The QB Slide?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Patriot, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

When the rule first came about allowing the QB to so give himself up, I thought this was for sure the wussification of football. When the QB decides to be a running back, then he should face the same dangers as any other player. But the powers that be want to protect the QB for TV ratings. So technically the QB is giving himself up not just in sliding feet first but also diving.

In tonight's game between the Chief's and the Bills, Patrick Maholmes on 3rd down was running with the ball trying to get a 1st down. When he sensed he was about to be tackled, he started his slide and then did an about-turn and continued running. He came just inches short of a first down. His cowardly cheating stunt gained him about an extra 4 yards. I was pissed!

1.) I thought by the rules if a QB gives himself up, the pay is dead. The refs should have blown the whistle and called him down where he made the cowardly move. They did not, however.

2.) In the case of a returner calling for a fair catch, if he does and then attempts to return the ball, it is a 5-yard penalty. This should be the same case for Maholmes tonight, but I guess it isn't a rule yet.

3.) Both Mahomes and Wilson have pulled this cowardly stunt in several weeks and have gotten away with it. This should not be part of the game. I am pretty sure other QBs will take notice and start employing the fake slide to avoid contact and gain further yardage running. Is this what we want the game to become?

Conclusion
    QBs should not be allowed the protection of the slide or giving himself up. The protections offered a returner, kicker, or punter are reasonable because an argument could be made they are defenseless. How is a QB who decides to run to gain yardage defenseless?

If you are going to offer this protection to the QB, does it also seem reasonable there should be a rule not allowing the QB to pull off the cowardly cheating fake slide? Mahomes was cheating when he faked his slide tonight and it pisses me off that he and other QBs in the future will be doing this and getting away with it. This is not football folks!

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Runningbacks and receivers are allowed the same protection to slide and give themselves up. They wear bigger pads so they don't do it.

What needs to be eliminated is the defender diving for the quarterback nearly simultaneously as he starts his slide and defenders don't crush the QB but are still flagged for pillow fighting him on the ground. It should be fixed.

And while I like Mahomes and won't root against him, he does flop a lot and has tried to draw 'late hits' by stopping short in bounds to force defenders screaming across the field to bump into him. Refs need to use more common sense with what's a late hit and more importantly what hits are made with malice intent and what hits are just hustle plays where they can't let up.

But no - it shouldn't be eliminated. It's fine. Everyone can do it.

Patriot likes this.
  3. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

I didn't know running backs and receivers could do it also. I am willing to concede that the rule remains, under the idea it offers some protection to the players. But I did find the game more exciting when you didn't know whether a QB was getting killed or not.

I was rooting for the Chiefs tonight by the way to win tonight.

But when I saw Mahomes fake a slide and then continue running, I found this very disgusting as a fan of the game. I am not sure if the rules state he is considered down when he makes an apparent slide. Perhaps the refs missed this call tonight.

But I do think a player should be penalized for pretending to give himself up and then continue running. It is a mockery of the rule that is there to protect him and honestly it is somewhat cowardly in my opinion. This is even worst than flopping.

I can't fault Mahomes to continue doing this if he gets away with.

Can you imagine other players playing the fake slide followed by a run then followed by a slide? At what point would the defender ever have a chance in a scenario like this?

I really hope this is the last time I see it, but something tells me the NFL copycat league will be doing this some more in the future. I would hate to see a game decided because of this.

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I had to stop reading right here.

A Cheatriots fan?

Talking about Cowardly Cheating?

Holy shit. Now I've freaking seen it all.

Dierking likes this.