Joe Douglas Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Oct 11, 2020.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

No, Douglas should have recognized that Anderson in particular would blow up after leaving Gase. That's the sort of thing good GMs do.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

He released offensive lineman who are now starting for other teams while replacing them with crap o lineman throughout free agency. Our O Line still stinks.

He traded away a pro bowl defensive leader, an All Pro and future HOF Adams to a real SB contender and for a once 6th overall pick we'll receive two late round 1sts (who will probably both bust). Our defense is absolutely trash now.

He let a home grown gem of an undrafted and now a top 5 WR land with the Panthers in FA and gave Sam Darnold a former first round bust in PERRIMAN.

Outside of Becton his entire draft class looks like dog crap.

He just released an All Pro Le'Veon Bell all because his offensive line still stinks.

He only walked away with Denzel freaking Mims during one of the deepest WR draft class ever. Reminds me of the draft Idzik walked away with Amaro.

He's 0-5 as GM and has made us 10x worse roster wise.

To make it worse? He supports Adam Gase (releasing Bell goes to show).

CJ Mosley imo wanted no part of JD and HIS Jets.

We still have no outside pass rushers. No CBs. No defense. No O Line. No WRs. No RBs and allowed Gase to run away Bell and sign his boy old man Frank Gore.

Joe Douglas must go. He's the worst I've ever seen.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think you could be any more wrong. I think you're letting your frustration and emotions overwhelm your rational thinking and knowledge of the game. You'd better hope that you're wrong and that I'm right that Douglas isn't to blame for this mess, because if you're right, then there's no hope for the Jets, and Petrozza might as well shut this site down because next year, it will either be unbearable to come here and read all the negativity and vitriol and irrationality, or there will be maybe 5 guys here still posting.

4. I knew this was coming as early as 2018. Didnt matter who the GM or coach was. If Darnold Faltered & the 2020 season was the same old crap this fan base was going into complete crisis mode. They had been pointing to 2020 being “the year” since 2016.Its here & we still have deplorable talent & no identity.

This past offseason was the last shot to surround Sam w help,give him some infrastructure to get a clean eval on him. Once JD took ashtyn Davis & prioritized leverage w a disgruntled safety over helping Sam..it was clear this was headed nowhere good.

Ive already soured on JD bc its pretty clear based on what we’ve seen & what his buddies in the media have said that this guy doesnt value offensive skill. Im on record & you already know this being one of my friends on this board that in my estimation this team will not get back on track until they enter the new millenoum in terms of legit boundary talent. Based on this,it should come as no surprise how i feel about this GM.I dont agree w his philosophies & dont trust his ability to execute

5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

People are way too attached to a washed up RB who never did anything here and it's clouding people's judgment about who's making these decisions.

6. NCJetsfan

Who are his buddies who have said that Douglas doesn't value offensive skill players? I haven't seen any of those articles. Please point me to them. If that's true, then I'm bailing on Douglas and the Jets.

7. NCJetsfan

Seriously? No GM can predict what a player is going to do on another team. Douglas may have thought that Anderson could improve in a different offense with a different team, but even if he did, what good would it do to keep Anderson, if he couldn't fire Gase, and Gase was still going to be here this year and hamstring Anderson?

8. HomeoftheJets

Becuase Anderson is playing like a number one receiver, and if it isn't a fluke, then we could have had a cheap number one receiver next season after Gase is gone.

9. NCJetsfan

At the time Douglas had to make a decision on Anderson, there were no guarantees that Gase would be gone next season. If Gase flat out said that he didn't Anderson and didn't plan to use him, Douglas should have signed him anyway and paid him to sit and do nothing? Gase would have then gone to C. Johnson and said that Douglas wasn't supporting him and was forcing players upon him. As stupid as C. Johnson is, he may have sided with Gase over Douglas.

10. HomeoftheJets

Yes, that's exactly what Douglas should have done. Grow some balls and do what's best for the team, even if it causes a rift with the worst coach in the league.

Jets79 likes this.
  11. Bucky Brooks,Todd Mcshay & Daniel Jeremiah all said repeatedly leading up to last draft that taking a WR/skill early or even highly prioritizing it is not how JD wants to build a team. Then when you factor in both the Ravens & Bears where he came from w how those teams have traditionally looked at those positions..it al starts adding up where this thing is headed.

Get ready for QB & OL being the only offensive positions JD gives a damn about.Sorry that doesnt excite me & i doubt it does you either.

#171 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2020
  12. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Only if you go with him.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Unless that 0-16 dumpster fire represents the 'starting point' of his GM career.

