Jets let Bell go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 13, 2020.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

You're right. It comes down to getting the right HC, having a shared vision of what the team should look like, and acquiring players who fit that vision. There's a reason some teams can find good players on days 2 and 3 while others can't.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nothing gives me much hope with this franchise other than the fact that the formerly garbage franchises eventually figure it out. Remember how bad the Bengals were in the 1990s/early 2000s? I think people forget how much of a laughing stock the Rams and 49ers were post 2002. Everyone should know how bad the Browns have been for most of all of our lifetimes.

The ebbs and flows of the NFL is built for the shittier franchises to right their ships through the draft. The ones that spend big in free agency are perpetually bad - it's not like the MLB where sheer availability of capital means the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers will be competitive 8 years out of 10.

It'll get fixed. But I say this in knowing the Jets season is over. But watch the NFL. Be a fan of the league. Appreciate Mahomes' greatness. Watch tight divisional games in playoff races. It can still be fun even if your team sucks.

alleycat9 likes this.
  3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Whether this group can do it correctly is completely separate from the idea that this is the correct course of action to do it.

does anyone think Bell and his salary were in JD’s long term plan? I’d love to hear the rationalization if anyone does think so.

This is already the worst team in the league with him, may as well dump him now, hope someone gives him $5-6 million and maximize the get the cap savings for 2021, while eliminating the chance of being on the hook for his entire salary if he gets injured. Where is the long term negative in that?

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i am happy for leveon bell, he was legitimately stuck here wasting away with this buffoon of a hc. hopefully he can find a place that will use him properly and he can still show that he isnt done. he was doomed from the day gase took over. then hearing how the sociopath thought it was a dumb move the writing was on the wall that he wouldnt get used properly, i assumed out of spite because thats how sociopaths work. i didnt realize it would be because he just simply doesnt understand how offenses work. bell has a particular style, slow to fast thru and gase wanted him to put his head down and run full speed into the line like gore does. which has never ever been the way you coach inside zone but wtf do i know.

he will just be another guy who came here to kill his football career, but now a days it seems guys are getting reprieves and let out of the death sentence to go and play in a place where they have a chance.

i wish him hte best, he was a professional here, he towed the line for longer than most would have and he still has alot left in his tank.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Unless your last name is Johnson, you have no proof to base that assertion upon. The reality is that until he's fired, Gase is the HC, and until the season ends and the Jets have "won" the #1 pick, don't count on Lawrence being in Jets green. And even if they DO "win" the #1 pick, how do you know Douglas will draft him, or instead trade that pick for a king's ransom?

If you've followed the Jets for any length of time, you should know better than to make optimistic predictions.

alleycat9 likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

All of that is sound advice, except where you assume that there will be a new HC. Until he's gone, Gase is still the Jets HC. And while you can try and use all sorts of logic and "sound assumptions", consider this: have they ever worked in the past when trying to figure out this team?

7. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

Right there with ya buddy !

Wanna know how BAD this is? I have friends who are hardcore Miami fans, Buffalo fans, Pats fans and Giants fans......and NONE of them are even busting my balls, not one of them.:(

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Considering we made the playoffs in 6/10 years in the 2000s and went to two AFC championship games at the end of the decade, had four Hall of Fame players during that time (two drafted by the team), yes. The Jets have had some success in my lifetime so I guess I have higher expectations that turning a franchise around can be more cyclical than one thinks.

I do think Gase is a goner at the end of the year and gutter franchises don't stay in the gutter forever in the modern day NFL. The rookie cap has changed a lot for better or worse. Teams are no longer married to the player they took in the top 10. Their contracts are manageable and they have an out after four years without having to pony up big money. If that QB under delivered then the team will likely be picking relatively high sometime after their second year and can right their wrong and give it another go. Christian Ponder sucked after being drafted in 2011 so they grabbed Bridgewater three years later.

A big reason why NFL franchises in older CBA agreements were stuck in hell is because they had to pay top picks top dollar for multiple years. Sam Bradford signed a six year, $78 million deal with $50 million guaranteed. That franchise was buried for the first 3-4 years of that contract if he wasn't the guy.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

What proof do I need for an opinion? It is an opinion followed by a fact. My comment was "I am not concerned at all as to why he is still here", which is my feeling and opinion. I then followed that with "the longer he is here, the more we will lose", which is a fact that all will agree on as Jets fans.

