Jets let Bell go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Makes sense to get rid of your best receiving threat (if used properly) on the entire roster including the WR and TE position. He could be the QBs best friend in terms of an outlet and avoiding pressure.
    But since the Jets offense is such a juggernaut that is not really a concern.

While far from the Bell of old, the Bell that played last Sunday was the best we have seen from running back all season.

This team just keeps getting worse and worse.
    We literally have 2 players on the entire roster now that were ever at one time in their careers above average in the NFL. ( Gore and Williamson)

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No, I meant firing him now. He’s gone as soon as 4 more weeks .

3. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I am still boggle about the release. I get trading Bell. I get Gase and JD may have run out of patience. I get if they feel that he wasn’t a fit. But you’re going to tell me that they couldn’t get creative and flexible to make a trade which they have until the end of the month? I am not expecting anything better than a 6th round pick but Damn! I questioned JD’s experience, knowledge, patience and creativity.

4. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

WTF are you talking about this team is worse then it was last yr. Bell love him or hate was the best offensive player on the Jets. You do not dump talent you do not do it the way the jets did alienating players it gives you a bad name with players. esp for shitty coach that has more loses then wins. whether the coach wanted him or not use him to his strengths to help the young qb succeed. F ADAM GASE HE IS A MORON.

Lets look at at next yr they saved money to carry over for next yr what do you think JD is going to do...use that money so the prediction of big signings is over is not true. After posting $hitty yr with a shitty coach they will need to make a splash to try to get back fans who are this point numb to the stupid ass coach and bat shit stupid owners standing by the losing coach.

They destroyed or in the process of destroying Sam getting rid of the best running back hurts him more then helps him, not using any cap to get another wide receiver hurts Sam.
    So yeah I am of the thought they dont know wtf they are doing

5. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

After having conversations with Bell and his agent ... we told him to FUCK OFF

6. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

I’ve stopped trying to figure this team out after they fired the GM after he hired the coach, and handled the draft/free agency. I’m ok with them getting rid of any players who isn’t in their future plans. I just don’t trust them to mold the team future. This Organization doesn’t seem to know what the heck they’re doing! Their allegiance to a coach that has shown nothing is weird!

Players Will recognize that and (unless overpaying) if they have other options will go to another team instead.

Jets/Knicks/ Mets idk which organization is #1 in ineptitude. I just so happen to be a fan of all and I just don’t know anymore. :(:(

stinkyB likes this.
  7. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

John Idzik would like a word.

stinkyB likes this.
  8. JustinDaseezin

JustinDaseezin Active Member

Best move for both parties. But now with the roster we have, I don't think it possible to put up more than 13 against Miami. No running threat. No passing threat. No deep threat. Just Crowder. We're going to be seeing blitzes all day. My prediction is 23 - 0. Gase gets fired.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Why is this an allegiance to the coach? I was at a loss for the first few weeks of this season as to why Gase is still here, but after thinking it over and watching Bell get cut, it really does not matter to me anymore.

Gase is losing. The Jets are losing. We are in a prime spot to potentially secure the #1 pick in the draft. The same draft that an amazing QB prospect is entering, Trevor Lawrence. Douglas did not sign Bell and as much as I loved him as a leader, it was not a good signing considering he has lacked the burst he used to have. Darnold has not shown any growth in three years and has continued to make the same mistakes he made all throughout college and in his rookie year. Douglas drafted one of the best rated tackles in the game right now. Our other tackle is having a great season. Our newly signed guard is also having a very good season. Mimms has not started a game as of yet and Perrine is likely due to start carrying the ball more, now that Bell is gone.

We have 10 picks in the 2021 draft. We have a TON of cap room. If Gase continues to lose, which he will, he will be fired at the end of a horrendous season. Douglas will have his choice for a head coach and we will walk into the draft with a surplus of picks, 4 picks in the first two rounds, a ton of money, and a new head coach.

I am not concerned at all as to why he is still here. The longer he is here, the more we will lose. Which works in our best interest for the future

Red Menace and K'OB like this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I can't wait for the extra special Gase one of these.

