George Fant Love!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Clark is likely that road grader type guy....

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can't say I saw a lot of him but everything all his highlight tapes say is that he could struggle in space but he's a big powerful human being. He looks like he has left guard written all over him.

3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I agree--in 2016 I wanted Cody Whitehair who went to the Bears at #56 and has had decent career. NYJ picked Hackenburg at #51.

James Hasty likes this.
  4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Are these guys really this bad OR is it the OLine coaching that sucks..?

5. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

THAT is a great question. I’m leaning towards the coach sucking. People don’t realize how great Bill Callahan was while he was here years ago.
    Not a great comparison example, but with the exception of Isiah Wynn, Patriots have never spent a premium draft pick on the OLine. Dante Scarnaccia coached UDFAs and 5th rounders to the Pro Bowl.
    Baltimore Philly == great Olines, maybe we can pry an assistant coach over here considering Joe Douglas background.

K'OB and Cman68 like this.
  6. wewantsapp

Great quote. 100%. Every time I hear/see David DeCastro mentioned I want to practically cry. Someone sneaked Quinton Coples name onto the draft card at the last second in the spring of 2012. Probably was RRyan.

James Hasty likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If you saw my old posts, I was pounding the table for him so hard during that draft.

wewantsapp likes this.
  8. wewantsapp

I recall very clearly sitting on a barstool hoping for DeCastro or Melvin Ingram to hear “Quinton Coples!”

James Hasty likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Since blaming Douglas who’s had 1 full offseason to his name is now popular, can he get some love for this pickup? Everyone including myself didn’t think he was anything more than a swing tackle. While the interior part of the offensive line is a work in progress, we seem to be set at tackles this year and think Fant should certainly be kept for next year.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The OLine Coach is the common denominator here...Change out the players and the problem continues, you have to look at what wasn't changed for an answer.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Logan Mankins and Nate Solder were first round picks - Sebastian Volmer a second rounder.

You're right to an extent though. But the sweet spot for offensive lineman (specifically interior offensive lineman) is the mid second to the end of the third and maybe into the early fourth. We don't touch them in those rounds. That's why we have garbage offensive lineman. The only two drafted players we have on the roster are rookies.

We could also help ourselves out immensely by stop finding these loser head coaches and keep some continuity so we can draft offensive lineman (and players in general) that fit the scheme. You can have nobodies at guard and center if you run an outside zone and they're good at doing just that. Look at the 49ers and Vikings.

#31 Jonathan_Vilma, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Agreed, but its not the only thing that hasn't changed. The HC, his scheme and what they are being asked to do remains the same as well.

Cman68 likes this.
  13. wewantsapp

Perhaps I should not have used the word “never”. Nate Solder is 2011 most recent. But you get the point.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes. The only reason I don't like them as an example is because they have seemingly always gotten away with holding calls that get flagged against other teams. There's no doubt that Scharneccia is the best in the game though and elevates his lineman's play by the way he coaches. He should be in the HOF as well.

I think it can be a mix of both though. We plucked a Cowboys assistant to coach our offensive line and he honestly should be fired if he's still the coach. He has three All-Pro's there that would've been All-Pro players if you or I coached them.

We need an overhaul of both coaching and scouting in the OL department. We changed GM's and philosophies this year and so far it hasn't really worked beyond Becton (who we should hit on - he was the first round pick). Fant's been solid. Clark should play over VR or Lewis when healthy. Andrew should be given a shot as well (he was OK at RT in spot duty the last couple weeks).