A London Conspiracy

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Chrisiue, Oct 19, 2020.

1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

NFL would be last there I think. Heck I've read the NBA is big there popular in Europe.

The majority of people there don't like American football die hard soccer fans question why it's even called football.

Perhaps the NFL would be content with crumbs from the European market?

I don't think even the Johnsons are dumb enough to take a team out of the #1 tv market in the USA to go there.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  2. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Merthyr Town is the team for you they even play at The Met lol

Jets81 likes this.
  3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

How do we move the Johnson 1/2 of Met Life to London?:mad:

4. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

The Jets moving out of the area and renaming the team would be the absolute best scenario other then the Johnsons selling the team. We need a new owner and the whole organization should be destroyed and rebuilt. I hope the Jets do move. Any NFL franchise with revenue sharing will be worth plenty, this team might be worth more if it moved out of the area and to a good city that is financially well off. Like somewhere in Texas or maybe the Midwest. There are to many teams in the NYC area anyway. With the last 10 year do you really think the fanbase has grown at all?
    Ultimately I think NY is stuck with the dumpster fire of an organization and team called the NYJ. Unfortunately

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

7th Tier? Ouch.

Maybe I’ll follow teams in every other league starting from Championship down, because I want to follow that one and Premier the most.

K'OB likes this.
  6. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

There's always Newport County, too.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

They are becoming a good cup team last few seasons.

Another team that rebuilt itself after going bankrupt and starting again way down the football league pyramid.

When they went bust it saved my hometown team Carlisle Utd from relegation

8. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I know he's just a trust baby had had nothing to do with J&J but if they do move and rename the team I think they should name the team Band Aid.. hire a bunch of scab players (oh wait we already have those) and make the uniforms pink band aid colors.

[​IMG]

Jets1035 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I don't recall it like that. The year they went down Newport were probably the worst football league side I'd ever seen. They were definitely going down anyway and only one team went down then. I remember Carlisle struggling a bit in that era but not to that extent.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

11. K'OB

They definitely saved us we came 2nd bottom, there wasnt much between us.

87/88

And again when Aldershot went bust in 91/92

#51 K'OB, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  12. K'OB

Yes, a lot of people call the sport and the players for wearing 'armour' and the 3 hours to play a fucking 60 minute game is often also cited.

Leicester Jet likes this.
  13. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

People are more supprised about the knowlege of the sport and how long people have supported the teams.

NFL is more accessible to europeans than 15 years ago. Even the small things like highlights on facebook etc help with showing the casual viewer a glimpse of the game. Just like how we see cracking goals from all over the footy leagues.

Its also why when we choose a team we tend just to stay put and dig in. Football has a sense of tribalism across the UK and this generally crosses into different sports when we choose.

Part of me wishes sky sports didnt show as much of the Brett Farve jets as they did!

Its definatly less supprised and more intrigued or just dismissive. I have found.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Some do, some are dismissive, some interested. You do get the negative comparisons to rugby as they don't wear pads. However, the fact the the England captain of the Rugby World Cup winners is a 49ers fan helps shut those ones up a bit.:)

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  15. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Probably yes, even my children dont follow it. Having said that I have no interest in basketball, baseball or ice hockey, do you guys like cricket lol.

16. MoWilkBeast

There's a fair amount of interest in all US sports to be honest, but they are a niche market. I would say it is very similar to the popularity of soccer in the US. From a low level baseline of interest it has grown significantly but it is not mainstream and will probably never be.

17. MoWilkBeast

It seems my memory is a bit more accurate than yours. Carlisle did indeed finish 23rd but ended up with 19 points more than Newport, which was damn close to double their final points tally of 25! They were awful, as I recalled. They actually went bust following relegation and technically the following season. No doubt their financial problems were a factor in saving Carlisle as the Newport squad was mostly youth players, but it wasn't close at all really. Newport were nailed on for that relegation spot for virtually the entire season.

Can't recall exactly but I thought Aldershot went bust mid way through the season, so it's quite possible this did keep Carlisle up.

But I do seem to recall a Carlisle goalkeeper scoring a winning goal deep into injury time of the final game of the season that kept them up. Now that was an escape and a half!

K'OB likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The Exiles. I like that. They seem like they play up to their higher league opponents at times. Respectable.

donkey likes this.
  19. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Some people try and put it down but I quickly shut them up with a few facts about NFL salaries.

I think its becoimg more popular over here because of all the ways you can watch the games now. Back in the 80's you just got the couple of games that Channel 4 decided to screen, now with a decent comuter set up and fibre broadband you can stream any games for any team you want - including all the NCAA College games too.

20. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Problem is the bulk of games occur late night heading into the working week and that'll be after a full slate of Premier league games.

The biggest problem I see in NFL making the jump from peculiar spectacle to something that might beat the County Cricket in coverage is that it just isn't a mass participation sport.

At school we have our defaults of Football, Rugby and Cricket and even an occasional mix of Tennis, Volleyball, Rounders (Baseball-lite) and Basketball. I know at my local school they have a ton of Baseball hoops put up in the playground since my days attending there.