Please make it a good one when the time comes.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  11. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Hard for me not to think ex: Jamal Adams, Robby, Bell wouldn't have been able to work here under a different coach. You can say contract disputes but it really seems like he wanted them gone and he got his way!

ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  12. Falco21

How about the idea that Douglas wanted them gone?

From all the reports, Douglas tried to resign Robby Anderson. He also worked his ass off to sign Jamal Adams. Robby wanted $10+ million when we have a TON of other holes on this roster. Not to mention he is not a true #1 WR. Jamal Adams, well he speaks for himself. Getting rid of him is part of the reason why we have the picks we do.

Bell? Well, he was not signed by Douglas and has done absolutely nothing for us. He is an older running back that is not in the future plans.

Why is it that Gase is getting his way and Douglas has no balls? Why is it not that Douglas has a future in mind and does not control Gase but is hedging his bets on Gase getting fired at the end of the season? Why is it not that Douglas has a much bigger picture in mind and all of the guys you listed are not in that picture? Especially when we would have had to tie $42 million to a #2 WR and a Safety.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Intentional tanking is the only logical explanation at this point...... While Bell is definitely NOT the player we all hoped for, there's NO WAY anyone on earth who was watching on Sunday could actually believe Gore is the better option of the 2.... JUST LOSE BABY :confused:

Jets79 likes this.
  14. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

The deconstruction of this team started in the 2019 offseason and it continues on. I’m not even a little bit surprised by this move.

With that said, the bigger issue, as has been mentioned, is that history is repeating itself with Adam Gase:

Losing + destroying a quarterback + high profile players being shown the door.

I would like to believe that Douglas sees this as well and that he’s simply biding his time until he can convince the Johnsons to fire Gase. It’s also entirely possible that he’s in way over his head.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

This was a favor to Bell. He was not going to help this team, he is on the back half of his career and was not part of the rebuild.

Let him go now and let him find a team that can use him. This was a ni hard feelings move and a favor that benefits both sides.

16. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Falco - Serious question and not being a dick. Do you question ANY move that Douglas has made? Do you think he has done ANYTHING wrong to this point or do you agree with EVERY MOVE made so far? Again I am really not trying to pick a fight I am just curious.....

17. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

We couldn't give Robby 2 years $20-22 million to stay but are perfectly cool with paying Lev $8 million to go play for another team.

That's how you do business.

18. Falco21

Big time.

I wish he made more moves in the draft and free agency to grab a couple more receivers.
    I did not like how the Ryan Kalil signing ended up. That was a fail.
    The Osemele situation likely should have been handled better, but I fault a lot of that at Osemele.

None of these are franchise altering moves that have had any real impact on the future and where the direction of this team is hopefully headed

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This isn't as big of a deal as the initial reactions to it last night were. This team is an absolute dumpster fire and is stripped down to nothing. Fire the coach, accumulate cap space and picks for the next one and build it back up.

It seems impossible because the franchise has been awful for a decade but NFL rebuilds are not 4-5 year processes like the MLB or NHL are. They can be done rather quick with two good drafts and a couple key free agency signings.

The Bills were a gutterball of a franchise for 15 years and are .500 or better for the past 5/7 years which will include three playoff appearances including this year and maybe a division title. The Rams were awful from 2006-2016 and suddenly draft a QB and get a better coach and they're a playoff team every year. The 49ers the same. The Browns - jesus their entire franchise has been awful since the 80s and they're in a revival because they stacked blue chip talent and draft picks and now have elite players on both sides of the ball.

It's not impossible, folks. It's just going to be frustrating if you're trying to watch competitive Jets football this year. Focus on your fantasy teams and enjoying football this year - not the Jets.

JetBlue likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

None of this is wrong, but what gives you even the slightest iota of hope that the Jets can do it correctly? Last time we had a chance to hire the right head coach, we hired the worst head coach possible and destroyed our franchise QB while at the same time, running talent out of town and building a roster to fit an offense that can't succeed in the NFL. The GM we currently have was semi-complicit in that. And of course... everyone will still be answering to a trust fund baby that views owning a football franchise as a hobby.

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.