the Falcons, may have a shot at Trevor also. A sly, crude way to make a pitch for dumping on the Jets, Yeah real sneaky ass.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I get the reasoning behind this narrative, but it still baffles me why this remains the narrative with a new GM in place who focused heavily on the offensive side of the ball?

Yes, there may have been a few more moves Douglas should have made for weapons, but Trevor Lawrence will not be walking into a situation with Idzik or Mac at the helm. He is walking into a franchise that just drafted a LT in the first round. A franchise that just used a high pick on a WR. A GM who just spent a good amount of money and effort completely revamping the offensive line. This is not the previous regime who simply focused on the defense and blatantly ignored the offense.

My opinion is Gase will be fired at the end of the season or towards the end of the season. Douglas will hire a better and more experienced head coach with a winning background and ability to coach both sides of the ball. He will enter free agency with a ton of money and he will enter the draft with 9 other picks, 3 of which are in the first two rounds. I fully expect us to spend a large amount of money on offensive weapons and to draft heavily on the offensive side of the ball.

I have said it numerous times and I will say it again, this franchise can come back rather quickly with the right head coach and the right mindset. Trevor Lawrence needs to remain our top priority.

7. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

He can't, he's only on an equal level to Gase due to our stupid set-up.

Chris johnson or Woody are the only ones that can pull the trigger.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. DefenseWinsChampionships

Is White going to take care of Trevor's family if he goes back to school and sufferers a career ending injury and never makes the league?

Is White going to buy Trevor's mom a brand new home?

Is White going to buy Trevor's future Wife wedding bands and pay for their honeymoon?

Is White going to buy Trevor his favorite childhood dream car?

Is White going to pay for the schooling and education of Trevor's future children?

Is White going to pay Trevor MILLIONS per year within the form of a 9-5 salary?

Etc. Etc.

If the answer is no? People like White need to STFU and stop advising innocent college kids to "stay in school" instead of letting them live out their football dream of being drafted #1 overall.

People like Roddy White disgust me.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

REVISion likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

A real leader will come into a losing situation and face the challenge.

A coward of a quitting loser will run away from a challenge.

Trevor is a winner. A competitor. He won't run away from being drafted #1 overall because he's not a coward.

REVISion and westiedog1 like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Chad sat his first season plus and learned behind Vinny before he started.

Mark never developed because he didn't put in the work to study and learn. This was made worse by Rex annoiting him a top QB and not expecting him to work hard. Rex was incapable of developing a QB and was ultimately a bad influence on Mark.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

elli was the last one I remember and that was like 16 years ago

JetsNation06 likes this.
  13. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Before Elway, there was ere a couple of defensive players:
    Tom Cousineau (LB, Ohio State) 1st overall pick by the Bills in 1978. Went to the CFL instead. Bills eventually traded his rights to the Browns--for the pick they used on JIM KELLY, who bailed on them for the USFL....
    Bruce Clark (DE, Penn State), 4th overall pick by the Packers in 1980, who wanted him to play NT. He refused to sign, and went to the CFL. Eventually came back and played DE for the Saints.

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

My point exactly. Just one and it was a Manning.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

And like his big brother Peyton, they come from a millionaire family so what did either one really have to lose? Nothing because their father is worth $10M alone without either one of his sons.

If my parents were worth $10M? I wouldn't be 35 and still working til this day lol and I definitely wouldn't pass up millions with the #1 pick while I was in my younger 20s just to go back to school lol nope not happening.

And it would become hilarious if he did return to school just for the Jets to pick first AGAIN the following off-season hah!

I've never rooted for an injury. However. If Trevor pulled this stunt in order to avoid playing for our Jets? Call me Gregg Williams JR! Because I would seriously wish he tore 2 ACL's and a career ending shoulder injury ON THE SAME PLAY just to teach future kids a lesson that you do not make a gamble you can not AFFORD to lose with Trevor Lawrence's face written all over it :)

16. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

17. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

1. The notion that Chad Pennington wasn't developed properly and didn't have enough support is false. When Pennington was brought in off the bench he performed brilliantly in the 12 games he started. You don't do that if you're not prepared. Pennington also had plenty of offensive support in Martin, Coles, Jordan, Chrebet and Richie Anderson. Pennington's problem was that he had a weak arm and opposing teams with good defenses were able to figure it out over time, and that's the main reason he wasn't as successful as we fans would have liked. I've always said that if Pennington had Peyton's arm, he would have been one of the greatest QB's ever because he had all the other QB qualities in spades.

2. Your assertions about Mark Sanchez' work ethic are unsubstantiated. The fact is he led the Jets to two consecutive AFC championships in his first two years says that he had enough talent and preparation to take a decent football team far into the playoffs. The mistake the Jets made was thinking he was good enough (a la Manning and Brady) to compensate for the lack of talent around him after the Jet FO allowed some key players to leave.

Brook! and FJF like this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This isn't realistic though. Nobody can control the game to a degree where they look good while also losing every game. If you actively try to do that you risk winning a couple games and the entire thing is for naught.

19. BomberJet

It sounds to me like you think the Jets don't want to win so they are throwing the games? I don't think any coach or owner in his right mind would tell the players to do that. The Jets are bad for a number of reasons, they don't have to purposely lose. I don't root for teams to look bad no matter what the end result would be. I still like Sam, we'll have to agree to disagree.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they're actively throwing the games. I don't think that's really possible over an entire season because players are playing for their roster spots/contracts and Gase is fighting to save his job. I do think Douglas is intentionally putting the team in a position to fail though with the roster moves. Both of our best players got let go in Bell and Adams.

My only point with my last post was to say that the notion of losing games to tank while also looking good enough so you don't scare away Lawrence is unrealistic.