And that dumpster fire gives JD enormous fire power to rebuild/reshape the entire jet offence and defense in record time.

There were a few players that were a threat to that dumpster fire. Robbie Anderson for one. Robbie's contract demand came at a perfect time. Robbie's gone, and so is the threat of Robbie winning a handful of meaningless games, which would destroy JD's dream of getting Trevor as HIS QB. No, Robbie had to go.

JD's genius plan doesn't require the 2020 jets to finish 0-16. It just requires the 2020 Jets to get the first overall pick. EVERY GM's dream is to have THEIR OWN star QB on a rookie contract. Having his own QB really puts HIS stamp on the team. I don't think JD saw Sam's first 2 seasons and thought "WOW!!! That's my man". JD sees Sam as a cow on ice who's good at times, but not good enough all the time to be his star QB going forward. Sam's gotta go too.

Jamal was the other threat to ruin his Trevor plan. JD messed with Jamal just enough to anger him, and get him to start making crazy demands. And just like that threat #2 is off the team, and in his place is a boat load of good draft pics to round out his vision.

CJ Mosley was the last threat. CJ escaped the executioner by opting out. For JD, this was perfect. He'll still have CJ on his team for yrs 2 and 3 of his rebuild, but CJ won't be on the field this season to mess up JD's Trevor dream.

JD's Trever vision was obvious in his first draft. Instead of surround Sam with weapons NOW, JD used his first draft getting 'other talent', like punters and backup QB. Teams need those positions too, so why not get them now, and leave the 'weapons' for another draft. JD didn't want to risk getting a 'weapon' in the 3rd or 4th round that turns out to be better than advertised and gets us a few extra wins.

And Gase? For JD, Gase is the perfect fall guy for his first dumpster fire season. And it's working beautifully. Every scribe in sports has been calling for Gase's head. And they'll have it soon enough.

And JD will round out his evil genius plans for HIS team. The best young QB on rookie deal. HIS new HC that will report to HIM. And tons of great draft pics and plenty of salary cap to make his vision complete.

JD's Jets will be playing for the ring in the 2022 and 2023 SuperBowls.

And Gase, Sam, Robbie, Jamal, and Le'veon Bell will be watching from their livingrooms

#173 Footballgod214, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  14. HomeoftheJets

Well this pretty much guarantees Douglas will be a bust.

dawinner127 and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Thanks. You're right. Not only would that not excite me, but it would be idiotic, and again, if that's the case, then I'll be done with him and the Jets for good. I'm going to wait and see if they're right, however.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

If what those writers said is true, then yes, it does, but that could be pure speculation on their part. I'm going to wait and see who he signs in FA and who he drafts.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sure could. JD could have been satisfied with Gase/Sam etc and been happy with a series of finishes 8-8, 9-7, 8-8, 9-7, maybe get lucky with a PO appearance.

But JD saw a complete dumpster fire of a roster, and Trevor Lawrence sitting there just waiting for a team to tank.

You tell me which vision JD's pursuing. Every move JD has made has weakened the 2020 Jets, while adding draft capital to the equation.

18. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I appreciate that we are tanking properly

19. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

For anyone who watched South Park, there is an episode where the kids playing in little league tried their best to lose, so they wouldn’t have to go in to the state competitions and thus, ruin their summer vacation.

The “best” teams were the ones who were able to lose first.

JD can’t say he was or is trying to lose. Last year it was an open secret that the dolphins were desperate to get that number one pick and they sucked at it. They made the mistake of hiring a competent coach.

JD was never planning on Lawrence, but his plan to build a line for Sam and keep the team non competitive enough to get a high pick, gather draft picks, and build around him is working TOO well. He is going for the jugular now, and he already signaled to CJ to keep Gase around. Gase has lost the team and they have no interest in playing hard for him.

the last issue we have is Sam playing better by accident and the team trying in the last few games to not go 0-16. These are possibilities that can foil the Lawrence play, but the Giants and Falcons are generally more talented and are better coached so that goes both ways.

JD may end up being a shitty talent evaluator, and if so we are screwed and he has to go. To be upset about anyone we get rid of this year makes no sense. Enjoy the rest of the league and come back in two years when things start to turn around.
    If we get lucky, and this Lawerence kid is mahomes and we hit on some picks we may be halfway decent next year, but this trash heap is going to take time to fix. If we hit in a coach we may get even luckier.
    I became a fan when the Jets went with kotite and have been through some horrible and some fun ERAs, but things will turn around.

NYJetsO12, SOJAZ, dmw and 2 others like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this is completely asinine

NYJalltheway likes this.