Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

What don't you understand about Douglas and Gase being peers???? The Johnsons are the ones who make the decisions regarding hiring and firing, NOT Douglas. SMH

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Yes, I can. I don't think Lawrence can bust, but even if he does, he would have been the right pick. Sam is not the answer at QB. The Jets cannot depend upon him or pay him $25 million. You know as well as I that how a football team fares begins and ends with the QB position. If they don't get that right, they'll never turn things around, regardless of how good the rest of the team might be.

Barring a complete collapse or catastrophic injury, Lawrence should be our pick if we have the #1 pick. In typical Jets luck, fashion, Lawrence probably will suffer a catastrophic injury towards the end of the season, and once again, the Jets will be screwed. They'll be stuck with the 1st pick, no other player worthy of that pick, and no viable option to trade down and get a haul of picks.

REVISion, NYJetsO12 and jets_fan like this.
  3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

On the topic of firing Gase, G. Williams crossed that thin blue line that all coaching staffs and orgs hold dear in the NFL and in other leagues, for that matter: he insulted his head coach. When you have a situation that a member of the coaching staff turns on the HC by making insinuations and off the cuff remarks to the media behind the coaches back, that is just about rock bottom as a franchise can get. I don't see how it is all possible that a major change cannot be prevented at this point and very soon. I would be very surprised if this situation does not cause an implosion. The Bills game may determine the direction of what happens in the aftermath of it.

SOJAZ likes this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm guessing the Bills will be pissed off coming to MetLife. Might be a good thing for the Jets.

5. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Agreed. If we have the #1 pick and Trevor Lawrence does indeed come out (and doesn't pull an Eli Manning and refuse to come here), he has to be the pick. Yes, there are so many holes on the roster that trading the pick could bring in the number of picks to help fill them, but you just don't pass on a generational talent, especially at the QB position. This is one of those times the Jets can't overthink this and try to get cute. Do the obvious thing, get the QB, and then build around him.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. There will be other QBs & as important as they are 1 player does not make a team.Esp when discussing potentially record breaking type compensation. Jets dont have much of a “team” right now w. Or w.o TL.Specifically on offense

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

The very guys who are saying we should pass on Lawrence and trade down are the very same guys who will complain later that the Jets don't have a decent QB and complain that Douglas got too cute in the draft and thought himself smarter than everyone else, just like countless other Jets GMs have done. It's totally sad and pathetic how Jets fans don't learn from history and what has happened before.

Borat, NYJetsO12 and jets_fan like this.
  8. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

It's also the only thing that could possibly send a jolt through this organization. Bringing in a new coach and the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck can immediately lift the malaise that is hanging over this franchise right now. That would only be temporary, of course, but giving everyone from the fans to the people within the organization some reason for hope would go a long way towards getting things headed in the right direction. Look what Rex Ryan and Sanchez were able to do in 2009. They came in, grabbed the franchise by the collar and shook it out of the "same old Jets" mindset. That needs to happen again, albeit hopefully with someone who can sustain the competence beyond more than two seasons.

SOJAZ, Borat, REVISion and 1 other person like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

You know what you just said is utter BS. Tell the Packers that Aaron Rodgers doesn't make that team. Tell Patriots fans that Brady didn't make that team. A generational QB makes ALL the difference. He elevates the play of others around him. "Other" QBs are not good enough. If Douglas traded down and used all fo those picks on other positions to improve the team, what good would it do when we still got inconsistent, sloppy play from the QB? The team could easily get so good that they go 9-7 or 10-6 every year and lose in the 1st round of the playoffs because of poor play at the QB position, and they may never be able to trade up to get a quality QB.

I'm sick of the rotation of awful QBs we've had since Namath. I'm sick of hairbrained theories and ideas from Jets fans that ignore Jets history and want to repeat the same mistakes that previous GMs have made. Ironically, it's many of the same fans who trashed those previous GMs, yet want to make the same dumb mistakes.

Lawrence wouldn't be coming to the same Jets team as this year. By the time Lawrence is drafted, FA will already have happened, and the Jets will have 9 or 10 other draft picks in 2021 with which to address the offense. Unless Douglas is totally incompetent, didn't learn a thing from Ozzie Newsome or Laurie in Philadelphia, and has zero understanding of how to build a team, he would build around Lawrence.

Borat, NYJetsO12 and jets_fan like this.
  10. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I think the confusion comes when we define "tank". Totally agreed that players absolutely don't intentionally try to lose games (i.e. tank). Players don't get to this level w/out an insane desire to succeed and no player, especially in the NFL, is going to lose games so the team can get a high draft pick to choose a player who might replace them...However, owners and GM's build Strat plans that span several years and can include "tear downs" that while the goal isn't to directly lose games, the actions they take to tear down/rebuild have that direct cause/effect relationship...which everyone enters into w/ eyes wide open...When the season starts everyone wants to win, but at the macro level you won't win due to all of the conscious actions taken by team leadership prior to the games being played...Is that "tanking"? Eye of the beholder I guess..

