Burrow is why we need Lawrence

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Nor should the presence of both on the same team next year be.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

From what I observed, Sam did a bit better overall than washed up Flacco, who played poor last two seasons and wasn't great to begin with, though it is relatively small sample size with only two games from Joe. Biggest difference was that Sam was able to score some in garbage time, while Flacco didn't even do that. Passer ratings 70 to 65. Not sure if this qualifies as Sam not being a problem, more like they both sucked so far like majority of the team.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Burrow also went on two 70 yard scoring drives, two 50+ yard drives, and two 40+ yard drives. He threw for 300+ yards and if Bullock doesn't miss a 48 yard Field Goal that last drive might look a bit different.

Sam threw for 168 yards, three picks (two for touchdowns), got safetied and went on two drives over 50 yards (one ended in a pick, one for a touchdown) against the same defense and team. He outscored his own offense by throwing the ball to the other team. If the Colts offense doesn't touch the field, we still lose.

It's not even close how much better Burrow looks than Sam at this point.

Jets81, Ray Lucas and REVISion like this.
  4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think those of you who feel Lawrence is the answer are deluding yourselves. The truth is this franchise does not know how to develop a young QB nor, more importantly, build a team around him. They blew it with Sanchez, now Darnold, what makes you think drafting Lawrence will be any different?

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

burrow has no o-line but he does have 2 stud WRs and a great run game with mixon and bernard and a good coach.

blackssmagic likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Taylor is 3-18-1 as a Head Coach. I'd hardly call that 'good.' Maybe he can get the label "could be a good coach one day."

Mixon is good. And he has a couple good receivers. I'd hardly rave about a career scat back like Bernard.

Sam had two chances to take us down the field at home, on a short week, against a third string UDFA, to win the game and couldn't do it. Burrow nearly matched our entire offensive touchdown output with Sam under center in the first half versus Indianapolis.

It's night and day. Situation aside - they're a garbage team too and he looks way better and calm and in control.

REVISion likes this.
  7. Khan

Khan Active Member

This team doesn't have one good RB now (Mixon is elite; borderline top 5 in the league) and the Bengals have at least 3 WRs more versatile than anyone on the Jets.

Burrow does look better regardless of the situation, but contextually he is also in a better position to make plays.

Pepsiguy5 and JustinDaseezin like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

As someone else stated, Burrow already almost has more career 300 yard passing games than Sam. And he's only in a slightly better situation with his surrounding talent/coaches. The Bengals literally have the worst offensive line in the league.

The excuses for Sam keep shifting instead of accepting the obvious truth - he's just not that good. I don't understand why it's so hard to see that. There's a mountain of evidence that says Sam is not good. Why do our fans insist on denying reality?

94Abraham, phubbadaman and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We took Sam when he was very young. Too young to come to a train wreck like us. He was doomed the moment we hired Gase.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Apparently Sam played his first two years with the NFL's leading receiver and we never would've known because he couldn't get him the ball consistently enough. His catch percentage is up 24% since syncing up with Teddy Bridgewater as well.

From 2017-2019 Anderson's yards per game went down by 5 yards each year. His yardage and catches both went down as soon as Sam got here. Is this just a coincidence? Simply bad OL play? Bad usage?

Sam might still have a chance to be a good player in the NFL. But he hasn't been a good player thus far.

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Keyshawn Johnson this morning:

""You drafted a guy three years ago with the third pick in the draft because he was your Trevor Lawrence. Sam has nothing around him. Nothing. Zero, zilch, right? Nothing. He looks good at times and bad at times with nothing around him.(Sam) has a coach that how he wound up coaching the New York Jets, we'll never know. But you're ready to move on from (Darnold) because you think Trevor Lawrence is the next Andrew Luck?

I don't understand why they think that the quarterback is the answer when they have one that they need to put pieces around," Johnson explained. "You take that number one pick and you trade it. And you do what the Boston Celtics in basketball have done -- you stockpile a bunch of picks, and then you start to find guys that can help you build your damn team!"

12. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

They played Georgia Tech, not exactly a powerhouse of football

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

for now. if they don't get him so o-line help he'll start toi look shell shocked. we said the same about tannehill and look what he did with a team change.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A franchise doesn't develop a QB. A HC or OC or QB Coach do that. I also think the whole thing of "developing" players is overstated. Yes, they can work on teaching or refining fundamentals to help players become better physically or to take better advantage of their athletic ability. The great players mostly come into the NFL already great, and make immediate impacts with their talent, innate football IQ and athletic ability. Any QB that we have to substantially develop is never going to be a top echelon QB. That's why Sam is not the answer. It's why Sanchez was not the answer. You can definitely make QBs like that work if they have the perfect CS and the perfect team around them, but those types of QBs don't elevate the play of others around them and don't overcome bad situations.

Sanchez didn't have half the ability, football IQ, or athletic ability of Sam. Sam may only have half or at most two-thirds of the talent, football IQ and athletic ability of Lawrence. Sanchez was never going to be developed into a top 5 QB in the NFL. He didn't have the base intelligence, the football IQ, the drive, the leadership, the talent or the athleticism. I'm pretty convinced that Sam doesn't either. We like him because he's a great kid, is young, and he was the best hope we've had in a long time at QB, but that ship has pretty much sailed. If he isn't ruined completely, I don't think he'll ever develop here. I think at a minimum, he needs a change of scenery. Even that may not be enough, because he just doesn't seem to have the leadership qualities, the football IQ, the base intelligence, the fire in his gut, or the "it" factor to put it all together. I don't care how bad the HC is, by this point, Sam shouldn't be taking unnecessary sacks. He should be able to read defenses, throw the ball away, make better decisions, and innately make those around him better..

15. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I know Peyton Manning or Tom Brady in their prime couldn't win with this team. I know a new QB isn't going to make this team suddenly win games. I know a new QB won't suddenly make our guards and center good at blocking. I know a QB won't suddenly mean our WRs and TEs can get open or catch the ball.

So essentially, I know a QB isn't and can't fix the numerous major problems on offense since the QB isn't the problem on offense.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

That has nothing to do with the fact that he's already playing better than Sam and doesn't look shell shocked. Especially after getting upended in probably the biggest hit we've seen a quarterback take in the past 5 years.

You're right. They said that about Tannehill. They also said that about Rosen and he's on a practice squad right now. Sam Bradford needed the "right" situation too and he's sitting home right now.

17. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

They definitely don't know.

Ironically I don't think people realize that if and when Trevor takes his first snap as a Jet our offense will be completely different

Douglas is gonna dump almost every draft pick and all of our salary cap into the OL, WR, and RB

Whatever is left over the defense will get

Talking about Lawrence on this curent team is moot because he will on a team that looks totally different

Jets81, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  18. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with your premise, but with your comparison. Burrow also got drafted onto a team with at least 3 WRs better than anyone on the Jets, and you could argue their top 4 are at least as good as anyone on the Jets. The bengals also have 2 RBs better than anyone on the Jets. And I would argue they also have a stronger TE position group. So, before even looking at O-line, coaching, etc. the basis of comparison is shot. I'm deeply disappointed in Sam's development, particularly in his in-game decision-making and his penchant for unnecessarily horrible plays where a throw-away or dump-off are easy and should be pretty obvious. But in defense of his impact, I'd debate with anyone who is willing that he has also had the worst skill position talent supporting him and the worst line play of anyone in recent memory.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

What a lot of people are missing is that it does not matter how the Jets have wronged Sam Darnold the player. And how they have done everything BUT put pieces around him to help him become a better player.

No one is disputing that. But you don't get to erase his regression over the past couple years and think you're going to clean his playing slate in year four with a new coach (his third in four years) and some better personnel.

It's possible that it fixes him. It's possible that it doesn't. But you also don't pass up a generational talent like Lawrence (consensus #1 overall through and through) and turn around and sign the $25 million option for a guy that's never thrown twenty touchdowns in any of his first three seasons. And now has started 30 games and missed 8 and counting.

Sometimes franchises and players need to part ways. It works out best for everyone.

If we weren't in position to take a fantastic QB prospect then this wouldn't be much of a question. But if Mariota can get benched and Winston can get tossed into free agency and not retained for the $3 million he got, the Jets can move on from Sam for Lawrence.

Ray Lucas, HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.
  20. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Its a blind love. People don’t want to give up on Sam and truly believe that if we surround him with the Kurt Warner Rams team, he will win this team a super bowl. Memo to those fans, no matter how good Joe D drafts turn out, Isaac Bruce, Torrey Holt, and Marshall Faulk clones aren’t coming to New York anytime soon.

REVISion likes this.