Breshad Perriman: Jets Offense Can Be Dangerous

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Breshad Perriman: Jets Offense Can Be Dangerous

[​IMG]
    Breshad Perriman knows what a dangerous offense looks like and the new Jets receiver believes an offense that ranked 32nd in football last year has the pieces to turn things around.

"I think we can be really dangerous, and I feel like that's everybody's expectations coming into it," Perriman said as the team's virtual offseason was nearing its conclusion.

Perriman, who had 645 yards receiving and 6 TDs last season in Tampa, was part of a Buccaneers offense that ranked No. 1 in passing (302.8 YPG), No. 3 overall (397.9 YPG) and No. 4 in scoring (28.6 PPG). After filling a supporting role early behind Mike Evans and Chris Godwin, Perriman flourished with opportunity down the stretch with 5 TDs in his last four contests and three consecutive 100-yard games to end the 2019 campaign. But the 6'2", 215-pounder won't take the practice field with his new teammates until training camp after the most unprecedented offseason in NFL history.

"It's been really unique. I feel like this is the first offseason that I'll never forget and most players won't ever forget," he said. "Just having to be really creative as far as the workouts, the meetings, everything."

In mid-June, Perriman and a group of Jets skills players got together with QB Sam Darnold for some informal throwing sessions in Florida. After experiencing success with Jameis Winston, Perriman is excited to work with the Jets' 23-year-old signal-caller.

"It's been really good. I'm a big fan of his. He seems like a down to earth guy still, which is the same thing from day one," Perriman said. "You can tell he's on top of it. He's very specific about his work and his detail. I can't wait, I'm excited."

The Jets revamped the offensive line in front of Darnold this offseason and added depth behind him at QB and behind Le'Veon Bell at RB. They have a talented, diverse set of tight ends and Jamison Crowder is one of the top slot targets in the NFL. One of the top question marks is on the outside at receiver as Robby Anderson signed with Carolina in free agency and Perriman moved north to New York while the Green & White added Baylor product Denzel Mims in the draft.

"I think he's going to bring big plays to the table. From what I've heard and the clips that I saw, he's a big play type of guy," Perriman said of the 6'3", 207-pound Mims. "He can make a small play a big play, which any team would love to have that, so thankfully it's us. We're both bigger type receivers and we both can run. We can both make those big plays, and the small plays turn into big plays. It's going to be fun."

Both Perriman and Mims have sub-4.4 speed on the outside. A former first-round pick of the Ravens in 2015, Perriman can drop some knowledge on Mims as far as doing the little things to help his body and maintaining his conditioning and nutrition away from the team. They are both learning a new offense, but the 26-year-old Perriman has already played in different systems in Baltimore and Cleveland as well as Tampa.

"It's just new language and new terminology, but for the most part it's all the same stuff," Perriman said. "You just have to learn the different language and the different words they use for certain formations, but for the most part I feel like I've been grasping it pretty good."

Perriman, who calls himself an all-around competitor willing to do anything to stack wins, was resourceful this offseason with his workouts that included neighborhood runs and bodyweight exercises. And Perriman, whose career yards/catch average is 16.4 and who had a an 80.8% first-down conversion rate in 2018-19, had a JUGS machine keep his hands ready for training camp practice sessions.

"I just think it's going to be fun, like a kid out of a candy store. They're letting us out of the cage and we really are just getting back to work," he said of the anticipation. "I feel like that first day is going to be (sweet). I can't wait to get back out there, meet my new teammates face to face to create that bond and compete."

matt robinson 17 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We just need one of Perriman or Mims to be an elite receiver and Darnold to be a top 5 QB of all time and we will definitely be dangerous.

Noam likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The guy calling the plays will be crucial as ever.

SOJAZ and matt robinson 17 like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And designing them. Doesn't matter what he calls if 75% of the playbook involves a four yard pass where the WR is expected to turn it into a TD after the catch.

PJ4Ever, SOJAZ and K'OB like this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

This guy is a jag. A former first round BUST. I still can't believe JD let an undrafted household homegrown GEM in Robby Anderson walk in FA and replaced by a BUST Perriman. Disgusting.

b.reyes16 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

well hind sight is 20 20 we are still ranked last and gase is calling the plays ruined Sam, kicked to all pro players to the curb. GASE IS A FING DISASTER

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Dangerous to our sanity maybe, but that's about it.

stinkyB, ukjetsfan, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  8. Wishful thinking never works out in Jet land.Esp w second rate WRs hyped as 1st tier

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Classic offseason puff piece article. It’s why I mainly ignore them.

ukjetsfan and Royal Tee like this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Speaking of offseason puff pieces, remember the One Jets Drive videos?

Royal Tee likes this.
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I’m not sure why we convince ourselves that these washed-up 600yd-per-year WRs we continually sign will miraculously become 1000yd receivers in a toothless offense that favors 4 yard screen passes on 3rd and 27.

12. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I thought we just run it into the line on 3rd and 27.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Actually, you're right. 2nd and 31 then.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

TBH this was biggest mistake JD made so far letting RA walk and adding Perriman

I convinced myself he was going to keep his second half season surge with Tampa going with the Jets...so I bought in

But oh my goodness..the talent that RA has compared to RP is like apples and oranges..oh well. And 20 mil for Anderson not unreasonable

Douglas is betting the new receivers Mims and future WR drafts will blossom

They are letting SD fail with these moves,,too bad

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

For sure, it’s killing me.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Let him and Mims get their asses on the field for more than 1 game.. Then lets talk about how "dangerous" this offense can be. The only thing "dangerous" about this offense is the OLine. Its hazardous to Sam's health.

KurtTheJetsFan, SOJAZ and stinkyB like this.
  17. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more...