Burrow is why we need Lawrence

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 18, 2020.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Keyshawn is an idiot. Being a good player does not make you a good analyst.

Comparing Darnold to Lawrence is completely moronic. They are on totally different levels as prospects. Everyone knew Sam had turnover problems coming out of college.

In addition, the offense is going to look completely different next year because we have a ton of early picks and cap space. We'll also have a new coach next year.

Some people are saying Lawrence is the best QB prospect since Peyton. And at the very least he's the best one since Luck.

#61 REVISion, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Ray Lucas, NCJetsfan and JetsNation06 like this.
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Like I said on here last week Lawrence is way better than Darnold at the same point in their careers. Not close.

Also regarding Burrow, Lawrence was already a known commodity on the national stage before Burrow ever took a snap at LSU. Yes that's how long Lawrence has been backing it up for.

You always go with the most proven commodity especially one that's about to lead his team to 3 Natty title game appearances in 3 straight seasons.

3. JetsNation06

Yeah it's always comical when people want to compare prospects and say they're the same when they are not even remotely close.

Jets need to do the following:

-Clean house and get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Sam
    -Draft Lawrence obviously
    -Get a proven winning HC at either the pro or college level. Look what Matt Rhule's doing in Year 1. Putting Carolina on solid ground.
    -Use the draft picks to surround Lawrence with skill talent, OL and edge rusher.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As I thought, you are mistaken. Peyton Manning was drafted by a bad Colts team. They went 3-13 his rookie season. The very next season, they went 13-3. Do you seriously think Peyton had nothing to do with that?

Similarly, the Patriots went 5-11 Brady's rookie season where Drew Bledsoe was still the starter. In 2001 Mo Lewis knocked out Bledsoe in the Patriots 2nd game of the season. Brady took over and they went 11-5 and won the SB. Do you seriously think Brady had nothing to do with that?

You keep assuming that nothing on the team will change other than the QB. That's absurd. Mac is not the GM any longer. If Douglas has a brain at all, he will build around Lawrence. If not, then he should be fired.

Ray Lucas and REVISion like this.
  5. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I agree that they don’t know how to develop QB’s, but that doesn’t necessarily mean Darnold is the answer, either.

6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

This.

He came into a bad situation and regressed as a player. It is what it is.

If people believe Douglas is going to trot Lawrence out with the team we’re seeing on the field this season, then I don’t know what to say.

Ray Lucas and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

So you are saying they went 3-13 before him, then 3-13 with him? Meaning QB doesn't magically fix everything? They beefed up their o-line over 2 years of drafts. They got some young kid at RB who ran for an absurd 1,553 yards. The fact is, Manning benefited that second year from an absurd running game and o-line.

Do I think a QB only throwing for 2800 yards, 18 TDs and 12 INTs is the reason the Patriots went 11-3 in Brady's first season starting? No. I think having an extremely good RB and top tier defense did that.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Khan

Khan Active Member

Please don't misconstrue what I said as suggesting Sam is still the savior or whatever.

I simply disagree that Burrow doesn't have one of the better groups of playmakers in the entire AFC in spite of the O-line. Even AJ Green just showed some signs of life again.

As far as the premise of the thread goes, I am on board for Lawrence bringing a spark that Darnold clearly isn't capable of.

REVISion likes this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

as just a matter of logic, i see merit in the keep Sam argument (stockpilepicks, surround, develop)

and i see merit in the trevor argument (generational etc.)

in either case we need an organization that will build a team and get some effing talent at the skill positions (btw also hard) or we'll repeat our dumb mistakes
    and we need someone with some chops at evaluating QB talent to see if Sam is any good, or if TL is the real deal. Since i'm a dummy at eval i'll ride the coattails of some of the posters on here who i respect who seem very high on TL, though as a fan i feel i've heard stories like this before, e.g., Bradford, even Luck (who seemed out half the time).

as i've mentioned before. I'm in NE surrounded by merciless Patriots fans. I keep telling them they'll never experience the Joy I will when the Jets win it all (subtitle: i won't experience that either because this is the Jets)

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, they went 3-13 Peyton's rookie season the team was so bad. The GM then built around him, and the team completely turned it around Peyton's second season. Yes, Manning benefitted from the improved OL and RB, but Manning had a LOT to do with the improvement of the Colts and their winning. You're delusional if you don't think that is the case.

