Trade Sam to Dallas. Now.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WoodyHarrelson, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I would agree with not taking Fields or Lance and trying to build around Darnold with 2 or 3. Fields is so hard to evaluate because his running ability + his running game with Dobbins and that offensive line has him throwing to so many wide open receivers.

It's not as if Lawrence doesn't throw to open receivers too but it's just different if you watch the two of them play. Lance is too much of a wild card IMO.

azhar80 likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Lance would be better off going to the Saints or Steelers. He could sit for a year like Mahomes did and take over on a team with good coaching and supporting cast.

3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

The idea is absolutely retarded for both teams. Jets- NO WAY you can trade Sam until you secure the top pick, Dallas- Dalton is better than Sam and knows the system so why on earth would htey five us a draft pick?

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think Dallas is trading for a young QB who is currently hurt and headed into the expensive years. They have a better version of that already.

I do think the injury will affect how they view Dak Prescott. They were 1-3 with him breaking records and driving the offense. They had him on the tag because they couldn't work out a deal with him. I'd be really surprised if they decided to do anything other than tag him again next year unless his brush with football mortality makes him change his mind on the long-term security vs record-breaking contract front.

That tag is going to get expensive.

ColoradoContrails and Doreblade like this.
  5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Well Sam wouldn't be considered older by any metric. Still very much a young QB. That said, Dallas would never do this but since everyone's throwing out ridiculous pipe dreams might as well join the fray!

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Dak is one of those borderline cases where you have to decide whether you want to commit to an expensive QB who's very good but not elite. If you have someone like Mahomes or Wilson, it's a no-brainer to open up the checkbook, whereas if you have someone like Winston, it's obvious to let him go. But with Dak, it's going to be very hard to win a Super Bowl while paying him big money, yet if you get rid of him, you'll probably end up worse off.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I guess that's the popular view, but I believe there is a difference. Sam was not a top HS prospect, had one very good Suck for Sam year, followed by quite pedestrian turnover prone second year. He was a high draft pick because of the flashes he showed that first year. And don't take me wrong, I was just excited about him as anyone else, since he gave this franchise a chance. Here we are on his third year, and I see him regressing like he did in College, I see a WR who looked average with him turn into superstar with another QB, and now I see some washed up old dude play every bit as good a Sam did in his absence.

Lawrence is playing very well for 3d year in a row and was a top HS recruit, won national championship. Assuming he keeps it up, he would be a MUCH better prospect than Sam. People say he may be like Manning. I am not sure about that, but if true, you remember the absolute shit that was the Colts before Payton? That was even worse than the Jets. So, maybe I am too hopeful, but I don't think it's the Jets that sacked Sam, I think he had a lot to do with it himself too, and I do hope we end with Lawrence who, with new coach also, can do better.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Let's say we get the 1st pick and SF wants it. Let's assume they are picking about #16. That's about 2000 points of value on jimmy's chart.

I'd begin by having them trade us Laken Tomlinson. Poof goes away our LG trouble.

This leaves about 1600 points. That's a lot of picks. We could trade up for another qb or wait for one to fall to us. Geez--Aaron rogers was picked #21. We dont have to have a top 4 pick to get a decent qb.

All those picks and the picks from Adams trade and we're money.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sorry, just meant older than Lamb.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Man, JD better be on the phone. You know Jerry must be embarrassed right now BUT, they are still in the playoffs. Trade for Amari Cooper or this years first.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Why stop at Cooper or the first? clearly the Cowboys would trade Cooper and a 1st, and might throw in Elliot to boot.

12. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Do it JD. Throw in Zuniga!!

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

14. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

In fairness

the cowboys had not been beaten by the cards yet on national TV at home

I feel like Doc from back to the future!!!!

15. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

Mid season is probably rather have flacco who would more easily learn an offense and steady a team than a young, lost but promising QB mid season.

Dalton is actually pretty decent at QB.

16. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I bet they'd trade all their super bowls for Sam

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think anybody is going to trade for Sam Darnold right now. Certainly not anything valuable.

The window to maybe trade Darnold will be before the draft next year and then again near the trading deadline in 2021 assuming he is playing well at that point.

What everybody is missing at the moment is that Darnold really wasn't playing well before he got hurt. He had very little to work with in terms of talent around him but he was pretty much blowing chunks himself alongside that bottom level talent.

I'd be very surprised if anybody in the NFL considers him a top prospect at this point. There are definitely teams out there that would take a flyer on him given his age and physical talent but a flyer is a low level pick or two not the kind of deal the Jets would likely be considering offering at this point.

The other thing to remember is that Darnold still has mechanical problems in his throwing motion at this point two and a half years into his NFL career. He said before the 2018 draft that he wasn't planning to change his throwing style to get rid of the hitch that scouts were seeing at the time and he hasn't made changes to get rid of it.

His value, such as it is, is as a very mobile QB who can find targets on the run now and then. That's an interesting skill to have but most teams are looking for guys who can make throws accurately and to their team not the opponents. So far Darnold has not exhibited an ability to do that consistently.

#57 Br4d, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Currently Dalton is Sam's ceiling.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep..not bad idea to trade Sam but timing is everything

Can't believe how much he has regressed

JD getting someone to take Sam for firsts and blue chip players would almost be like pulling off selling the the Bklyn Bridge

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Cowboys defense is worse than ours. That’s...amazing.