Hypothetical question: What if the Jets do not finish 0-16 and/or not receive the #1 overall pick?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Oct 13, 2020.

1. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

This interesting scenario could use its own thread imo. Taking a look at all the reasonable probs. for #1 pick:

Falcons: need QB
    Washington: need QB
    Giants: 1/2 need QB
    Lions: 1/2 need QB
    Vikings: 1/2 need QB
    Bengals: Don't need
    Chargers: Don't need
    Denver: need QB
    Jax: need QB

So I don't think you can get Falcons, WFT, Jax, or Denver to trade.

Giants, Vikes, and Lions may trade and Bengals/Chargers definitely trade.

Jets are 1/2 need IMO.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we trade Trevor Lawrence I’ll loose my mind. That would be the absolute dumbest thing we have ever done and that’s a tall order.

BomberJet and Borat like this.
  3. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

I feel like this question will be answered by whoever Douglas hires in January. if the new coach doesn't like Sam he's likely gone. If the new coach sees what seamingly everyone but gase sees then they will build aorund him. If i am Douglas and they go this route, extend him this year. His value is low, take advantage.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

If Jets don't get Lawrence, but are close and #1 team is willing to trade the pick, we need to get it. That's where Adams trade will pay for itself. If that is not an option though, there is one other enticing QB option: Fields. Fields had a monster year last year, even better than Suck for Sam year for Sam. If Fields can replicate that and show consistency, while Sam doesn't drastically improve, Jets might have to pull the trigger on Justin if he is still there.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In the NFL you are in the Shitter without a Superstar QB...I mean Sam is our Fail Safe/Big Question Mark

I think Vilma Borat and others have it right go get Lawrence and let pieces fall where they may

Douglas has accumulated Chips for the Next Poker Game ...let's put them to use!

Borat likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put much into the o-line. becton is a stud. fant has been good and locked in for a couple more years. Lewis and mcgovern are solid and locked in a couple more years. it's really GVR that's trash but he played well last sunday. maybe he will come around? we also have clarke to develop and mcdermott looked good subbing in for becton/edoga. I'd look to grab maybe a project lineman in the 4th or later at this point and probably scrap edoga.

I think the main concern right now is WR. also grab a RB in the mid rounds. then load up on edge and CB. with our 1st 6 picks (assuming we trade down and have an early 1st, late 1st, 2 early 2nds, early 3rd, late 3rd) I'd get edge 1st if rousseau is there. then go 2 WR and 1 CB the next 3 picks. that still gives us a late 3rd if a good edge/CB/RB even lineman slips down. Load up the talent aorund sam. we'll also have money to spend in a good year for free agency. it's a buyers market this year with the cap dropping and lots of teams in cap trouble. so good but overpaid players will shake loose and be had for cheaper. could get a vet WR there too. then we would have a vet FA WR, crowder, mims, 2 rookies (if not 3) and maybe keep smith and berrios. periman can go as can hogan. we already cut morgan too. I wouldn't mind looking at a TE. griffin needs to go. not high on wesco and herndon needs some competition and try to return to rookie form

7. GasedAndConfused

browns are 3-1 with baker, colts are 3-1 with past prime rivers, titans are 3-0 with tannehil, rams are 3-1 with goff, bears are 4-0 with tru/foles,
    Sam is better then all those QBs right now

Ill Will and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Lol no he isn't. RT is a top 5-7 QB in the league right now.

9. GasedAndConfused

I don't think Den or Jax take a QB. Den seems happy with lock and Jax seems happy with minshew. I also don't think gettleman gives up on jones yet.
    Lions, falcons and vikes don't need immediate QB but could move on from their vets as theya re aging and sit a rookie behind them for a year. I think wash needs it the most with those 3 not far behind

10. GasedAndConfused

he hada really good year last year with not turning it over. but they are winning with a run game and defense. he also has some good WRs. tannehill on the jets would be worse then sam. and sam on the titans they would be better

Ill Will likes this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Homer alert! Sam has to prove he is better. Right now he is rated the worst starting QB in NFL. Tannehill has done A LOT better under the same coach and led NFL in passer rating last year. Goff took his team to SB. Let's be a little bit realistic here and not overestimate Sam.

dawinner127 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

And Mayfield is better than Sam in 2020. He's not elite, but he's nowhere near as bad as he was last year.

dawinner127 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. thirtyoddfreestyle

thirtyoddfreestyle Well-Known Member

Sam might stilll be good. Just look at tannehill.. Adam gase deserves to be a fresh direct delivery guy. Otherwise. We can get Mariota

14. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

If we don't get the first pick, then we're in a world of hurt. We need to either draft Lawrence or get the king's ransom that the trade for the spot would net us.

This is one time that being truly awful is what the Jets need to be more than anything else. Which is why I know they'll blow it and win a game or two.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

all those Qbs have better coaching and better weapons. that's why the numbers are skewed. they aren't better then sam. Sam on the browns is a top 10 QB.

ColoradoContrails and BomberJet like this.
  16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

It would be the most jets thing ever if the jets went 0-16 and the giants went 0-16 and they got lawrence..... but given how much of a toss up the NFC East is, Giants will win 2-3 games on effort alone, and the Falcons will win now that they gave Quinn the boot (seems like all teams play better when coaches get canned).

Jets to me are in the drivers seat to secure the 0-16 that they crave. Only thing I would be concerned about is Lawrence staying in school because of how bad the jets are and how much local/national press we are getting for being terrible.