Sports Ill: "Lawrence should steer away from the Jets"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, Oct 19, 2020.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Some highlights from Sports Illustrated article:

The reality is that Sunday’s game depicted a team that needs far more than a new head coach before it can succeed. Generously, the Jets would need 17 new starters by next year, or a coaching job so miraculous that it transcends the modern game. Does Lawrence want to risk a potentially gilded career on the off chance that this next regime, this next coach, this next general manager, don’t all wind up in the same pit four years later, hoping for a mercy field goal against the 2–3 Miami Dolphins?

In the end, Lawrence orchestrating his own exit from New York before he even arrives could benefit the Jets, too. They are one of the few teams for which Lawrence probably would not make a noticeable difference immediately. And the massive haul from trading the pick might go a long way toward filling some of those 17 starting spots they’ll need to build around Sam Darnold.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/10/19/trevor-lawrence-new-york-jets-eli-manning

This is another thing not firing Gase is getting us.

#1 ouchy, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Meh. We will let Gase go, hire Jim Harbaugh, spend big in FA and Lawrence will be a Jet. Yes I am drinking.

Dierking, Centiment, stinkyB and 5 others like this.
  3. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

If Lawrence is smart he will stay away from this franchise. Be great if he or his agent tells JD and CJ that he wants nothing to do with this team and will refuse to report if drafted. Then that has to be explained to the fanbase why the NYJ drafted another DB first round. Lol

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets need to let the GM hire the head coach. Right now, you have the GM, the head coach (really an offensive coordinator) and the defensive coordinator all reporting to ownership. That is a recipe for disaster.

Leicester Jet, AJW and jetstopgun like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

These articles are so beyond ridiculous and annoying. We hear this EVERY year cause the team that holds the first pick EACH year sucks. This is nothing new.

My prediction is Trevor enters draft and plays for whichever team has the first pick, hopefully the Jets.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sports Illustrated doesn't get to talk about shitty organizations. They failed to adapt to the digital media sphere, got bought out by The Maven, an organization run by sleazy frat bros, and let all their good writers go to other publications. Now they try to coast by on their name, which is all they have left. Am I shooting the messenger? You're damn right I am. Now where's the Tylenol?

8. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

Sports Illustrated should steer away from the Jets’ dick and stay in their lane.

9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

The pros of going back to school for Lawrence seem pretty minimal honestly and anyone with the first overall pick is going to be a disaster of a team, hence being in the position to be first overall.

I don't buy the nonsense, especially from SI. If we get the first overall pick, this team will be very different next season.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. That said, there is no guarantee that he does come out. If he's as "All World" as everyone claims, he has to know what his value is, much like the Mannings did, and may well decide to play hardball with a team like the Jets. No, I don't think it's likely, but I mention it by way of cautioning all those here who are convinced that keeping Gase as HC will guarantee Lawrence becoming a Jet.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I think people just assume that Gase staying till the end of the year will put us in the position of picking 1st (I think that's true). Whether Trevor comes out is a completely different story.

I don't think he has the pull the Manning's did and I also think the CBA is a lot different today than it was in 2004 or earlier. I would think that he comes out, but he may not want to come to New York.

We aren't going to find out till the end of the CFB season anyway.

12. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

The biggest con about being the top QB in any draft.

The team you go to will be pathetic. Its ok trevor, as we have a massive LT to smash anyone that wants to go near you.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

The Dark Knight and grkmanga31 like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yup. Lawrence is coming out this year. He already said so. I posted this in the Gase thread. Clemson will light up everyone they play this year with a heavy dose of Lawrence passing in the first half to get him his Heisman. He already has the National Championship and will likely play in his third this year. He goes down as a top 5-10 CFB QB of all time and comes out and plays for the team that takes him.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...g-his-last-year-before-leaving-for-nfl-draft/

14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Lawrence goes to the team who has the #1 pick as some posters have already said. That's how it almost always works. The Mannings and Elway situations were exceptions not the norm by any stretch. Sunshine in the big city. We need it.

NYJetsO12 and boozer32 like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Probably safe to say 90% of the kids who come out get drafted by a team they don't know anything about and don't wanna play for.

Once the draft gets passed the 5th round players are hoping they DON'T get drafted so they can sign with a team they really like.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What? Lol. No one wants to go undrafted dude. You have a much better shot of making the team if they draft you for one. Not to mention more contract guarantees and what not. Kind of silly to say...

#16 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    boozer32 likes this.
  17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

No, he's gonna pull a Peyton Manning and stay another year.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yet another dumb take on the situation. Any other team drafting in the top 3 any year is going to be awful. They're going to have holes and personnel problems, and most likely CS and owner issues too. It's all BS!

BomberJet, NYJetsO12 and Brook! like this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

If you are #1 then you go to NFL team 31 or 32..the dregs of the League whether its Spring 2021 or 2022

I mean c'mon now the Chiefs Steelers Rams and Packers are not the places you start a very lucrative career lmao

Come to Papa Jet Baby!!!!

Brook! likes this.
  20. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

These articles act like if he stays in college, next year he will play for a better team. Going first pick means you go to a shit team. That's the entire fuckin reason that team is picking first. You make a fuck ton of money and you have to sacrafice the fact that you are on a shitty roster for a period of time.

They say the same shit every year with which ever team is picking first. It's getting really old