RIP Eddie Van Halen

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by GREG, Oct 6, 2020.

1. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Damn. RIP.

3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Damn. Knew he wasn’t well. But, f-u 2020.

stinkyB and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  4. RIP.An absolute god & legend.Inspired so many amazing musicians & spawned arguably the last great Rock/metal genre.

Hits home real hard. 1984 changed my life..as did so many other songs/albums

5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Fuckin hate this year

6. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

I remember when that first album came out, I think 1978/9? I was a Junior in high school. It changed everything. Nobody had ever heard a guitar player sound and play like that. For the next 10+ years, every guitarist that followed sounded like a fusion between him and Randy Rhodes. . The first time I heard Eruption, it was like the aliens had landed. There was nothing in my listening experience that prepared me for what he played. It was just mind-boggling. RIP you incredible virtuoso.

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Fuck 2020 is going down as the worst year in history.

Eruption/You Really Got Me was just transcendent. I'm thinking about getting blackout drunk but its only Tuesday

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

First album, first song Running w/ devil launched a new sound in rock. RIP and thanks for everything

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I remember visiting my cousins in LA just about the time the first album was about to be released and they were raving about them. I didn’t immediately take to it. At the time I was more of a Yes and Genesis Fan and thought it was a little too heavy. By the time Women and Children First was released, I was at the record store the day it came out, as I did with Fair Warning and Diver Down

RIP Eddie thanks for some great teenage memories.

Van Halen is probably the only band that I regret I never got to see live. I had tickets in 2012 for a show with DLR back on the tour that cancelled. Did get to see Sammy Hagar live in 84 before he joined the band.

KurtTheJetsFan and Dierking like this.
  10. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

11. Had the exact same thought when i heard the news. I wanted to go to the 2012 tour but when RATT(my all time fav & to whom im a collector of all memoribilia) backed out as opener i stubbornly winced at the ticket price. But you cant put a price on seeing any of these rock legends.Theyre all timeless unicorns who will never be replicated

12. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I got to see Ratt a couple of times in LA clubs in 82/83 before Out of the Cellar came out.
    One of 2 club bands that I was really into before their record deals. The other was Zebra who played on Long Island, frequently and pumped up by WBAB’s Bob Buchmann . Ironically when Zebra was released it became the biggest all time selling debut record on Atlantic Records only to be broken a year later by Out of the Cellar.

13. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

I was more of a BOC guitar guy at that time (buck Dharma still kills it) but damn that debut album by VH was incredible.

14. Amazing stuff thanks for sharing. Zebra is extremely underrated,alot of great songs. Believe it or not i didnt know that about zebra OR OOTC pertaining to Atlantic sales. I knew Ratt was up there all time for the label but didnt know it was quite that impact..same w Zebra.

Im assuming Stones/Zeppelin are exempt from this as it was alittle before they calculated such things.

15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

RIP Eddie VH

A gifted Artist his guitar made your head spin , then those expressions ..so funny

It seems like he enjoyed his Run this lifetime

Poor soul was alcoholic , smoker and with HPV gave him tongue and throat cancer

16. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Only got to saw him once, at what was I think was DLR's last gig with the band (in Europe at least). There's no doubt he was an immense talent. He redefined the rock guitar sound almost overnight. Nobody played like that before and everyone did, or tried to, later. RIP Eddie.

17. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

This year we lost one of the best drummers ever and now one of the best guitarists. Sucks.

stinkyB and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

RIP......

top 3 in history IMO.....along with page and hendrix.

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Definitely one of the greats. I couldn't even pick a top 3 as there are so many great guitarists to choose from. The three you mentioned as well as SRV, Clapton, J. Garcia, BB King, Les Paul just to name some others. I guess it depends on what type of music someone prefers. Van Halen was one of the best bands all time and Eddie was a big part of that.

jilozzo likes this.
  20. Gibbons
    EVH
    Rhoades