Horror Flick Fans: List Your Faves (Made For TV/Sci-Fi Mixes Welcome) & Critique Away

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 28, 2017.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Well, that was fun.

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

The shining —- my all time favorite

Original Texas chainsaw massacre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. jetophile

'The Taking of Deborah Logan'. I'll tell you all what I liked about it and I'll tell you what I hated about it. Final rating: 2.5 stars out of 4 stars.

What I liked about it was the main actress, she was very good given the shitty script and the sparse dialogue assigned to her. The premise was excellent: a woman with early-stage Alzheimer's deteriorates at an alarming rate. Is it the manifestation of the disease or is something else taking over? The last 5 minutes is the best part of the movie. When the main character starts chomping on the head of a little girl with cancer she abducted from the hospital and starts to almost swallow her like a snake, haha, Holy Shit.

Now for what I hated about it. The shamelessly overused trope that everyone and their grandmother uses since the original advent of 'The Blair Witch Project': the whole movie within a movie thing. It can work, but not here. They are filming inside the afflicted woman's house for most of the movie and no one ever thinks to turn the fucking lights on? As in ever?

One of the cameramen was OK (the one who gets completely freaked out and leaves), but the girl doing her thesis fucking sucked. The daughter is pretty good, too, but her relationship with her mother is a cardboard cutout. We don't really know anything about her except that she's gay (yawn). And surprise! What's going on has to do with a Satanist (yawn)!

Anyway, such wasted potential and if only someone who didn't have Alzheimer's was at the helm of this film, oh, what could have been. Bad joke, I know; but I found myself becoming beyond irritated precisely because it's such a heartbreaking subject. If the main character's life had been explored more (she was obviously a very graceful person before being stricken), if they had filled her out more as a person, the stress that it causes the people around them, the fear and paranoia as the afflicted in their lucid moments realize that they're losing their mind, it could have packed a wallop.

I recommend it only for the spotty times that it really works.

4. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Ha!!! Same here!!! I was like, WTF????

Savatage likes this.
  5. jetophile

I saw this priceless jewel this morning for probably the 10th time. 'The Gorgon', haha, what a cheese fest. Wait until you see the head, it makes the whole plodding, clumsy movie worth it.

Faux machine likes this.
  6. UK jet

UK jet Member

The Enfield haunting is good,a 3 part TV series and the film 'conjuring 2 'which is based on the series
    Also the last few Jets seasons have been quite scary

7. jetophile

Hmmmm, I just looked that up! Sounds good! I'll pirate it, just like everything else! Thanks!

Yes, the Jets can strike terror in the hearts of men for sure.

[​IMG]

Royal Tee, Jets_Grinch and UK jet like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Currently watching The Haunting of Bly Manor. It is not as scary as The Haunting of Hill House (at least yet) but it is a well made show.

Royal Tee and Jets_Grinch like this.
  9. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

Watched poltergeist with my kids, I hadn’t realized by youngest looks exactly like Carol Ann with curly hair. My girlfriend picked children of the corn which she had never seen. Going down the King rabbit hole now.

10. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Just a reminder, TCM is entering full on Halloween mode. Tons of older horror almost daily. Suggest getting the PVR going.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's a trio of modern space horror films worth watching:

1. Pandorum - 2 astronauts wake up on a hulk with no idea how they got there. Dennis Quaid fans will like this one.

2. Life - a sample of primitive life is returned from a Mars survey mission. The ISS is the quarantine zone to study it. High budget, well scripted and shivery.

3. Event Horizon - the deep system explorer Event Horizon goes missing with it's crew. 5 years later it suddenly starts sending an automated distress call from Jupiter. Lawrence Fishburne and Sam Neill highlight a star-studded cast.

All 3 of these kept me watching until the end, a rare event in these days of poorly scripted shlock.

IDFjet likes this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Event Horizon looks scary as fuck. I'd love to watch it the wife would never sit through it.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Event Horizon is like Cthulu in SPAAAAAACE!!!!

If you want to watch it you're going to have to do it after midnight when the wife is asleep. Turn the lights off and roll up a towel for the moments when a blood-curling scream would wake the dead and the wife.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do it, fantastic movie.

Shame you Americans don't like overly scary movies as there is loads of stuff chopped out of this movie and I am not sure it even exists anymore.

There were loads of scenes about where the ship had ended up (hell) gory torture/sex stuff, you get some brief flashes of it in the movie.

Bloody test audiences spoil everything lol

15. Dierking

Our current reality is overly scary in a lot of ways now. No need to escape to it.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Yes plenty of virus horrors, looks like one finally come true.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Watched TFTC's "Demon Knight" today. Was surprised how good a movie it was. I wouldn't give out any Oscars, but it should become a cult classic.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

From 1995? I think I watched that before.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Didn’t do anything for me, let us know how you liked it or not.

20. Dierking

Yeah, watched it the other night, very creepy but the trailer was scarier than the movie.

Red Menace likes this.