Dump on the Jets continues - Roddy White telling Lawerence to stay in school to avoid the Jets.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Oct 21, 2020.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Roddy White telling Lawerence to stay in school to avoid the Jets.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/20/roddy-white-advising-trevor-lawrence-to-avoid-jets-in-nfl-draft/

I understand but seriously. Why can't the Jets get good things. It's awful. We all know how this will end. He'll pull a Manning. A. Go back to school. B. force us to trade him. Serioulsy Peyton hates the Jets. Screwed us in the 90's and now with Gase and because of that ineptness now with possibly getting Lawerence. If this happens I think it might be the straw that breaks the camels back. I might jump ship (I won't) but it'll be a hard pill to swallow.

Fun being a Jets fan.

Shea Jet likes this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

As opposed to what? Dodging the Jets and joining Jacksonville? First picks don't get an immediate great career move.

3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

He won't pull a Manning. Trust me on this. :)

barfolomew, jetstopgun and AJT73 like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I get so annoyed with how people view the Jets, but at the same time, they brought it on themselves with how pathetic they have been. Joe Douglas has a tough job of rebuilding the roster, finding the right Head Coach to lead the franchise forward, and gaining respect from others around the league. There is truly only one way to do that: Win.

5. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The jets deserve to be shit on given the last decade but people acting like the jets have been the only terrible team in the history of the NFL.

It's the trendy thing to do at this point but anyone thinking that the 2020 jets and future jet teams are one and the same are simply just hating. Joe Douglas is positioning this team to have excess draft picks within the next 2 drafts, have a ton of cap space, and right now I believe the jets would be a very attractive coaching destination if we land the first overall pick.

Trevor going back to school would be a risky move for him, and he would be kicking the can down the road and just get drafted to another shitty team. If he's smart and isn't scared of the challenge, he'll come out, get drafted by us, and help us rebuild the right way.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Are these articles going to be posted every time they come out?

As I said in the other thread, it is the same shit every time for whichever team has the first overall pick. Everyone comes out of the woodwork to express their opinion and tell the prospect to stay in school.

It's a dumb fuckin argument. I won't even get into the amount of money he will make in the NFL and the potential of injury if he stays in school and screws his career.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He won't stay in school, but the worry that going to the Jets would be disastrous for him is 10000% valid.

Jets79, NoodleArm, BomberJet and 2 others like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I doubt Lawrence will simply take the advice of one person, even a former NFL player, he has his own set of advisors who I'm sure carry more weight with him. That said, the point raised by White that the Jets have done a historically bad job of developing and supporting QBs is a valid one that just might resonate. Yes, all teams who "earn" the #1 pick are shitty, but not all are equally shitty. The Jets have yet to show they value QBs, and therefore don't develop and support them with good personnel. That might be enough to have Lawrence pass on the draft if the Jets have the first pick.

9. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Stay in school to avoid the Jets? And what if the Jets end up with the first overall pick next year - or he gets injured his senior year?

NCJetsfan, Vida, JetsFan and 6 others like this.
  10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I seriously hope Trev isn’t paying Roddy for this kind of advice.

BomberJet and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

People are not saying Lawrence shouldn't come to the Jets because we lose a lot of games or don't have a lot of talent like other teams who draft first. That is not the reason. They say don't come to the Jets because our management is so poor that it ruins careers. Also, not firing Gase is a slap in the face to every player in the locker room which is just more indication that our management makes the Jets the last place you want to sign.

Lawrence will be more powerful than any GM this offseason. He can do whatever he wants and make it work. People act like we have the power to decide - like we'd be willing to eat the massive haul of picks just to teach TL a lesson. Besides, if TL does come out and say he doesn't want to go to the Jets why would we draft him? Do we want a QB that doesn't want to be here?

The only indication we can send to TL now is to fire Gase ASAP as a show of support to our players.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing Eli on the Chargers or Elway on the Colts.

13. The Jets deserve this criticism bc its been true.They have chronically prioritized defense & just flat out missed on offensive players in the draft. Especially at skill positions.Theres been no plan,conviction or sense of solid infrastructure to turn it around beyond a junior high-esque mantra “ground & pound” from 10 yrs ago. The current state of this offensive system is pure shambles. But within that lies an opportunity for a blank canvass

That said,it shouldnt stop Lawrence from coming here. Too many reasons to accept coming here that shockingly outweigh all the bad

Jets79, Red Menace, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  14. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

TL already said he is coming out regardless

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Jets go 0-16

TL decides to return for his senior year
    JD:
    [​IMG]

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

White isn't wrong. This team has had below average to putrid offenses after the 2015 season. They don't know what to look for when taking skill position players. Certain teams can spot talent on days 2 and 3. Jets aren't one of them. This is why I've advocated for taking Chase in round 1 next year, but if we end up with the 1st pick, it'll have to be Lawrence.

17. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The talking heads are out in full force. Like I already said, it's much more likely for a star college QB to join the team that drafted him than not. Very few cases of that and the Mannings are kind of like the NFL royal family so consider that too.

In all likelihood, Lawrence will probably declare, get drafted #1 by us (hopefully) and arrive here. All of this other reactionary bullshit gets old and will get a lot older over the next 6 months. Try to block most of it if possible and think logically which can be very difficult as a Jets fan.

FJF likes this.
  18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

There’s a couple of false narratives in this thread. 1. Manning didn’t return to college to avoid the jets, he returned because he couldn’t get a guarantee the jets would take him. Parcells actually screwed the team over not Peyton. Peyton would have come out if he knew he was coming here.
    2. Developing qbs. The last 2 first round qbs the jets picked before Sam both had playoff success here. One was good enough but health issues curbed his success (Chad) and one was carried to more success than he probably should have seen (Mark)
    3. The Jets ignore offense, while that has happened in the past, past results have nothing to do with this gm who went back to back offensive picks in his first draft and made offensive line a priority.

NCJetsfan, Brook!, NoodleArm and 4 others like this.
  19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas needs to get rid of Gase....Gases influence is gonna ruin his carrer before it even gets started.

ouchy and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

A good, objective post. That said, let me respond to some things you left unsaid:

1. Yes it WAS Parcells and his massive ego that screwed the Jets, BUT...Manning's decision to return to school also hurt them, and set a precedent of players refusing to go to a team when they have another option.
    2. Neither Chad nor Sanchez were properly developed. Pennington happened to be a very smart and capable QB coming out of college and the Jets in fact didn't do much to improve on that. And Sanchez? Well, he really never improved from the mediocre QB he was, and that was made worse by the Jets allowing the talent around him to evaporate.
    3. Making the OL a priority IS a good start, but it's hardly proof that Douglas values offensive weapons. His gamble that he could get a top WR by not taking one earlier, and even trading back when there were several there that were drafted before he got his second pick argues the opposite. That said, I'm not saying that he's proven himself to be another "defense first, last and always" GM as we've had, but the jury is definitely still out.

BomberJet likes this.