Maccagnan phoning Francesca (source included)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

What's worse? 2 terrible drafts + not spending money or 5 terrible drafts + $300m down the drain?

Edit: also Geno Smith > Hackenberg, sadly

#21 Jake, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yes exactly...they are a top recruiting firm in corporate America...I get that.

they know less than squat about football. Why we ever went down that route is beyond me, but the proof is in the pudding. Idzik is the result...and whether Idzik or Mac is the worst GM ever, they are clearly the bottom two.

NCJetsfan and Sack exchange like this.
  3. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Maybe no one else would talk to him. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sack exchange

One we could have gotten, Godwin!!

alleycat9 likes this.
  5. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Francesa: No horse will ever win the triple crown again. I own horses and I know how they’re trained and it’s just not going to happen

American Pharoah and Justify win the triple crown

He knows as much about football as he does about horse racing

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I NEVA SAID DAT!!

7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah, Idzik was a bad GM but Mac was historically bad.

HomeoftheJets and tomdeb like this.
  8. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

Does big Mike not think Mac was a huge failure? Why would he want to be associated with him? If I gave advice to Mac, I wouldn't want anyone to know

tomdeb, dmw and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with all except Watson over Mahomes. I liked Watson. I liked his leadership, poise, his playing at a high level in big games, his mobility, his toughess, and coming from a big-time program. His arm worried me, however. I didn't think, and still don't, that his arm isn't strong enough for NE winters.

I wasn't worried about Mahomes coming from an air raid system at all. He had amazing arm strength, accuracy, mobility, savvy, poise, and I saw HOF potential in him. Most air raid QBs that were drafted were rag arms and not all that accurate. He was totally different. He was the guy I wanted, but knew that Mac would never draft a QB since he had taken Hack the year before. I loved Adams play at LSU, but the only reason I wanted Mac to take him is because I never believed that he'd take Mahomes or Watson. I would have been disappointed with Watson because I didn't think he had the potential that Mahomes had, but I would have been pleasantly surprised that Mac had taken him, pleased that he had taken a QB, and would have rooted like crazy for Watson. I don't Bowles could have ruined Watson or Mahomes, and we probably never would have wound up with Gase if Mac had taken one of Mahomes/Watson.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Both Idzik and Mac sucked. Does it really matter which was worse? Mac at least did a few things right, made a couple of decent moves. Idzik made fewer mistakes simply because he had less time in which to screw up. His first draft where he had something like 12 draft picks was probably THE worst draft of all time. That's the only time the Johnsons quickly realized what a mistake they had made and cut bait.

The bottom line is that both were historically awful and as a result, the Jets' cupboard was bare and it's going to take time to build a roster. It cannot be rushed. Signing older, expensive FAs isn't the answer. Signing expensive players to one-year deals isn't the answer. Building via the draft and using FA to build depth and 2nd tier players and finding an occasional gem in a young, cheap player that another team gave up on is the answer.

#30 NCJetsfan, Oct 1, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Jets79 likes this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Agreed. I was yelling for the Jets to pick Watson. It was clear at that point that Hackenberg had little or no ability. In fact, it was clear to a LOT of people with football knowledge BEFORE Hack was drafted. Anyway, it seemed like a no-brainer to pick Watson. When the fans are better at drafting than the GM, the GM is beyond pitiful.

ColoradoContrails, Jets79 and tomdeb like this.
  12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

absolutely correct--skip the "probably"

Jets79 likes this.
  13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

CH is close to the worst pick in the NFL. HE should have been fired on the spot for that pick. He was not a bust because the Jets are the only team that him ranked that high. Just gross incompetence

14. Sack exchange

As it turned out Mahomes was the right pick, even they knew something and traded up. And probably so ecstatic that QB needy teams like the jets passed him up. Watson would have been fine too, I suppose Macc outsmarted himself and though Hack freshmen yr was outlier, but WRONG!

ColoradoContrails and dmw like this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I still can't believe Mike MacMoron's 2017 draft. He drafts FOUR DBs and THREE receivers in ONE draft, but ZERO offensive linemen and defensive linemen in that draft. Who the hell would draft all those DBs and receivers in one draft when the jets had a truckload of needs? Dumb shit must think the game is just played exclusively outside the numbers.

jilozzo and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Sack exchange

To be fair lol we did not need anymore D lineman, we drafted in 1st round over and over...

17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Macc was worse. However, we’ve got to stop these arsenic vs cyanide arguments.

I don’t know what the opposite of a Hall of Fane is but we’ve got the most representatives in anti-Canton.

18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

To be fair, Mike MacMoron drafted a grand total of three offensive lineman in Five years with the jets--Two in round 5 and 1 in late round three. The patriots average two offensive lineman per draft. Offensive line is THE position that needs the most players per snap. To be fair, Mike MacMoron IS the reason that the jets roster sucks. Keep defending him if you want--I am glad he is gone and not surprised no one else has given him a job.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Sack exchange

I was making joke, the Macc idiot kept drafting D lineman. And the regimes before him, so not drafting anymore was good thing! Terrible GM, no OL, many WR missed, and Hack...

tomdeb likes this.
  20. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Well we know that’s not true, he was my source for many NYDN hit jobs. Think this is the Popes way of kinda staying relevant. Nobody knows where MAC is, so nobody can really deny it. That said, is it really that cool? You have out 2nd worst GM ever advice..any you wanna brag about that?