Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, hard to argue this NY. We are between a rock and a hard spot.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You are lucky out there in Cali ..even with an off year SF battles the Rams, a very good team, and puts on a competitive show!

the Jets vs those 2 are Like comparing the Sh*thouse to the Penthouse

Kudos for staying loyal to Jets..ahaha you and Sheepshead Bay Bklyn Larry David

#42 NYJetsO12, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks NY. Die hard Jet fan since ever. Spent my best years in College Point, Queens......20 minute bus ride to old Shea stadium. Now, I feel mortified for the season ticket holders.

Brook!, SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hey I grew up near Bklyn College but got a Masters from Queens College CUNY on Kissena Blvd ahaha

OMG Shea Stadium ..across from 1964 Worlds Fair with that famous Globe..bad Jet football then too

Brook!, barfolomew and LAJet like this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Every single day that Adam Gase remains the head coach of the New York Jets the capability and value of Sam Darnold decreases. Whether that value is in playing quarterback or hanging as trade bait doesn't really matter.

Get rid of Gase now!

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

While it would feel good in the short term, he shouldn't be fired now for multiple reasons that most people probably don't want to consider because they're so damn mad at the ineptitude

The biggest reason is the medicine will be worse than the disease. I might feel differently if there were some genius in the wings but there isn't

Crying for a mid-season coach change is like crying for Trevor Lawrence; it's hoping that one person will somehow be a savior. Ain't gonna happen. We need to keep grinding. And (hopefully) JD is doing his diligence as well. Teams fortunes can turn quick enough but it's still a process.

If nothing else I'd like to think that a competent staff wants to see the process be deliberate and also wants to see the predecessor finish the season

I also hope we get rid of this dumb structure of GM and HC reporting to ownership separately. I might feel differently if our ownership was football royalty and knew their stuff, but even then i'd be reluctant.

GM should choose coach with autonomy

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Completely disagree. If this were even close to a normal case, sure. But it’s not. We look completely lifeless and unprepared right from the first snap of every game, our coaches are bickering at each other publicly, players are passive aggressively shitting on the coach, the coach is alienating players, we are ruining any youth we have on the offensive side of the ball, we are building a roster to fit a terrible scheme. I mean this is doomsday. It can’t get any worse. This isn’t “well we probably are moving on at the end of the season” this is “our coach is actively damaging the team and the rest of the league is taking note of the fact our front office and ownership are too dumb or stubborn to stop it”.

8. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

Agree with this but cant see who the hell we can beat

The Dark Knight and barfolomew like this.
  9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Seems pretty obvious at this point that Gase is still here to help ensure we win the Lawrence lottery, which is absolutely the right decision.

We are 10 miserable games away from winning the lottery which will be the best win for this franchise in over a decade.

Stay the course and move on once that lottery ticket is stamped.

All Gas No Shake and barfolomew like this.
  10. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

This is 100% true. People underestimate the impact of continued disfunction on new players just getting to the NFL. If there are ANY younger players that might be part of the solution going forward, you have to make a change to 1) let them know that this level of inept coaching is not acceptable and 2) MAYBE the interim can help them at least appear competitive for the rest of the year. Being attached to an 0-16 team early in your career CAN have some lasting effect.

You have to get some decent film on record with a few guys to at least show there is a future with some of these players. he's not even playing some of the young players because he is trying to cling to his job. Getting rid of him, you are guaranteed to see a few more young players and get them some experience.

11. Ralebird

No. Just no.

For your penance, watch every post game press conference of Gase from this entire season.

See how he talks about the problems they've corrected, the changes in play calling and the tightening up on penalties they've instituted.

Oh, wait...

12. chandler

what makes you think we're ruining our youth? JD by all accounts has drafted high quality guys -- team captain-types, and he's been shipping the crybabies out of town -- didn't you notice

Real talent knows the situation and will deal with the adversity. I suspect (mostly from sideline body language) that Sam is tuning Gase out to a degree but i don't think it's ruining him; i suspect he has the internal confidence to know he's right, and Gase is wrong

I don't disagree about the other shit show issues you mention -- but that's not reason to throw more gasoline on the fire

"Grit" leads to success. Whether you want anecdote or HBS studies it's real.

13. BroadwayAaron

You watched Sam Darnold the first four games of this year and you don’t think Gase is ruining him? Young players need to be developed. Gase not only cant develop players, but he actively destroys them. He may have ruined Darnold beyond repair, I’d much rather he didn’t do the same to guys like Mims, Perine, etc.

Not to mention, getting annihilated week in and week out then getting roasted by the media for it 10000% takes a toll on players. They are human.

14. chandler

and the last mid-season coach change that was an overall good thing, and not mere cathartic release, was...?

15. chandler

i think he's misusing him, not ruining him, and i think that goes deeper than Gase. I suspect they expected more out of the TEs and RBs than they have got -- big time. That could be on Gase, though when i see the guys drop wide open passes i think it's on them too.

Personally, i think the number one issue on offense at the moment is an inept ground attack.

David Carr was ruined.

and to be crystal clear I'm not endorsing Gase. Cathartic release feels good but is rarely wise

barfolomew likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Not using a QB correctly and forcing him to be what he isnt is the definition of ruining a QB. He isn’t progressing and in some ways is regressing. I don’t know how much worse it can get. You keep calling it a cathartic release but firing Gase would unquestionably serve a functional purpose.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Fire Gase and ruin the tank? No way. I’ll say this. Once we draft a stud qb and spend all the FA money we have this year. If we’re not a 6 win team next year then JD goes

18. Ralebird

Dan Quinn being fired a week ago and the same Atlanta team under interim coach Raheem Morris putting up a twenty point halftime lead and finishing on top by 40-23.

The Jets need to find out what Sam Darnold is; that cannot happen with Gase as the coach.

The Jets also need to tell every player that shitty performance is not acceptable from anyone - particularly the head coach. It's about responsibility and accountability.

Tell us what the Jets have to gain by retaining Gase one more day.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't agree, I think the boy is finished in green unfortunately.

But lets say he isn't finishing 0-16 and then keeping him would still be better, trade the one pick for a kings ransom and give yourself so much more capital to help Sam not just about the 1 but the high pick in subsequent rounds is always a helper as well.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  20. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Texans won after ousting O'Brian too. Sends a message and gives a spark some on here are afraid of.