The Patriots only improved because of their D and an extremely good RB. Brady's leadership and play had nothing to do with it. Right. Got it. SMH

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How about you keep them both? Find out which one is more ready to play. What's the hurry to get rid of Darnold if you don't have a real good idea of what he is? Even if Lawrence proves to be a superstar right out of the gate, the team's not going to the Super Bowl next year. If you get somebody who knows what he's doing to coach them and it's proven that Darnold doesn't work, you get rid of him before 2022 rolls around and still get some kind of draft pick.

12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Do you believe the offensive personnel will look exactly the same next season as it does this season?

Even if you do, should the Jets pass on a highly regarded player simply because they don’t have the right people to surround him with in his rookie year? Even if they know they have the option to sit him for a season?

2018 Cardinals OL couldn’t stop a nose bleed. Got Rosen the bust killed. They still drafted Murray after that dreadful season. They’re 4-2 this season and they’re getting solid play from Murray. The guys accounted for 16 TD’s this season. We don’t have that many if you include Sam’s pick 6’s as offensive TD’s.

#72 Jets81, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree 100%

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

and sam didn't look that way until last year his 3rd year in the league.
    bradford had a great career. his problem was injuries. tannheill is a pro bowler now. rosen is the exception. he was just bad. Look at josh allen everyone hated here when I liked him. he's playing really good now with a good o-line and people to throw to

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah Josh Allen has looked great the past two weeks. He's went from MVP candidate to rookie year Josh Allen real quick.

Bradford had a great career? He's never had a winning record. He was the QB on the 8-8 Vikings that went 13-3 the following year and lost in the conference championship game with Case Keenum. He missed two years because of injury and started for five seasons. He was a bust.

Tannehills the exception dude. Along with Alex Smith and a couple others.

Defend these dudes too while you're at it.

Christian Ponder, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, EJ Manuel, Johnny Manziel, Blake Bortles, Brandon Weeden, Tim Tebow, Paxton Lynch, etc.

Of course Sam will improve with a better team around him. But will he be a star or will he be Andy Dalton (actually a fairly good comparison at this point)? It's pointing closer to Dalton than it is a FQB and denying that he's pretty much been a bottom tier QB in all three years, regardless of situation, is just sad Jets fan denial.

JetsNation06 and REVISion like this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Burrow isn't why we need Trevor Lawrence.

Sam Darnold is why we need Trevor Lawrence.

During Sam's THIRD SEASON he's rated dead last. 32nd in QB Rating. And is a turnover machine as he was with USC.

Sam Darnold wasn't head and shoulders above the likes of Mayfield. Allen. Rosen and/or Lamar coming out.

However. Trevor Lawrence is head and shoulders above not only any QB coming out but every NCAA football player who will come out. 100% he goes #1 overall.

Like it or not but Sam is why we need Trevor.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's 2 weeks. you guys were slobbering over baker for 1 good game when he had 8 poor ones but allen going from MVP candidate to 2 bad weeks makes him suck? and maybe not good but bradfors was solid. bad situation and then his knee issues ruined it. chad didn't have a great carerr but he was a FQB if not for the shoulder injuries. you guys get caught up in so much numbers I swear nobody here watches football. you guys just read the stats and make them law. those Qbs you listed just sucked. It was easy to see. Sam doens't suck. tlaw isn't impressive. it's a huge mistake to move on from sam

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bradford's knee injuries has nothing to do with his ineffectiveness. He was ok. He had one "good" season and that was the one I mentioned. There's a reason he's out of the league and it had nothing to do with injuries. Way different than Chad - it's not as if Bradford was some sort of runner in college or the pros.

You want to generalize and group everyone together? That's cool. Allen doesn't suck - Baker does. But Allen sure looked awful the past two weeks and may have come way back down to earth from his early production.

You do realize you're not the only guy who watches games, right bro?

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

By your own logic, you are ignoring Sam's bad games.

20. JetsNation06

Not to mention Chad wasn't drafted #1 overall like Bradford. Sam Bradford was an injury waiting to happen and a bust based on where he was drafted.