1st pick haul

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hornblower, Oct 19, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Douglas got him a shiny new LT for a decade. If Maccagnan were still around he would have taken another DT. If we didn't need a QB I would pair Becton with that big Oregon T Penai coming out this year.

tomdeb, barfolomew and REVISion like this.
  2. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

It's impossible to make this decision intelligently right now. It requires seeing what Sam looks like with Becton at LT, BP and Mims outside, and Crowder in the slot. I need to see what that looks like for at least 8 games. If Sam moves the team and puts up big numbers under those circumstance, then at the very least, I listen to offers for the pick and weigh them against what I can get for Sam. If Sam looks like shit, Its a no brainer ... pick Lawrence and get what you can get for Sam.

Nick Foles won a super bowl.
    Jimmy G came within a few plays of winning one.

I'm never in the camp of praying that some 20 year old kid who's never played an NFL down is needed to save the franchise. Especially on THIS team that needs help everywhere. Most of all, the decision would require major input from a competent NFL coach.

3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

What does a fan's revolt look like? GM's who listen to fans get fired.

barfolomew and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  4. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

There is NO WAY the Jets are trading the #1 overall pick (unless by some quirk TL says he's returning to Clemson or pulls an Elway/Manning to get away from the Jets). It's not happening. They are not passing on Lawrence.

Remember, the Johnsons felt "pressure" to trade up to draft Dwayne Robertson when they let Laverneus Cole leave. You think these guys can go against Serby, Myers, Cimini, Mehta, Joe & Evan, and all the folks at ESPN and NFLN who say you have to take Trevor ?

They're not passing on the kid.

BomberJet, NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He killed me also and is currently doing so again tbh, three seasons back is a long time ago when looking for production.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The majority of posters here said the exact same thing three years ago.

TwoHeadedMonster and hornblower like this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

No chance. Nobody in their right mind would make that deal. Even if it’s an RG3 type trade it’s a NO in a heart beat. Lawrence is the best prospect since Elway

JetsKickAss and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There is no comparing Darnold and Lawrence. Drafting Darnold was the right thing to do but he also had his fair share of concerns coming out of college. In a better organization he could've been a decent QB but Lawrence is on a different level as a prospect.

Someone here once said that QB's can be tractors or trailers. A trailer can be good with the right talent and coaches around him. Darnold was a trailer. Lawrence, Luck, Manning - those guys are tractors. They will make mediocre WR's look better and mediocre OC's look better.

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Hit them in the pockets. If season ticket sales go down that would get some attention. Marketing pays a big chunk of Johnson bank. Also not being shown nationally on TV. Cause we know locally the Jets aren't being watched. Maccagnan didn't listen to the fans and he still got canned. Nobody was screaming for the Jets to draft Hackenberg. So I'm thinking GM's get themselves fired not the fans.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

You want a first round haul? You take Trevor Lawrence; as he's an entire draft haul within himself.

He's on the Verge of 3 national championship games during his only 3 seasons.

As an FSU fan and a fan of the ACC? He's the best I've seen out of my conference. Ever.

Dan Marino was a couple of years before my time (while in college). Donovan McNabb was greatness too. Winston
    was awesome for us however he was turnover prone. Vick and Lamar Jackson were electric and exciting to watch. Philip Rivers was worthy of the top 5 pick but nothing like Trevor and the same fans who've killed Macc for passing on Watson @ Clemson are some of the same fans wanting to trade out of #1? For more picks? Fk no. That's crazy.

When it's all said and done. Trevor goes down as the greatest ACC QB of All Time! And the ACC is a storied conference.

Sorry Sam Darnold. I loved you coming out. But you're no Trevor Lawrence. You couldn't lead USC to a National Championship Game either. Like Winston; you were also turnover prone. And at times a turnover machine.

Trevor Lawrence is everything you want in a Franchise QB and he rarely ever turns the ball over. His arm is amazing too. His confidence is through the roof. He's one of the greatest NCAA QBs of all time.

0-16 or bust.

Why would anyone want a 1st pick haul, when Trevor is an ENTIRE DRAFT HAUL?!??!?

11. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

Just a thought for all the posters on here who think the best strategy is stripping the roster bare, and tanking for Trevor Lawrence ...
    Think of all the times a team did that, and then won the super bowl with that first pick.
    Go ahead ... rattle them off ... all the times it actually worked.
    I can think of twice in the last 40 years ... the Cowboys with Troy Aikman 1989 and the Colts withPeyton Manning 1998.

Maybe Lawrence will turn out to be Superman, but that doesn't seem to be the way smart, consistently successful organizations build a championship team.

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not often do I find myself agreeing with you, outside of being an FSU alumni myself, but this is spot on.

Lawrence is that good. And I hope to all hell that we get the first pick and take him. This could be our one saving grace after years and years of bullshit we've gone through

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes man. We've followed the ACC for a long time as FSU fans and never have we seen a kid as great as Trevor.

He's so good where he lost me a parlay ticket. Cpl weeks ago I had Clemson to win by 50.5. Guess what? Clemson was up 49-0 @ halftime. I thought I was going to win that game easily against a horrible team. Guess what? Clemson benches Trevor @ half with a 49-0 lead. The game ended 49-0 lol Clemson's #2 and #3 QBs couldn't even get a single TD. Couldn't even get first downs.

Trevor is THAT GOOD. 49-0 at the half. Sits 3rd and 4th Q and game ends 49-0.

Winston was awesome for us. As soon as he left for the NFL? Our FSU offense has never been the same. Clemson won't sniff a National Championship game for a while after Trevor. They looked horrible on offense without him man.

The same fans who killed Macc for passing on Watson? Are some of the same fans willing to trade the #1 pick in order to make whichever team drafts him automatic and instant draft day winners? Nah fk that!

I'm a fan of the ACC. I'll get rid of this USC hype machine in a NY minute for TREVOR LAWRENCE!

Falco21 likes this.
  14. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Finding it hard to believe it could ever get worse than 0-16 and what the point differential will end up being at the end of the season. Still in all, do not know when Sam Darnold became no good and not a franchise QB to be discarded like trash.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

When you're in your 3rd season but yet ranked as the 32nd dead last rated QB in QB Rating? You've got to go!!!

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  16. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

The jags may need one too and they have a lot of draft capital.

17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You're making a big mistake by lumping Lawrence in with Manning and Luck; there's a huge difference - one has never stepped foot on an NFL field. Comparing two guys. Darnold and Lawrence, finishing up their NCAA careers is perfectly legitimate but neither comes with a guarantee. What someone "can be" is yet to be seen and remains nothing more than opinion today.

18. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

Generational College QB

barfolomew and Ralebird like this.
  19. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

Yes but does Dallas want to pay Dak 40 Mill a year.

20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

This team has by far the least amount of positional talent in the NFL. You get as many future assets as possible. Trevor Lawrence alone wont save the Jets- its a team sport fellas

We are not just one QB away from a championship team. We could put Pat or Lamar on this team and they may equate to 2 wins a year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.