Would you coach me? I’d coach me...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Houston does not have a very good roster situation right now either. But they have the much needed quarterback prize. Agreed that they need to break that thing down but having a QB like Watson that can potentially carry them to 7-9's will ease the pain as they might do so.

Their offense is also underperforming and the system they're trying to run makes no sense. The Hopkins trade was bad but they should be using David Johnson to setup the play action passing and sending the ball deep to Fuller and Stills to open up the underneath passing game. Hopkins is a big loss but they've rewritten their offense as if they had an 11 man turnover. It's strange.

I'd have to imagine Houston brings in both a GM and HC. But the HC can yield a lot of power there. We'll see. I think Watson is the key.

And Atlanta just needs a change of scenery. Quinn is cooked there. But they still have Matt Ryan who should have a couple years left in him and two All-Pro talent level receivers. The defense has more talent than they display but they're all hurt. Their entire secondary is on the IR.

2. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

This is a bit of an aside and a hypothetical about Atlanta; What if their plan is to go QB in the draft? That could make them higher in the most desirable landing spots for a HC.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I like the approach! Some reactions..

First, it’s obviously a subjective view...so different coaches may have different takes, but for the most part I think people’s ratings would be pretty close.

Second, definitions of those terms may vary from coach to coach...for example, stability can mean what you described, as in the owners give coaches time, or it may mean something different, like how good are the owners rather than do they give a coach time, or how much do they meddle in the day to day, or how much do they insert themselves into asst coaching hire decisions, etc.

Thirdly, different coaches may weigh the different factors differently, and not consider them all to be of the same importance. For example, one coach may value draft capital more than owner stability, or something like that.

but yeah, this is a great way to look at it, and if I were a coaching candidate, these are the factors I would be looking at...

nicely done!

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like this a lot! Great thread and discussion so far!

5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It’s not out of the realm of possibility but unlikely. They could go QB and trade Matt Ryan after the 2021 season. However, to be cap compliant in 2021, they will most likely have to restructure Ryan to kick the can down the road so to speak, and will likely result in an inability to move Ryan for a few years. I also expect Ryan to win them a few too many games to pick top 5.

6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Its kind of interesting that both the Jets and the Texans have in place good situations at the two crown jewels of QB and LT that ordinarily are the hardest things to find.

Also just as an aside I enjoy your posts. Your a real asset to this board. Keep it up.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great post! The low point you mentioned is the roster, but with the draft capital and salary cap health, you can turn over the roster pretty quick.

I think the job itself is desirable, but I am not sure I would want to work with the Johnsons. I would need assurance that they would butt out and let me do my thing as Head Coach and let Joe Douglas do his job as GM. If so, I think a qualified Head Coach would want to come here.

Pepsiguy5, NCJetsfan and MaximusD163 like this.
  8. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

The same was being said about Sam, coaches wanted to come here because of him.
    Then CJ chose Gase and here we are...

9. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Guys, we all know BoB is going to be our HC..

or maybe theyll hire fucking Jason Garrett..

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

The Jets have a desirable job because of the draft capital no doubt. However, it could be soooo much more. Our owners need to hire the right coach and let him “shop for the groceries” that will make the job here even more desirable and more respected to be honest.

We need a numbers guy GM, a coach with an eye for talent that is a leader of men and coordinators that are Xs and Os guys. Jimmy Johnson, Parcels and Belicheck all have multiple rings on their fingers because of this method.

I think this guy can be Jim Harbaugh. Give him the keys and Trevor Lawrence and let’s see what happens

11. MaximusD163

So you want to cut bait with Joe Douglas?

12. Jonathan_Vilma

We tried the numbers guy GM twice with Tannenbaum and Idzik and it lead us down two very bad paths.

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Johnson’s need to drop the whole “were NY everyone wants to come here” mindset. You’ve heard them say similar sentiments in recent years.

It’s holding this team back because it’s simply not the case anymore, coaches and free agents either go where the money is or where winning stability is. Johnson’s fall short in both categories

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Rockinz

If it means we get an elite coach because he wants to pick his own players then YES absolutely.

I also haven’t seen much of anything from his picks besides Becton being a gem. Maybe that’s a little to early to judge but that’s the truth so far.

15. Rockinz

The problem there was someone let the numbers guy pick the players instead of Rex.

I believe we need an excellent negotiator/cap guru numbers GM and let the coach handle his squad

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

To me it comes down to if we have the first pick in the draft or not.....If we have that first pick we will land the top coach....Or Chris Johnson may just make another random hire like a Tom Gable or Norv Turner..You never know with this incompetent idiot.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

So, Harbaugh or Riley?

18. Rockinz

You got it. Those are my number one targets if I’m Johnson and Johnson

19. MaximusD163

Who has that worked for in the modern era besides Belichick?

NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah that's not exactly a winning formula. The Texans just destroyed their roster and 2-3 year future doing this. Let's let the GM be the GM and the HC coach the team.