Not firing Gase now - Could this be Chris Johnson biggest blunder ever?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 17, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Two years ago, Chris Johnson decisions precipitated a chain of ill conceived personnel moves that led to our current state, fielding the most embarrassing NFL team in sports.
    He choose to move forward, or more precisely, waaay backwards, with hiring Gase as our HC, the worst possible choice, and compounded the problem by not firing Mac first. The move caused irrevocable damage to this organization, going down a spiral of bad choices, poor personnel decisions, spending premium dollars on free agents and players that did nothing for us, or players Gase refused to accommodate, and provided Sam Darnold zero support or development in an attempt to make him successful.
    Now the whole team is in chaos, the HC staff has lost complete control, every one is pointing fingers, but we let go of players and retain the HC staff intact.
    Is history about to repeat itself?
    Just like with Mac, Will CJ keep Gase around long enough to completely destroy any remaining talent on this team, Q, Becton, Mims, Maye, etc.?
    Will he wait to year end till Gase has every opportunity to do just enough to completely destroy this team and possibly even fuck us out of the race for the number one pick, making it the least desirable place for a young QB to go play football, ever.
    The time to starting cleaning our act is now, put JD in charge and move Gase out or we will destroy our chances even more.
    Sorry mods for creating a new tread. You might want to combine

SOJAZ, JETS1116, NYJetsO12 and 7 others like this.
  2. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

No argument here. Gase is a cancer and the locker room toxic. Longer it lasts the worse it gets. I read on here the Gase will guarantee 0-16. I don’t agree. The longer he stays, he might pull out a few BS wins, and then talk about progress. I think regardless, we draft 3-6 and miss out on Lawrence. But I think Gase will be gone. If not, even we got Lawrence, it won’t matter!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Sack exchange, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

His biggest blunder was hiring Gase in the first place.

TwoHeadedMonster, AJW, SOJAZ and 14 others like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

If Gase helps us land Trevor Lawrence I'll be thankful.

I hate Gase. I never wanted him. I tried to support him after our 6-2 finish but he's awful. The worst part about him is his character and personality; he's a prick and great players such as Adams wants nothing to do with him. He's a locker room cancer.

With that said. Let him stay until the end of the year. Let him become embarrassed by an 0-16 team.

Fire Gase immediately after our season. Let JD pick his next head coach. Have the #1 pick. Draft Lawrence. And fight from there.

AJW, SOJAZ, All Gas No Shake and 3 others like this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

He has a very similar record to Bill Belicheks first few years before the greatest qb of all time landed in his lap. Jus’ sayin

6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Firing Gase now would be the worst blunder Johnson has made. Getting rid of him would probably lift the spirits of the locker room and that, coupled with the return of some injured players, might result in this group somehow pulling together a win somewhere along the way. We're already not going to make the playoffs, so instead of doing what they always do and find a way to drop their draft spot down into the 6-12 range like they usually do, this team actually needs to just go ahead and finish the job and get the #1 pick. That will go a long way towards getting things back on track, with them either picking the once in a generation QB prospect or trading him for an obscene number of draft picks which would then, in turn, help get things moving quicker. Neither of those things can be achieved without the #1 pick, and Adam Gase is the guy to get us there.

7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think Big Brother Woody told CJ to hold off on firing Gase till he returns home in December & takes over the team again. Woody has no ties to Gase & it would be an easy Fire. CJ told the world how good Gase was & it might be harder for him to pull the plug on him.

8. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

We were all saying the same thing about Bowles. The johnsons dont fire coaches mid season.

9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Did Kotite get to finish his (1-15) season? I can't remember, but thought he did.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He did...

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I think he did. Different owner though. I get letting a coach finish a season, but with Gase he has the ability to destroy the remaining players. The rebuild has been extended a year or two with his scorched earth mentality.

12. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I think we can all agree that Gase is a poor coach and leader. I think it's also pretty obvious that Gase won't be here in 2021. So what to do between now and the end of the season is the real question. I've been in the "fire Gase to save Sam" camp for a while now as to me, Darnold's the #1 Jets' asset. I used to think that properly helping Sam and evaluating him is the only thing that matters in 2020 and thus getting rid of Gase sooner than later was the best path to accomplishing both. Connor Hughes has a pretty good Jets podcast and he said Jets' leadership's thinking on the subject was that any internal interim coach would only be a step-down from Gase...thus being worse off than they are now...I'm not sure that's true but who knows...

