Missed opportunity = mediocrity

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Rockinz, Jan 10, 2020.

1. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

True but also think about if we bring in a new HC. All the NYJ fans out there that have that Fire the coach now attitude as soon as they start to look bad jump all over the guy as soon as we start losing. And we will given our schedule and lack of talent. I'm not suggesting you are on of them, as I've had good intelligent conversations with you. But you know the fans I'm talking about. They will call for his job the first sign they see. Add to that we just fired an HC after one year (granted he was proven trash before he got here). Not you have a coach scared for his job hassled by fans who have no clue how to evaluate a coach.

On top of that some coaches won't come here due to lack of talent and the short shelf life of coaches. I just think our best hope going forward is Gase shows what he is this year and Douglas begins to mold the team to his vision now. Draft players now for the future. Next year bring in your coach. Hell he may like Williams (I don't like him as an HC), fire Gase 8 games in and find Williams and OC worth a crap next year. But I firmly believe it is in our best interest to wait.

#41 J-Raw24, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. I actually think the Jets is a good job to take.Top facilities, clueless gullible owners & nowhere to go but up.If you ever reach a level of success you’re a legend.

The issue isnt the job itself it’s who the hiring body choose for the Job.Same w GM.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I have to strongly disagree about that fans would scream for the new HC's firing after one season (or less). The situation with Gase is apples and oranges to that. He came here with 3 years as a HC and a reputation as an offensive genius, but quickly proved that he is no such thing, and he's showing the same mistakes he made in Miami. A new HC would get a much longer leash than Gase did IMO.

As for Williams, he'd be on my short list, but I'm not ready to give him the job just yet. That said, knowing the players and the organization already is a big plus. If they could find a good OC to go with him, maybe.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't think I'm that far off. Game one we lost Mosely and the Bills came back scoring 17 in the 4th qtr. Otherwise I think we win that game (you do too). And if Mosely and Herndon were both on the field and playing well, no way we lose to the Bengals and Fish. Those 3 wins right there with nothing else sends Gase to the POs while Josh Allen watches from home.

I'm not saying Gase is great and we should keep him. Just saying losing those few players was the difference between POs and sitting home.

5. Footballgod214

Those who think Gase is a lame duck, walking dead, you could be right but it will have far more to do with how well Darnold plays in year 3 (years 2 of Gase's offense) against a much tougher schedule. IF Sam takes that step we were looking for this year, Gase ain't going anywhere.

Cman68 likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Well said. It’s such a losers way to think “well we’ll give him one more shot”. 8-8 or 9-7 is worse than 2-14 in the new NFL. It’s the absolute recipe for mediocrity.

Owners need to take a page out of Seattle’s ownership model.

Management need to take a page out of SF style of being bad and playing their youth to see what they have and make trades, add depth FA and taking the best player on the board with Bosa.

Coaching staff need to take a page out of John Harbaugh’s philosophy and play to your players strengths and executing the game plan. Instead of guys like Gace who is too self centred and ignorant to use his players in a system that influenced the play calling instead of play calling that play to their players strength. Look at Baltimore they went from Flacco a pure pocket passing QB to Lamar that is about power football and the run game.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Made a huge difference in the first half of the first Bills game. Shut them out. Then the 4th qtr happened. So ya, I think having Mosely on the field the whole season would have made a good defense even better.

8. Rockinz

Bump*

It looks like that 7-10 coaching openings is likely.

Houston
    Atlanta

NYJ
    Detroit
    Denver
    Jax

possibly
    Washington (Ron’s health)
    Chargers
    Cinci

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sadly the JETS position is one of the LEAST appealing on that list

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

That’s what the Knicks have pushed for years. Smart executives know to stay the hell away from NY outside the Yankees.

11. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

All of those jobs are more attractive than this dump.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. You didn't make any new points. My original point still stands. Just bc they cant hire anyone competent doesn't mean that a good coach wouldn't have success here.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  13. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

If taking 100 cuts and being dipped in a tub of vinegar was on that list, the Jets would STILL be the least appealing option. These jackass owners have made this an "only at gunpoint" position.

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Mediocrity is the understatement of the year.

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

That may be a bit extreme

16. Footballgod214

But only one open spot will have Trevor Lawrence, Mecki Becton, CJ Mosely, 3 more 1st round picks, and TONS of cap space.

Rockinz likes this.
  17. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

It occurs to me that the Jets would be a much more attractive Head Coaching job if they had kept Todd Bowles for two more years instead of hiring Gase. Their W-L record wouldn't be any worse, Darnold's development probably wouldn't be any better, but it couldn't be any worse. Bowles lifelessness, as ineffective as it is/was, wouldn't have run off the best players and sucked the morale out of the rest of them.

Then again, maybe JD wouldn't be the GM. If it was somebody else, who knows if that's better or worse. If Mac was still here, which would make sense if Bowles was still here, probably worse.

Perhaps the best thing would have been to keep Bowles on more year, and hire JD and his HC of choice last summer so we would be on the upswing right now instead of bottoming out. Yeah, that's what I'd do. Benefits of hindsight and all that....

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We should've fired Rex and Tanny so that we could hire Reid. There's a HC who had the accomplishments to justify hiring right after Philly canned him.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We already had a problem with no quality head coaches wanting to work for the Johnsons. Now after the dumpster fire of Adam Gase and our amateur run organisation we are looking squarely at another rookie HC or another Gase type cast off.

20. Rockinz

Agreed! Hopefully we can lure a big fish!