And there are already circulating reports that are saying if the Jets have the first pick they will take Lawrence.

10. Andy_M

Andy_M Well-Known Member

On the bright side.....this IS New Jersey. Probably a bad place to piss the fans off this much. Gase could easily just disappear one day into the meadowlands......\

Adam, Jimmie Hoffa says hi.

:p

11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You can't pin this on JD, he didn't sign Bell for one. The other , and the main issue , is that Gase does not know how to use the talent given to him. He's a stiff and absolute stubborn ass'ed individual. He is the reason Mac got canned.

One thing I found out that I was never aware of and not many people are, Gase actually took a drive over to JD's home to beg him to join the Jets. Douglas succumbed and signed on. This undoubtedly makes it really difficult for him to ignore Gase's demands. Very unfortunate.

It's going to have to be CJ that will pull the rug out from underneath Gase, not JD.

12. ColoradoContrails

Okay, they want to get rid of Bell because he's not worth what they're paying him and he doesn't fit into the long term plans. Got it. But as this article from the Forum side bar asks, why not hold onto him at least through the trade deadline to see if some team becomes needy enough to be willing to give the Jets something?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ts-hold-leveon-bell-until-the-trade-deadline/

This decision smacks of a fire sale, and coupled with all the other moves, is making me start to question what Douglas's plan is. I do still believe he has a plan, but the longer he goes with getting rid of assets, while the biggest deficit still remains, makes me worried that whatever new assets he acquires (Lawrence?) will still be negated by the Deficit.

13. ColoradoContrails

Lucky for you, opinions don't require proof. That said, groundless (i.e. claims without proof) opinions don't carry much weight. FWIW, I share your hope that Gase will be gone, but I've been a Jets fan too long to believe it.

14. ColoradoContrails

I understand that you're more optimistic than me, but even in your recent fandom, don't forget what happened with Bowles. While he's not as bad a HC as Gase is, he was still bad, and really it was obvious - or should've been to astute observers - that he was not HCing material after his first season...not despite him almost getting the to the playoffs, but HOW he cost them that chance. And he only got worse from there. And yet, he not only lasted 4 years, he actually got an extension! Given thtn proof of Johnson's complete ignorance of football, no one can assume that he'll fire a guy who just a few weeks ago re-asserted that he believes is a genius.

Believe what you want, but be prepared for a massive let down and big resentment if the Johnsons simply perform to their level of incompetence.

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  15. JetBlue

Your conclusion simply doesn’t flow logically from your premise. The fact that Gase had to beg JD to take the job reflects the fact that JD didn’t find it difficult to turn down the job, despite Gase begging him, and in turn wouldn’t feel fine it difficult to reject Gase’s demands. Once you establish that JD didn’t find it difficult to reject Gase’s request for him to take the job, and had to be begged, you can’t argue it leads to a completely opposite behavior — finding it difficult to reject Gase’s request. What sense does that make to you?

your conclusion, that JD would find it difficult to reject Gase’s demands would only make sense if JD has begged Gase to get him the job, and thus felt sone sense of obligation. By your own argument that is not what happened.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Okay time for some clarification.

There is no trying to save 8 million. That is just to save face with the fans. JD dumped Bell because he wanted to make an example of him for his twitter activity.

The Bell trade means we have utterly given up on Sam and our full intention is to tank the season and draft Trevor. There will be no trading of the number 1 pick.

17. JetBlue

Or it could be both. It’s absolutely asinine to argue that JD didn’t take any consideration of a positive implication to the cap in cutting him in making his decision. Just asinine.

18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yeah, can't they carryover some cap savings to next season?

19. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

If your friend got you job you wanted, would you not Feel obligated to treat that persons requests respectfully. Cmon they probably have known each other quite awhile, and gase chose him for a reason. Never said gase wasn’t intelligent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The move is asinine period.

You don't dump your 1st string RB after 5 games, which also basically throws your QB in the trash, and tank the season for a possible 8 million dollar savings. This is an amateur move by a GM who is starting to look less and less like a professional and more like a guy who built some good teams in Madden 17.