But, I've changed my tune after watching how bad this team truly is...I think the #1 Jets' asset (or I guess I should say "potential" asset), is securing the #1 pick. Whether you're in the "pro Sam" camp or in the "pro Lawrence" camp, that pick is w/in reach because of how bad this team is and, due to that, it's the number one thing the Jets should be focused on. Think about it, they have Sam and although the eval is incomplete, they do have him in tow already. That #1 pick will either lead to a potential franchise QB for the Jets or a ridiculous draft haul for the Jets to build around Sam...From current reports, sounds like if they get the pick they'll take Lawrence and if they don't, by default, they'll need to keep building around/continue developing Sam...Because one of those two things will happen, the pick is all that matters as we stand right now. Even the flukiest thing could lead us to a 2-3 win season and to me I want to decrease our odds of that...and for that reason I say keep Gase until the end of the year. He's deadman walking, he looks it, he acts like it and knows he's a goner...The team has taken on that appearance too and doesn't seem to be fighting for anything and especially not for him...This is horrible to say, but good! Firing Gase can only lead to a possible spark and some crazy fluky win or two and I don't even want to risk it...That's what it's come to...

Brook!, AJW, SOJAZ and 6 others like this.
  13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The danger in my eyes goes way beyond the first pick. If we manage to win a couple of meaningless games when everyone else rests the starters and Gase remains our coach in 2021 we are doomed. This loyal fan base will be done with such a shit organization for good.

Brook!, AJW, SOJAZ and 6 others like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

I'd be fine with firing Gase, it lights a spark, and Sam shows his true potential to the rest of the league. The Jets drop to say, #7 overall and continue to build around Sam. That is better than going (0-16) to me. I like Lawrence and think he will be great, but I want Sam to succeed in New York and still believe he can.

Pepsiguy5, SOJAZ and Centiment like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think this is likely the case.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If they win enough games to drop to 7, that could give ownership a reason to keep Gase. "See, we made progress by winning 3 out of 4 to end the season. So what if we're 4-12, Gase showed that he can win when his players aren't hurt."

Jets79, NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

At this point, I think most of the damage is done. I don't know that Gase can ruin the rookies, but I guess it is possible. Sam OTOH, has had so little support and help from this organization, that he might need a change of scenery.

That will be a tough call for Douglas if he has any say in the matter. Getting the #1 pick would be huge either in terms of getting Lawrence or trading the #1 pick for a bevy of picks, but there is the risk that it could sour some of the young players on the Jets, or they might start just going through the motions and wind up suffering a serious injury. I don't think that is the case however with Becton, Mims, Davis, Clark, Morgan, and maybe Zuniga. Remember that Douglas intentionally looked for high character players, with great work ethics, who love football, and who want to be the best they can. If I'm Douglas I'm talking to all those players I drafted and any young players who have shown promise, and telling them to keep working hard, learning, and improving. That if they start dogging it things will get worse not only for the team but for their careers. I'd let them know that Gase is on the way out, and that things will be very different next season.

18. The Dark Knight

Yeah, in my scenario, Gase is already fired though. That is what lights a spark.

SOJAZ, rammagen and CotcheryFan like this.
  19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Sorry, I missed that. I don't see Gase getting fired before the season ends because it's not the Jets MO. Chris would have to eat his words about Gase being a brilliant offensive mind and I'm not sure he'd be willing to do so.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I understand those that believe that going 0-16 and cinching the #1 pick is achieved best with Gase as HC. That may be, but the Johnsons have proven to me, beyond a shadow of any doubt, how football-ignorant, and how detached from winning they are, and so I would not be surprised in the least if they keep Gase as HC beyond this disaster. I can easily see CJ, beguiled by Gase's bulging eyes, excusing his incompetence by pointing to all the injuries and lack of talent due to Maccagnan's failures. Remember, CJ is a guy who just 4 weeks ago that he still thinks Gase is an offensive genius.

Until Gase is fired, he's still the HC, so I want his firing to happen ASAP, and eliminate his continuing to be here altogether. This is like watching a movie where the bad guy is supposedly disarmed and all but captured, and you watch as his captor babbles on about how justice is finally served, and he's going to face the consequences. Meanwhile, the bad guy is working his ropes loose, and as soon as the captor turns his back, the bad guy jumps him, shoots him and runs away. Or to put this all another, more succinct way, as Yogi Berra said: "It ain't over 'til it's over".

FIRE GASE NOW!

SOJAZ, Jets79, MoWilkBeast and 6 others like this.