George Fant Love!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

George Fant has committed 0 penalties and has a <0.5% pressure rate allowed. He is one of 4 currently in the league with those numbers.

Him and Becton are kicking ass!

IDFjet, Brook!, BudJet and 8 others like this.
  2. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The sunnysider optimist in me says great, he looks like a reasonable signing; the miserable darksider counters with the interior is so shit the opposition D has already got to the QB so that's why he has no pressures.

I do think he's been ok so far in pass pro at least.

SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Fant has been fine, far better than I thought he'd be but at the time it was assumed he was our starting LT not RT. Shockingly, the career backup and rookie are kicking ass on the outside and the vets on the inside have been terrible. I think I saw that McGovern was rated the 2nd worst starting C in the league so far (ironically his replacement in Denver was the only one worse).

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yup. The interior has been dreadful. Interior offensive line should be in play for our late first or second round pick. I wish we took Biadasz. He's getting the start this weekend by way of injury for Dallas.

It's a shame because there is a glut of free agent centers this off-season. I counted about 10. I've never seen that before - it's usually one or two. But we're pretty much stuck with McGovern. And we need two new guards.

Jerryjeudy and barfolomew like this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Career backup is probably not an accurate term for a guy who has gone from UDFA position changer to good swing tackle to FA starter. That’s more like a clear growth pattern.

6. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I believe he came to football late as well. Former basketball player I think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think two new guards would help McGovern out plenty. He's not a super strong guy and he's not all that big, he needs the people around him playing well so that he can just do his job. Van Roten has been dreadful which I think makes McGovern look worse.

That's kinda my point. He's never been a full time starter until now. My expectations were pretty low as I think were most peoples'.

FJF likes this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe we'll land Myers from Ohio State and push McGovern to a guard spot.

9. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Never too early to talk about this. I think I still want a receiver with our first No. 1, but I'd love a center with our second and a guard in round two.

Depends how high we are picking, of course, and how Sam does the rest of the year.

Brook! and RochesterJet like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

McGovern is better at C than he is at OG, and he likes C better, said it feels more natural to him. I think we're better off getting two new OGs and leaving him at C at least for another season. Hopefully, Clark will take one of the starting OG spots and be a clear upgrade.

Royal Tee, RochesterJet and SOJAZ like this.
  11. MaximusD163

I think I would rather upgrade at C. I doubt McGovern would be worse than Van Roten.

12. MaximusD163

Came to football late, and played TE briefly in college.

13. MaximusD163

I would say
    My expectations were guarded, but I watched him in the Seattle V Philadelphia playoff game after they signed him. He did well at LT vs a good Eagles defensive line. I know it’s one game but I liked what I saw in the big spot.

14. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Fantpionship!

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This team really needs a road grader guard to pull the whole thing together. Thune would have been a huge get if he wouldn’t have been tagged.

Jonathan_Vilma and MoWilkBeast like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Fant has been playing really well in pass pro and hasn't had a penalty. I'd say when healthy the only weak link on the o-line is van roten. I'm hoping her can be replaced next year maybe by clark or moving edoga to OG. mcdermott looked good to in press duty so maybe he can overtake GVR. the o-line if they can stay healthy looks good. we need to add some WRs badly though and get some defense. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting up to 3 WRs with 2 of them in the 1st 3 rounds and 1 more later on

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Lewis sucks too. But Van Roten should 100% be on the bench after a quarter of the season. They didn't make a big investment in him either.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Lewis is playing great on the run and solid for pass pro. i'm sure becton playing next to him helps but still. i have no issues with lewis. he's been solid. you can't have all pro's everywhere. GVR is garbage though

IDFjet and Jerryjeudy like this.
  19. MaximusD163

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Cam Clark in there when healthy.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I don't know how many times I have heard that you shouldn't draft guards in round one or two because "you can always find them in later rounds".

How has that plan been working out for our beloved Jets so far?

I wouldn't mind using our second or third pick on a guard with all pro potential.

wewantsapp likes this.