One big contradiction to your point above...If you check out the 76's Strat plan and messaging from a few years back nicknamed "the process", I think you'll see an ownership group and GM that openly talked about losing games to get high draft picks to rebuild. So while I get your point that it mostly never openly occurs, the 76's are an example of where it did...Less openly, the Houston Astros engaged in it too about 6 or 7 years ago...But then you get into how each person defines "tank"...I don't think Douglas went into the season working to directly lose games, but the losses are a direct result of his actions in the tear down. Tank or not, conscious decisions stripping the team of talent have caused the Jets to be where they are...everyone can choose what to call it on their own...but let's not think that smart guys who get paid millions don't understand the cause/effect ramifications of their actions.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I agree with all but the bold. There are players in the NFL who don't love the game and who don't work to become the best they can be or to try to be the best ever at their position. They're in it for the fame, notoriety and the $s. Antonio Cromartie was one of those players. He never worked to develop solid fundamentals and technique. He just coasted and tried to get by on his natural athletic ability.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. So aaron Rodgers could go out w Joe Douglas’s Jet team right now & ace his way to a super bowl title?! Brady? Johnny Fucking Unitas? Thats essentially what you’re saying when you argue that 1 player makes a team.

You refer to draft comp as lottery tickets.What the hell is Trevor Lawrence? Many thought Jamarcus Russell was generational. Jeff George as well.Tony Mandarich was considered the best offensive line prospect ever.If you think TL is somehow above this well im sorry but you’re wrong.

There is nothing that says the Jets cant take a different route to their next QB after Sam.Ideal? Maybe not. TL is an elite prospect. But when the team is this bad & you get the #1 pick all options must be on the table. No prospect gets put on an invisible pedastal or has no price.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Thanks NC..you have doubled down on passing on Darnold..we need to know we have the best QB on board FIRST

I've ridden your Posts for years now and while not all agree with your acumen you don't sugar coat or hold back

For all the Doubters on the importance of QB look where the Bengals are headed with Burrow and better management (shitty players surround Burrow right now)

FTMR NC you liked B. Mayfield (me too) and while the Browns didn't beat Pitt last weekend but they are a WC team imo

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No, please don’t even think it. We have had enough bad karma to last us a life time. Think positive. We could finally have a 6’6 FQB to lead us to the promised land.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

The bold is not what I said, and if you're rational, you know it. You're just being an ass. Elite, generational-type QBs definitely make a difference on their team. I clearly said that Douglas would build around Lawrence, so Lawrence wouldn't be playing with this year's team. I think Rodgers would enable this team to win at least 4-5 games even with Gase and this year's talent. Look at the games he's had and won with not much different level of WR than what we have. I believe that he would ignore Gase, audible, and do what he needed to do to win. I don't think overall the team is as bad as you and others. I think this team with Rodgers and Matt LeFleur might win 6-7 games. I think Gase and this CS are much of the problem. The rest of the problem is due to Mac's horrible drafting and handling of FA. Blaming it on Douglas is flat out ignorant and stupid.

16. Have stated repeatedly that i acknowledge the impact a franchise QB can have on a team’s fortunes as well as week to week success. Ive gone as far as to say im not opposed to TL. But truly believe that prospects are just that prospects..And where this team is at competively, if someone is offering record setting compensation Jets should at least listen & leave all options on table.

Insisting Douglas has zero blame at all w an offseason in hand, not even considering he had a whole season beforehand to self evaluate,research & prep? Making a piss poor roster 100% on the coaching staff?Hate to disappoint you but when it goes this bad its not 4 or 5 win talent. And its organizational failure.Not just failure from Macc. Everyone shares fault.INCLUDING Joe Douglas Dont project your own irrationality unto me just bc you dont like my opinion.

SOJAZ and Ralebird like this.
  17. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

If Gase is HC in 2021 season you can count on this fan of 40 years to not follow this team as long as he is HC.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

SOJAZ, ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  18. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Well one good thing, we don’t have the worst defense in NFL, that goes to Dallas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Well one good thing, we don’t have the worst defense in NFL, that goes to Dallas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This:
    And this:
    There is no company, team, or organization in the world that would put up with this kind of incompetence at the management or any other level. Underperforming players are released every week, underperforming employees are fired every day. There comes a point where you MUST make an attempt to get the situation under control before it spirals completely out of control.

At some point, dragging this out does more harm than good.

Talent is being misused and not developed. The highly touted "Franchise Quarterback" that was just drafted a couple of years ago looks lost. The coach makes no adjustments to accommodate his players strengths, runs no motion to help his QB read defenses, doesn't run two tight end sets when his QB is getting creamed. There is a history of players leaving this coach and exceling elsewhere.

We are doing a grave disservice to our quarterback by not making every effort to give him the best available leadership, schemes, and opportunity to succeed. We got "our guy" in 2018 and now in 2020 we are already looking for "our guy" again. We are showing the rest of the league, including potential free agents and future coaches, that we are willing to accept this BS and do nothing to correct the problem.

This has nothing to do with "tanking for Trevor", it has to do with running a PROFESSIONAL organization, and being perceived as such.

Worse, if there really is a plan to tank for the number one pick, do you really think Adam Gase is not "in on it". Who here thinks CJ gave his blessing to Joe to tank without Gase being in on the conversation? That would mean CJ is NOT going to fire him at all and he'll be back next year. No coach would willingly participate without that assurance.

So, you either believe that:
    A) The tank is on, Gase is aware, and we'll see him back next year. This scares me.
    B) CJ is allowing Joe to ship out players like Bell and McClendon and tanking without consulting the Head Coach (which I find hard to believe).
    C) Woody told CJ not to do anything until after the election plays out.
    D) The Jets really are cash-strapped and can't commit to throwing money at more coaches so we're stuck.
    E) Nobody knows what the fuck they are doing.
    Which is it?

If you do not remove the tumor, the cancer will continue to decimate the body piece by piece. THAT is what the Jets need to stop - the cancer. We may not win a single game with an interim coach and I can live with that, but somebody needs to try to right this ship and it starts with terminating the Adam Gase.